Touching toes or no job?

Medic x

Forum Ride Along
This is my first post. I have a question for everyone. Recently I got my Paramedic license. I've been offered a job and am thrilled to finally use my training. Long story short, I failed my agility test. Passed it with flying colors, except I came 12 inches from touching my toes. I left disappointed but I was given two weeks to stretch and retest. Now I'm 4-5 inches away. I was told it at least has to be close to be hired. Have you guys been through anything like this?

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Pretty standard as far as a physical and it's requirements are concerned. As to fixing it that depends on the reason you are unable to perform said test. Only reasons I can see is Dunlap disease in which case no training in the world could possibly allow you to improve fast enough to obtain the position. If that is not the case, just google leg stretches and yoga for hints on improving your flexibility.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Can you like use compression garments to compress your pudge making it easier to bend over?

TheGodfather

Forum Lieutenant
IMO that test is absurd..... i have had a surgery that has left me incapable of touching my toes, and i am more than capable of performing well above the minimum job requirements.

just my 2 cents

OP
OP
M

Medic x

Forum Ride Along
I'm 6'3" 215lbs. I eat healthy and workout on regular basis. The problem is I lifted heavy weights for years and neglected stretching. The therapists all tell me it's an awful test and no evidence shows if your not flexible your more likely to have a back injury.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Lob off your feet.

No toes to touch no way you can fail. My patients have proven you can ambulate around on nubs just fine.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Just be careful when you scratch your eye.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
or pick your nose

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Sue the agency for tall people/ inflexible discrimination. Nothing I've ever done in EMS has ever required me to be flexible enough to touch my toes while keeping my legs straight, and as such, is not a necessary requirement to do the job of a Paramedic.

>_>

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
that's ridiculous lol

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'm trying to figure out a way to explain why that test is necessary in EMS without having to ban myself.

Ahh, got it. It's a necessary part of employer/employee relations. :ph34r:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'm trying to figure out a way to explain why that test is necessary in EMS without having to ban myself.

Ahh, got it. It's a necessary part of employer/employee relations. :ph34r:

I think you mean an involuntary vacation. Ban is such a harsh word :p

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
For the past 15 years law enforcement has been using the Cooper Institute Standards for phyiscal fitness as a way testing candidates. If you look it up, you will see they have a chart of standards based on gender and age.

Some agencies have entrance and exit requirements for the training academy.

From what I have heard, Fire Service and EMS are phasing that standard in.

It is based on a 1 1/2 mile run, sit and reach, sit-ups and bench press.

Nobody is ever going to run that far, or need to do sit-ups, it is merely a way to access general fitness in a fair handed way. And there probably is but I am not aware of any law enforcement organizations with in-service testing. However, I read somewhere that with the economy and more applicants and less funding, LEO, Fire and EMS will soon all use the Cooper Standard both when hiring, training, and yearly qualifying.

Perhaps your employer wants to avoid things like, IDK, like a too short person dumping the patient off a stretcher. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

In addition to stretching, start walking more, avoid the elevator, park in the far end of the lot, and stretch while waiting on line. Figure out how you are going to do it.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I guess they figure that if you can touch your toes with straight legs, it's likely that you do at least some measure of physical training. Also, they figure that if you're flexible enough to do that, the likelihood of a back injury is less than someone that cannot do the toe touch. EMS has enough people who are obviously physically inactive to begin with. It's not asking too much to have at least some standard of physical ability to qualify for the job, to protect you, your partner, and the pt from injury. There are also enough 98# weaklings on the job as well that call for lift assists on many of their calls.

A common requirement in EMS is to be able to lift 125# by yourself, and 250# with assistance as an entrance requirement. You're simply not physically capable of working in the field if you need frequent lift assists for patients in the 200#-250# range. Females and males alike can be trained to this minimum standard. It's just that many choose not to do the requisite strength training, and rely on others to do the lifting for them.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
In my experience it is not the gross physical strength that determines lifting ability.

It is the lack of technique.

This includes building the proper muscle groups. Nobody bench presses a patient.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
In my experience it is not the gross physical strength that determines lifting ability.

It is the lack of technique.

This includes building the proper muscle groups. Nobody bench presses a patient.

Both are equally important. Also, the weaker or less coordinated partner can get the stronger partner injured instead due to their shortcomings. I've seen it happen numerous times.

If I could establish a physical test, it would involve the Deadlift, a Farmer's Carry, the Front Squat, Prone Plank, and some sort of horizontal row.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If I could establish a physical test, it would involve the Deadlift, a Farmer's Carry, the Front Squat, Prone Plank, and some sort of horizontal row.

This makes far more sense to me than touching your toes.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
I can run 5 five miles, have no problem lifting a 250 pound pt. with a partner. I lift by keeping my back straight, load close to me, and lifting with my legs. But I'll be damned if I can touch my toes. I just tried and I still must be 5+ inches away. There has to be a better test.

OP
OP
M

Medic x

Forum Ride Along
For years I have done a well balanced weight lifting and cardio routine. I realize I'm the only one to blame all this time for not stretching. However, it's a poor test and I think unless your a yoga freak, its fairly dangerous. Ligaments don't stretch, they tear. And the quicker a person grows is also a factor. My 85 y/o aunt can touch her toes. Would they hire her?