Things left behind.....

rjw225

Forum Probie
I left our portable o2 in a different areas rig one time. My driver blew the rear main seal of our transmission and got a local department to transport us to the hospital. I drove into the city when I got off and they had empted the tank but they did give it back.

I don’t know how many “ride a longs” got left at the ER because they wonder off.

I misplace a penlight at least once a week. About a year ago I switched to using my mag light and have not lost one yet.

I left our spare / old deliberator unit on a PT that we loaded on to a helicopter one time. We ran into them at the ER and they brought it to us and told us we need to update.

I checked in our drug box at the ER and forgot to check out a new one. Right after the driver started up the rig I realized that the cabinet lock was still locked to my clip board.
It's so funny that you left behind ride-alongs! :D I did my EMT-B field clinical a few weeks ago and made dang sure to stay close to the crew I was riding with. :)

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
Working for a rural volunteer service, we use our personal cellphones to call hospitals and dispatch, have left mine at our station, on scenes, in the rigs, and at our local hospital, luckily havent left it at either of our frequent hospitals we take inter-facilities to.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
cell phones, keys, radio, stetcher, bags of equip, my mind. Forgot them all.

tubagal2007

Forum Ride Along
Probably the worst I've had left behind was a radio at the scene. My partner and I responded to a stroke call and I guess we were both kinda preoccupied, because it wasnt until we got to the hospital (20minutes away) that he realized he didn't have his radio. (how do you miss that?!?) It had been left at the house. Needless to say, he was a bit embaressed when we went back to get it.

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
I've left pens, penlights, notepads, extra gloves, a trash bag(got a call while doing house keeping), sun glasses, hats, pillows, partners, and interns.

Never left any really important equipment behind, though.

Yeah. I mean, it's not like your partner is important or anything....

oy... left a gurney at the ER last night and went on a run. needless to say, fire was a little pissed at me. :unsure:

Eh, they'll get over. You can get mad at them when they leave something next time

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Just yesterday morning after a helicopter took off we picked up the marker lights, put them in the side compartment, opened the box door to clean up the truck and I told my crew "That is NOT our backpack" called the bird on the radio and told them they had to come back cause it was their meds. At least they were only 3 minutes away

NYMedic453

Forum Ride Along
This afternoon I got to the station for my shift and the morning crew had left the clipboard at the pt's house from the last call. Thankfully it was just down the street

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Impressive necro thread...Since it's already been resurrected though, I may as well contribute!

The worst thing I've ever heard left behind was a toe. It was a fairly clean amputation, but the patient also had some other injuries and they were flying him out to a higher level trauma center that would also (hopefully) have microsurgery capabilities for reattachment. The helicopter had made it off the ground and just started transport when a trooper found the toe in its carefully packaged and labeled container still on scene. There was a bit of a debate whether a trooper would transport it separately by ground, but the helicopter ended up returning to pick it up. I think it only ended up delaying arrival at the hospital by ~10 minutes, but it was an incredibly cringeworthy radio transmission to overhear. No idea on outcome.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I left the first in bag on scene of a call where we had a critical patient. Nearly everything in the bag is duplicated in the ambulance, with the exception of King tubes and NPAs. We realized it was missing with we reached for an NPA...

Called the supervisor immediately after offloading. He answers (must have had caller ID) because he says "don't even want to hear it. I'm on my way."

He gets there and scolds us for a bit. I was in internship at the time. Me, my preceptor paramedic and EMT were there. He made the point that there were three of us on scene. He looks at my preceptor and says "two of my best employees. You, a preceptor, stong medic, and a supervisor." Then looks to me and says "and you, a superior employee and bright medic intern." Then he looks as my EMT, and says nothing.

I made a point to tell my EMT he wasn't being mean, he just didn't blame him as much. In the end, nothing came of it. Just a lesson not to do it again.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Chef

Forum Crew Member
Nothing too extravagant yet but I did roll out without a cot battery a few weeks ago. Still haven't heard the end of that one. Of course the 1st pt was 350 plus.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
... our truck.
Working P/B, intercepted a brand-new BLS crew for a stroke. We both hop in the back because my partner wants to get everything done en route, the new person driving takes off, and five minutes into the transport, the other crew member turns around and asks us a question. There was a very lengthy discussion later. And, unlike our supervisor, I'm leaving out about half of the dumb decisions that got us to that point.