Tribute: A Day in the Life of Paramedics, EMT's & Firefighters

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
I ran across the Thrice song a while back and then the video, granted the actors arerough looking I know quite a few medics with full sleeve tattoos that work with them showing, The hair not so much but one guy I worked with looked like a mountain man most of the time.

All the guys I know with full arm tats wear long sleeves, even in the summer. Sucks for them, but at least they aren't wearing a skull and crossbones on their forearms when trying to save someone's life.

Medic744

Forum Captain
The private service I worked for required covering any tattoos that might show but the 911 service I work for sees things different. Most of the guys are with a large metro fire dept and aren't required to cover them there and we don't require it either because Im sure as far as they are concerned my tattoos are not going to bother you if you really need my help (I dont have any that show). The one guy who has the sleeves is covering childhood scars on his elbows and arms.

Sasha

Forum Chief
The private service I worked for required covering any tattoos that might show but the 911 service I work for sees things different. Most of the guys are with a large metro fire dept and aren't required to cover them there and we don't require it either because Im sure as far as they are concerned my tattoos are not going to bother you if you really need my help (I dont have any that show). The one guy who has the sleeves is covering childhood scars on his elbows and arms.

Being sick and "really needing help" doesn't necessairly mean splayed out on the stretcher in a hypoxic stupor. Either way, you are there for the patients and anything that reasonably can make them uncomfortable should be taken care of. I know a lot of people, young and old, who feel that tattoos are disgraceful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
But Sasha, it is not about the patient.

Oh you're right. I forgot. EMS is all about the EMT/Paramedic and their need to express themselves and the inability to find another outlet for self expression besides writing all over visible parts of their body!

Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Crew Member
When I was doing clinicals and field internship for Medic school, we were not allowed to have any facial piercings, only one piercing per ear and tattoos had to be covered. While this a was non-issue for me as I have no piercings and my two tattoos are on my upper arms, I did feel it was something of a double standard as none of the hospitals, FDs or EMS services we were working with had that policy.

When I worked for a small, private ambulance company, some of our Medics looked like the proverbial "soup sandwich" most of the time. Now I'm not exactly fit and trim, but at least I can keep my uniform clean, my shirt tail tucked in and my boots shined. I keep my hair short just for convenience, you don't have to comb a crew-cut when you roll out of your rack at 0300.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
When I was doing clinicals and field internship for Medic school, we were not allowed to have any facial piercings, only one piercing per ear and tattoos had to be covered. While this a was non-issue for me as I have no piercings and my two tattoos are on my upper arms, I did feel it was something of a double standard as none of the hospitals, FDs or EMS services we were working with had that policy.

Seriously? Did you see people working in the field with facial piercings? I have never seen it, and would be astounded if I did. Never mind the appearance aspect, how about personal safety? Too much risk of having it torn out by any number of things, and I'd also be concerned about infection. I don't want to have any more holes in my body that can be exposed to another person's infectious diseases than I already do.

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
I used to look like a mountain man when I first started in EMS, as that was just how I looked, and my company had no policy.

I shaved to a short goatee and got a buzzcut and I'm really likin it though, so that'll probably stay. It does look a bit more professional.

I have visible tattoos and plan on getting more. My company doesn't mind, and the fire services (what I want to do eventually) don't care.

I dont think it's a big deal.

Some guy has facial piercings.

I don't get why people get those anyways lol.

Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Crew Member
Seriously? Did you see people working in the field with facial piercings? I have never seen it, and would be astounded if I did. Never mind the appearance aspect, how about personal safety? Too much risk of having it torn out by any number of things, and I'd also be concerned about infection. I don't want to have any more holes in my body that can be exposed to another person's infectious diseases than I already do.
Yes. Nose, lips, and eyebrow piercings. And, I agree with you, that would just NOT be safe.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
What ever your personal feelings, judging based on personal appearence has no place in society. We should have learned our lesson as a society by now.

Side note, I am a white male with no tattoos or piercings.

reaper

Working Bum
You are in a profession where personal appearance is everything!

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
You are in a profession where personal appearance is everything!

We live in a world thats consumed by personal appearence, unfortunatley.

I worked in a field thats more concerned with outside perception then merit.

I am not overly concerned with appearence, call me crazy I usually base my opinions of people on substance as opposed to hair do or how many tattoos they have.

-Sorry for any typos attempting to post from my phone.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We live in a world thats consumed by personal appearence, unfortunatley.

I worked in a field thats more concerned with outside perception then merit.

I am not overly concerned with appearence, call me crazy I usually base my opinions of people on substance as opposed to hair do or how many tattoos they have.

-Sorry for any typos attempting to post from my phone.

The point is, it does not matter what you think. Seriously, this is again a people business and not an individual business. As my EMS administrator describes, individual thoughts, expressions, etc is great ....on their day off but when you decide to come to work or work in and represent the company and the view of what the public wants, then you have chosen to give up those rights.

Mohawk spiked hair maybe great, expander rings in the ear lobes is your thing, so be it as long it is not in or worn on duty. Remember this is supposed to be a profession. Profession can place regulations upon the dress, moral codes, and other supposed "rights" that many will have to choose if they enter it.

You or even I may not care, but that it is not the point. Many studies involving public relations, satisfaction of what patients want is what determines our profession. They are the consumers and we are nothing more than the providers.

R/r 911

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I can honestly say that while doing clinicals both in the hospital and in the field, I have received countless (to my surprise) compliments on my ink. In the ED, it wasn't uncommon for an older person to comment nicely on my tattoos. I remember one older lady who was prob in her 80s (dont remember ne more) that turned to her daughter while I was starting her IV and said "look at his nice tattoos".

I have never experienced any obstacle from my tattoos.... just nice compliments from patients frequently. At the end of the semester, one of the nurse managers was very polite and said their policy was to have no tattoos showing which was totally cool... I respect that and just wear long sleeves now. Kinda odd how I got to go all semester without covering them up and they didnt say ne thing... but no big deal.

I find it also helps to relate to the younger patients who like myself are acustomed to tattoos and piercings and the things that the older ppl from other generations just dont get or look down upon.

Image is very important... but image is also relative too. What you may deem a poor image, I deem an appropriate image.... so who has the right to say what is poor image? Yes I know the replies will be, "your employer", "yaddy, yaddy, ya"... and then we get to border micromanaging. Because to one age population is one opinion, and to another age population its another opinion. As long as providers don't have inappropriate tattoos showing or certain piercings that pose a safety hazard I dont' see the issue. The shell doesnt make the person, the inner being makes the person. And when you conduct yourself professionally and act with skill and knowledge, the patient will notice that over any tattoo.

From my experience, people have become very complacent with tattoos in society and more and more people are getting them. The many reality shows on TV (LA Ink, Miami Ink, Inked, etc) all play apart in this trend. As the younger workforce enters the EMS ranks, there may be a point where its so common place for applicants to have tattoos that you cant policy against them. There was an article in one of the trade magazines that talked specifically about EMS hiring and management and the current generation workforce with tattoos, etc.

What do you do when you have a policy that states no open showing of tattoos and its 101 degrees out and high humidity? Are you still gonna make your providers wear long sleeves and possibly risk a heat related illness and make them work miserable? Just curious what some would do in that situation.

reaper

Working Bum
For me, anyone with an arm full of tattoos would not make it past the interview process. If I did hire someone with one tat showing, then yes they would keep it covered or not work.

I am not against tats and have some myself. But, I used my head and sound judgement when getting them and where they were put. If someone else could not do that, then they will be uncomfortable working around me. As they will keep any visible ones covered at all times.

Any facial piercings, besides women with earrings, don't even get the application to start with!

This is a profession and I don't care what seems to be the norm. I expect a professional looking worker, to portray a professional appearance!

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
For me, anyone with an arm full of tattoos would not make it past the interview process. If I did hire someone with one tat showing, then yes they would keep it covered or not work.

I am not against tats and have some myself. But, I used my head and sound judgement when getting them and where they were put. If someone else could not do that, then they will be uncomfortable working around me. As they will keep any visible ones covered at all times.

Any facial piercings, besides women with earrings, don't even get the application to start with!

This is a profession and I don't care what seems to be the norm. I expect a professional looking worker, to portray a professional appearance!

That is your opinion, you hide them due to perception of others, correct? This is where we differ I am not concerned with your appearance just your ability to do your job.

Side note we have a doc in one of our ERs that has an eybrow ring, thankfully the hospital didnt share your opinions of unprofessionalism and robbed us and the residents of our communities of one of the finest ER physicians I and my co-workers have ever had the privledge of working with.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
So if I'm a guy with ear piercings you wouldn't even give me an application??? that's pretty shallow as is your whole thinking on the subject. Sucks to be you to be bypassing some great practitioners just because of some tattoos and/or piercings. I got my tattoos to always show and wear my two loves... my kids (the 3 stars) and Music. If I was gonna get them where they were hidden all the time then why get them! Kinda pointless.

I look very clean and professional and I got ink on my arms... pic is on my profile.. Sound's like I wouldn't want to work for you anyway... because if your that superficial about a few tats or piercings that ppl have... then I would hate to see your view and management of other issues.

Healthcare is a profession that is built around diversity and acceptance and being objective.

medic417

The Truth Provider
My opinion which is no tats, piercings etc visible does not matter. But patients opinion does. Many still view such items as signs of rebellion and ignorance. So if you show up you offend and instill lack of confidence even if you are the best ever. So why do we have this discussion again and again? Just cover/remove/etc at work. Self expression is for personal time not work.