Tribute: A Day in the Life of Paramedics, EMT's & Firefighters

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
sorry for the double post, I'm special

Last edited by a moderator:

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
Wow, I have to say that video made us look far cooler than we really are.

are you serious? First Responders are THE coolest people ever. I would KILL to be in your position (actually not kill, just maybe a small fist fight lol). But seriously, not everybody gets to say that they save lives. And all the awesome equipment and gear and stuff you guys use? Call me a child but I still love firetrucks and police cars lol (and ambulances too, of course). Keep it up; most people I know wouldn't see an EMT or Medic as "cool". But, just think of how many poeple would be dead if they weren't around? Another idea to ponder from the great philosopher Dr. "Dr. Pepper"

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
So if I'm a guy with ear piercings you wouldn't even give me an application??? that's pretty shallow as is your whole thinking on the subject. Sucks to be you to be bypassing some great practitioners just because of some tattoos and/or piercings. I got my tattoos to always show and wear my two loves... my kids (the 3 stars) and Music. If I was gonna get them where they were hidden all the time then why get them! Kinda pointless.

I look very clean and professional and I got ink on my arms... pic is on my profile.. Sound's like I wouldn't want to work for you anyway... because if your that superficial about a few tats or piercings that ppl have... then I would hate to see your view and management of other issues.

Healthcare is a profession that is built around diversity and acceptance and being objective.

I would give you an application, process and realize your chance would be neel to none. If you wear piercings to the interview and are able to display tattoos with short sleeves, then you will not be hired ... period. Sorry, I have too many applicants that can be great practitioners and at the same time present the professional image our clients wants.

Yes, even all the local hospitals have a "no jewelry" rule as only wedding band and watches as well as no visible tattoos. Even false nails are not allowed due to potential way to harbor bacteria.

Again, it's a market. I receive about 4-8 EMT applicants daily and 4-5 Paramedics weekly. It is competition for a job, and yes appearance is just one part makes the difference in the applicant.

Alike driving record, it's your business; just realize how much it will affect your professional career.
R/r 911

reaper

Working Bum
So if I'm a guy with ear piercings you wouldn't even give me an application??? that's pretty shallow as is your whole thinking on the subject.
Why am I going to waste your time and my time with an interview. If you show up to pick up or turn in an application with piercings and tats showing, then you have showed me that you cannot take being professional seriously!
Sucks to be you to be bypassing some great practitioners just because of some tattoos and/or piercings.
Who says I am passing up on great practitioners? You have shown your judgement to me, by where you choose to place your tattoos or wear your piercings to a business. There are plenty of great people looking for a job, that take professionalism seriously.
I got my tattoos to always show and wear my two loves... my kids (the 3 stars) and Music. If I was gonna get them where they were hidden all the time then why get them! Kinda pointless.

I look very clean and professional and I got ink on my arms... pic is on my profile.. Sound's like I wouldn't want to work for you anyway... because if your that superficial about a few tats or piercings that ppl have... then I would hate to see your view and management of other issues.

People are lining up to work where I do, as it is a top notch service. So, they can be picky about their image, if that is what they choose to do.
Healthcare is a profession that is built around diversity and acceptance and being objective.

Health care is about the Pt's. not about the providers freedoms or personal expressions.;)

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Like I said as a personal example... I have had numerous, numerous, numerous, and numerous patients COMPLIMENT and say how much they like my tattoos..... as have many other providers. When when I tell them that each star is for one of my kids with the word Eternity... they think that is really cool for a Father to do.

You guys are assuming in your thinking that every single patient or the majority of patients view tattoos in a negative light and this is the furthest from the truth. I don't know what your observation has been with this or if you have even been in a position to observe patient reactions to tattoos, but my observation has been nothing but positive and definitely not negative.

Healthcare is about patients and not personal expression... ur right... However, we are also individuals who have lives outside of healthcare and we have the right to be expressive in those lives as long as its ethical and does not incite bad feelings from distasteful tattoos when we come back to work. You don't have to like it nor does every patient have to absolutely like it. That is a human impossibility to please every single person.

I have nothing against policies that require tattoos to be covered while working or piercings removed while working. But to not hire someone because of tattoos and assume all patients find them offensive is in my opinion poor practice... just my opinion which is no more right or wrong than ne one elses.

oneluv79

Forum Crew Member
Like I said as a personal example... I have had numerous, numerous, numerous, and numerous patients COMPLIMENT and say how much they like my tattoos..... as have many other providers. When when I tell them that each star is for one of my kids with the word Eternity... they think that is really cool for a Father to do.

You guys are assuming in your thinking that every single patient or the majority of patients view tattoos in a negative light and this is the furthest from the truth. I don't know what your observation has been with this or if you have even been in a position to observe patient reactions to tattoos, but my observation has been nothing but positive and definitely not negative.

Healthcare is about patients and not personal expression... ur right... However, we are also individuals who have lives outside of healthcare and we have the right to be expressive in those lives as long as its ethical and does not incite bad feelings from distasteful tattoos when we come back to work. You don't have to like it nor does every patient have to absolutely like it. That is a human impossibility to please every single person.

I have nothing against policies that require tattoos to be covered while working or piercings removed while working. But to not hire someone because of tattoos and assume all patients find them offensive is in my opinion poor practice... just my opinion which is no more right or wrong than ne one elses.

AMEN......

oneluv79:)

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
True it is about the patients.

However, this is much bigger then health care, its about society still judging people based on appearance rather then merit.

You wouldn't judge someone by the color of their skin.

No offense but prejudice is prejudice.

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
I have never had a complaint about any of my tattoos.

But it seems here in Chicago, every stage of fire/EMS/medical fields has heavily tattooed people. We're just used to it. :shrugs:

surname_levi

Forum Crew Member
im a tattoo feller who would wait until after i get the job reveal the tattoos. if the company wants them covered up, i'll do it. its just the way places do things sometimes.

simple to me

medic417

The Truth Provider
You guys are assuming in your thinking that every single patient or the majority of patients view tattoos in a negative light and this is the furthest from the truth.

Healthcare is about patients and not personal expression... ur right... However, we are also individuals who have lives outside of healthcare and we have the right to be expressive in those lives as long as its ethical and does not incite bad feelings from distasteful tattoos when we come back to work.

Never said every patient hates tats, but enough do so a professional would attempt to avoid offending.

On your own time do what you want as long as you can come into work and be and look like a professional.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Never said every patient hates tats, but enough do so a professional would attempt to avoid offending.

Sorry dude, but I beg to differ on that claim. There are far less patients offended than are. If your claim is true and I offended so many of my patients, then why did so many give compliments on them? Patients also want to be taken care of by people who they can relate to and are real.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief

On your own time do what you want as long as you can come into work and be and look like a professional.

What gives you the right to determine whats professional?

Sorry but I dont agree and I dont even have a tattoo, piercing or different hair style.

remote_medic

Forum Crew Member
I had seen this video a while back as it was supposed to be a recruitment video. Sorry, I still don't like it. The music sucks. It maybe a Canada thing but most of the EMS I know does not allow beard, shaggy hair, sleeved tattos and running to and from the ambulance or have family members in the back of the rig.

Just a difference in opinion. Something I would not use to illustrate professionalism.

R/r 911

Its actually a music video filmed by a punk rock band called "alexisonfire". The song name is accidents. Its a very well done video, the music isn't too bad either. Someone 'ripped' it for the thrice song and tried to make it fit. The actors in the video (shaggy hair, tattos, etc) are the actual band members of alexisonfire

Chris

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Its actually a music video filmed by a punk rock band called "alexisonfire". The song name is accidents. Its a very well done video, the music isn't too bad either. Someone 'ripped' it for the thrice song and tried to make it fit. The actors in the video (shaggy hair, tattos, etc) are the actual band members of alexisonfire

Chris

Depends upon how you define taste of music ;)

R/r 911

Afflixion

Forum Captain

Chris

Alexisonfire is not punk rock BTW

Was going to stay out of this, but I (as one who has multiple tattoos) do believe if you are going to get tattoos you should A) get them so that they are not visible when wearing a uniform or B ) get them where you please , but expect not to get hired in a vast multitude of professional careers. I'm sorry but no matter how "nice your ink" is or how conservative it is (kind of an oxymoron there) seeing someones last name on their forearms is not in any way shape or form professional.

It may be we need to stop judging people by their appearance, but let's face it we haven't and most likely will not for many decades to come. A lot is said about one by looks alone most interviewers can basically decide if they're going to give you an opportunity at their company in the first 5 minutes. I can understand allowing earrings on males, but not in a million years would I ever accept one with facial piercings in their face for a professional job. If you don't like that view then you need to face the facts of reality as you will be hard pressed to get a job within EMS or any of a vast multitude of professional jobs.

OP
OP
djmedic913

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
I really did not want to get involved with a BS tattoo and piercing war...BUT

isn't there always a big but involved....

I have tattoos and piercings...but they are covered.

As for people with sleeve tattoos or forearm tattoos, they do make long sleeve shirts and long sleeve uniform shirts.

People need to relax with appearance.