Tips for Getting Hired!

HemoPneumo

Forum Ride Along
Searched for a thread containing any information related to this but couldn't find one.

I'm winding down to the end of my EMT-B course. I take my final exam for the class on the 13th, scope on the 16th, and then I'll be taking the NREMT after that. Assuming I pass everything ;) I'd like to get on with an agency to get some field experience and test the waters before I really push for my Paramedic. Could some of you offer tips and tricks to make myself appear more desirable on a resumé? What do EMS services look for in an applicant?
This is my very first experience with anything in this field. I'm dead in the center of the city I live in, and my city department doesn't take volunteers. To make matters worse, I can't volunteer at a nearby county station because I don't live in their district. Many of the people in my class are long time volunteer firefighters, paid firefighters, pharmacy technicians, and a few CNA's. I know many of them are planning on going to the EMS field- So I'm expecting local EMS providers to be flooded with applications when the class ends. How can I get a leg up on them? Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If you want to know how to make yourself stand out, then share more about your background, age, jobs, education you have thus far. If you need to do it in private then send me a message. If you have no history and are young, it is tough but not impossible.

Have you researched the local companies? Who are they? Have you networked with them? Do you know their needs? So many applicants fail to do the required studies prior to even applying to ensure success.

Myth versus reality: Of course EVERYONE in your class says they will apply and want to be in the streets! Reality: Very few follow through and many are DQ'd before they even start. Do not panic and feel like the streets will be flooded with new grads job seeking. I have found majority of applicants and new grads to be slow (lazy) with job searches and they think a few minutes maybe even an hour of keyboard time constitutes a "job search" and then wonder why no one contacts them.

Reality: There ARE a lot of EMTs out there already, your graduating class is not the concern...it is all those who have been searching before you. That is your competition.

What area are you in without disclosing your exact location unless you are ok with it?

More info from you = more answers/advice from us.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Okay so #1 everything AK said is definitely true(and listen to that :)). We need more information, especially previous jobs and education.
Some helpful tips I remembered when I got my first job(Non-EMS), but still C.S
1. Make 3-4 copies of your application, some employers may "lose" your application to test perseverance, I know for a fact the state departments do. It actually does deter some people.
2. Network Network Network, one of my favorite sayings is "it's not what you know, but who you know". Who you know will get you IN the door, what you know will KEEP you in.
3. Never believe what other people say, they say they are applying as AK previously stated. I'd venture to say 50% if not more, won't. There are A TON of employment opportunities. Where i live, there is a minimum of 5 places you can work as an EMT.
4. Practice interviews if your young, and don't have much experience with them.

The rest is dependent upon where you are age, education and work history.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
What the above posters have said, but might I also add be open to relocating. I'm not from the Carolinas so I don't know what the EMT market is like there, but some agencies pay for paramedic school with a commitment contract. Work some "Googley magic" and see what agencies offer what in your area.

Also, many places have age requirements to drive an ambulance for insurance purposes.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Myth versus reality: Of course EVERYONE in your class says they will apply and want to be in the streets! Reality: Very few follow through and many are DQ'd before they even start. Do not panic and feel like the streets will be flooded with new grads job seeking. I have found majority of applicants and new grads to be slow (lazy) with job searches and they think a few minutes maybe even an hour of keyboard time constitutes a "job search" and then wonder why no one contacts them.

Reality: There ARE a lot of EMTs out there already, your graduating class is not the concern...it is all those who have been searching before you. That is your competition.
The above is definitely true. You can be somewhat assured in your job search. For some reason many of those applying for their first EMT jobs cannot even fulfill the most basic requirements of being an applicant, such as showing even minimal interest/knowledge of the job and company, shaving two-day old scruff, tucking in your shirt, speaking confidently and with eye contact, etc. etc.

If you're competing for a few positions, watch out for the guy coming from the next hospital over.

OP
OP
HemoPneumo

HemoPneumo

Forum Ride Along
I'm currently located in Alamance County, NC. To my knowledge there's several EMS providers in my area, including a couple private ambulance companies, but I'm not sure how or where to apply. I'll have to get on making phone calls, sending E-Mails and scouring google. Essentially my two chief concerns are my age and having zero previous experience. I'm currently 19, and I believe you have to be 21 to get your Emergency Vehicle Driving cert?

My only workforce experience is the same company I've been with since high school. I got a job working for Harris Teeter (A grocery store if you aren't familiar with it.) When I first started out I was a bagger, but I've since moved up the ladder and I work as a Customer Service Clerk now. I guess the good thing about it is that I deal with people constantly, day in and day out. I work at a store that typically does $100k+ in sales a day, and I'm usually the one managing the front end, so I would say I have experience allocating resources and generally dealing with a lot of stimuli at once. I've been with them since I was a senior in high school and I've been graduated two years now. I haven't branched out or tried to apply anywhere else because I am semi-happy here and I don't believe I'd get the same amount of hours working anywhere else. I just made it a point to commit myself here and diversify within the company rather than having several jobs within the span of two years like some of my friends. I'm not in bad shape, I work out regularly. My criminal record is completely clean, not even a speeding ticket. It's just the matter of having no experience or schooling outside of my current EMT class, and having one place of employment on my resume.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I will leave the detail stuff to folks like AK who are a little more knowledgeable on such thing, but one thing I can say is practice some interviews. My first interview at a 911 dept started ok then I just plain ****ed it up. I was given some info for a scenario with distracting details and it got me. I technically had the right answer, but my way of getting there by no means made me stand out in the way I wanted.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
My only workforce experience is the same company I've been with since high school. I got a job working for Harris Teeter (A grocery store if you aren't familiar with it.) When I first started out I was a bagger, but I've since moved up the ladder and I work as a Customer Service Clerk now. I guess the good thing about it is that I deal with people constantly, day in and day out. I work at a store that typically does $100k+ in sales a day, and I'm usually the one managing the front end, so I would say I have experience allocating resources and generally dealing with a lot of stimuli at once. I've been with them since I was a senior in high school and I've been graduated two years now. I haven't branched out or tried to apply anywhere else because I am semi-happy here and I don't believe I'd get the same amount of hours working anywhere else. I just made it a point to commit myself here and diversify within the company rather than having several jobs within the span of two years like some of my friends. I'm not in bad shape, I work out regularly. My criminal record is completely clean, not even a speeding ticket. It's just the matter of having no experience or schooling outside of my current EMT class, and having one place of employment on my resume.
So i'm going to do this in a 123 format:
1. Can you say you are THE manager for the customer service folks?
2. Are you in college/planning to attend soon?
3. I dont know of an emergency vehicle driving cert.. I know of an EVOC class. (emergency vehicle operators course) if im not mistaken. (this was mine https://troopers.ny.gov/Academy/EVOC/)
4. As a young person i find all too often that people don't network themselves. In my personal opinion in order to get to where you need to go/be in the current world, you need to know the person in charge, to skip all the mumbo jumbo at the base level. So my personal recommendation would be to try to network yourself in whatever field your aiming for(currently EMS). Just going to be blunt, chances are your not going to get the first job you apply to. I know I didn't. As previously mentioned you need to work on your interview skills. I can't help much with EMS style interviews because I got my PDM gig, based off of recommendations and where I work. However, I can say my State interviews(3) were all very "difficult" they throw lots of stuff at you and see where your breaking point is. While they were difficult I also think you have to be CONFIDENT! The people that usually do interviews for new hires have been in "the game" for a long time..
5. Alamance county EMS seems to be set up pretty well (working for the county folks that is), but truley you live there and will be able to see who is set up good, who only hires veterans of EMS, who hires new folks, ect ect.
6. ASK YOUR INSTRUCTOR, network will the lab teachers, they teach it, chances are they will know where to go, or who to talk too.

This is my 2 cents :D

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
The first thing a future employer sees is your application/resume. Make sure you are correcting any spelling errors and/or grammar mistakes. It looks pretty bad if you misuse to too and two or your and you're for example.

If you are called for an interview research the company; they will ask you what you know about the company!

I was a hiring manager for 3 years for a company before switching careers and I can tell you without a doubt that good eye contact, a confident handshake and being well dressed is key.

And on a final note, make sure you remember to breathe, seriously! Don't get so worked up that you get light headed. Part of this field is being able to stay calm under stressful situations, show them you can stay calm during your interview.

Good luck!

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
As someone who interviews fairly well, I can tell you that calm confidence wins the game. You want to look sharp, but not overly eager; you want to stand out of the crowd, but not as a cocky show-off; you need to be able to show your potential employer that you're the one they want to hire. Body language is a huge thing, same as clear, concise answers to the questions asked. If you dwell on a question for too long, the interviewer will see it as a sign of weakness (i.e. you're lacking experience, can't think quick on your feet or are unable to improvise). As pointed before, make sure to do your research on the company, have a good idea about what to expect and, most important, don't lose your sense of humour. A good, timely joke can do wonders during an interview.