Truck vs Rig

LaceyA

Forum Crew Member
Im new to this site :) Im working on my emt-b and then headed to paramedic classes. I work for a hospital right now that i love! Im trying to see if working in the ER as a paramedic is worth it? The EMS Service here is ok but not to sure i want to work for them! Has any one worked in the ER as a paramedic? Pros vs Cons on both.

Thanks!!

Also debating on getting my RN after i have my Paramedic, any one else see any
Advantages of having both?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I worked in the ER as a medic. What you can do in one ER you cannot do in others though. In the hospital, your job description and title provides your scope of practice. One ER I worked in my Job title was ER Paramedic, and I could function as a full medic and had a full patient load where I was primary. At my current ER, I am an ER Tech. That means I just splint, drop lines, do EKGs, and assist nurses.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I never worked as a paramedic or an EMT in the ER, but I would strongly suggest that you continue on to get your RN. More room for advancement, better pay, and more options in general.

I currently work as both an EMT and an RN, and I like doing both! If you have both, that obviously leaves more options open. Plus, there's the possibility that it will make you more marketable if you decide to do flight nursing or something similar, though others with more experience with this might disagree!

Angel

Paramedic
If you want to be a nurse, skip medic (for now) get your RN and challenge to become a medic. You'll still have to complete an internship but you just saved yourself so much time and money.
If I wanted to be a nurse, I would've gone this route.

OP
OP
LaceyA

LaceyA

Forum Crew Member
If you want to be a nurse, skip medic (for now) get your RN and challenge to become a medic. You'll still have to complete an internship but you just saved yourself so much time and money.
If I wanted to be a nurse, I would've gone this route.

Well For me this is the fastest way to get to my RN and the least Cost wise. I work full time and have a daughter so i can only do classes in the eveings. Its going to take me 2 almost 3 years to get to my RN. My EMT-B is only 4 months and then My Medic class is 14 months then my RN is only 3 semsters :) I know its going to take a while and im ok with that because i dont have any other way.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
As mentioned above, job descriptions unfortunately vary between EDs, and of course positions. In my ER I can do straight sticks as an EMT-B, can can't flush an IV. An ER nearby only allows a CNA scope that doesn't even include EKGs.

One thing to note is that if you start in a hospital now as a tech or paramedic, that same hospital may just promote you once you obtain your RN. That's how the hospital system I'm in does it, and it happens all the time. If you start on a truck now, you'll have to go hunting again for an RN position. Both sides have their pros and cons, which really vary by outlook in the area, and your personal preference. Do you want the experience of working on a truck? Do you specifically want to be an RN in the ED or ICU, or are you looking more at internal medicine or long term care? Bunch of factors. Glad to see you have a solid route planned though. Good luck!

TimRaven

Forum Crew Member
I can't speak for other areas, but here in SF Bay Area. ER Tech often gets nearly twice the pay than EMT on rigs.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
IN my area medics do not operate in the hospital setting at all. We have 2 hospitals that use EMTs as ER techs. Their pay is around $15-$17/hr.

However I don't really know if I would consider them EMTs since their job duties are vastly different from what EMT classes teach.