The right words

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
To the medics out there...if you're running the code, do you prefer to be the one speaking to the family? Do you want your EMT partner speaking to the family, especially if you're concentrating on working the arrest and aren't able to pay constant attention to the family?

One of the nice things about having the FD on scene that is ALS. Normally the fire captain or engineer will be the scribe and can easily talk to family while writing down times for meds administered.

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
No apologies necessary; I've had a long week and let my emotions dictate my response, and for that, I apologize.

I feel ya. I broke out in hives today right after a cardiac arrest. This is the first time this has happened so I'm worried about what caused it. I still got them but they aren't as bad.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
To the medics out there...if you're running the code, do you prefer to be the one speaking to the family? Do you want your EMT partner speaking to the family, especially if you're concentrating on working the arrest and aren't able to pay constant attention to the family?

I prefer for a calm, empathetic person who has demonstrated ability to say the right thing to do this talking. It depends on who my partner is.

With ACLS being what it is nowadays, cardiac arrests aren't that busy, and there's usually plenty of time. Especially if the family's in the room and listening.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

We always have two medics on a code, and as Dana said, there's usually time to talk to the family. CPR with the Lucas device is unnerving even to some professionals, so I always make it a point to explain what is going on in very simple terms.

And I prefer to speak to the family personally.