the 100% directionless thread

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
But, nothing. Call the cops, or if they are already on scene, let them call the coroner an go on about your business. Short report.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Still thinking on the DOS.

My FTO and his partner wasn't phased, naturally.

But I dunno. We didn't even really talk about it at all.

I keep a calm demeanor about things like that and internalize most of my thoughts, but there wasn't a sit-down to talk about our calls. Occasionally a talk in the truck about little things but never any more formal one on one "debrief"

Do I have much to say? I dunno. I just kinda wish he'd put himself in my shoes I guess.

I was not physically sickened in any way. No nausea or anything. But just thinking about it and the whole thing.

I dunno.

What would you do in that position if you are the FTO? Do you wait for your trainee to look uncomfortable or speak up? Do you look to nip things in the bud and have a conversation. I don't know what's normal in most of these settings.

Don’t take this too harshly, but you really need to stop over-thinking things, grow some mature emotional armor and stop trying to throw yourself a self-developmental pity party if you want to be successful in this field. The proper response to a generic home death is “whee, easy paperwork and a break waiting for the cops to get here”, and those who suggest otherwise are laughed out of the profession.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
On a happier note, I am officially looking for a cheap pickup truck to use as the chassis for a camping platform I wish to build. Full-size or at least a long bed, preferably a 4x4, crew cab preferred but not required. I have ideas and wish to build them.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
What would you do in that position if you are the FTO? Do you wait for your trainee to look uncomfortable or speak up? Do you look to nip things in the bud and have a conversation. I don't know what's normal in most of these settings.

Over time your personal response to calls change much like how I’m assuming it did from you’re first day on ift to last. Death is something everyone handles differently & your response sounds completely normal.
We can’t tell you what your FTO should of done but if you ask as many questions at work as you do here you’ll find somebody happy to answer. We’re not all salt in this field but you might be surprised how little you’ll think of a call like you the one you just ran in a few years.
The first call for everything is a learning marker to build on for future calls. This isn’t the last time you’ll keep a call in your mind.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Don’t take this too harshly, but you really need to stop over-thinking things, grow some mature emotional armor and stop trying to throw yourself a self-developmental pity party if you want to be successful in this field. The proper response to a generic home death is “whee, easy paperwork and a break waiting for the cops to get here”, and those who suggest otherwise are laughed out of the profession.

A) Thinking about things is now immature? The first sliver of a thought that comes through my mind is the only correct thing and I can't take the time to go over it and process it?

B) Nobody is throwing a pity party. But I am a human with feelings and I'm still new to the field.

C) The "proper" response? I'm sorry. I must have left my guide on "How to mentally deal with every scenario" on the truck somewhere. I forgot feelings and individuals responses are NREMT "Most correct".

D) Who said anything about a normal home death? If you'd read about it, a mangled broken body on the side of the road isn't exactly normal.

Grandpa didn't just finally have that STEMI that did him in. And even if it did, yes, it's still at least a little shocking to me. Eventually it probably won't be, but I'm not there yet.

Dude got Negligent Vehicular Homicided to death. Or maybe murder. Whatever the term is. We can't really know at this point. But it is a felony crime nevertheless.

We couldn't even cover his rigored body even though he was in full view of everyone and people that knew him because it's a crime scene and last time the body was covered prematurely, EMS had to get DNA tested to be ruled out in the crime.

Hopefully he didn't suffer in that ditch before dying. He's been there for hours, just dead and bring eaten and exposed. Almost naked.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Over time your personal response to calls change much like how I’m assuming it did from you’re first day on ift to last. Death is something everyone handles differently & your response sounds completely normal.
We can’t tell you what your FTO should of done but if you ask as many questions at work as you do here you’ll find somebody happy to answer. We’re not all salt in this field but you might be surprised how little you’ll think of a call like you the one you just ran in a few years.
The first call for everything is a learning marker to build on for future calls. This isn’t the last time you’ll keep a call in your mind.

I know it will. I'm positive of that. But in the moment that doesn't make these questions or feelings disappear.

It's just a lot to mull over. How easily people die so quickly. This wasn't the DNR pt full of edema barely hanging on. It wasn't the pt that barely had a pulse and respiration and everyone new it would be minutes at best.

Dude had more life to live, had.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
I know it will. I'm positive of that. But in the moment that doesn't make these questions or feelings disappear.

It's just a lot to mull over. How easily people die so quickly. This wasn't the DNR pt full of edema barely hanging on. It wasn't the pt that barely had a pulse and respiration and everyone new it would be minutes at best.

Dude had more life to live, had.
Life is fragile. This field will reenforce that.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
I definitely just had an emotional breakdown because I couldn't figure out a lacing pattern

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
How does RAA pay?
You can expect pretty much anything I've seen in Central VA to be roughly the same. Most of what I've seen posted lately is $43-48k starting. I believe RAA starts at $16/hr for medics? Their pay gets better with years, CCT, FTO, etc. But it takes time for it to get really good, however it does get good for those that put in many years. It's on par with the other areas from what I have seen. I know one county north of Richmond has posted something that I believe went up to $58k on their application depending on prior experience? Its FF/P, but also a slower area.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
You know how they say Doctors make the worst patients? I guess I kinda qualify...

Fire alarm in my apartment building went off. And I just rolled over in bed thinking (hoping) it'd get reset and shut off in a minute or two. Nope, kept going, and after thinking I hear sirens I go ahead put on some clothes and took the stairs down, and hey, sure enough my Engine company was here!

Guys came out in a few minutes, I laughed about how those 1st Watch guys actually had to do some work 😅 apparently someone on the floor above mine burned up something in their oven and smoked up the place a bit.

Now they're gone, and I'm back in my apt wondering if I'm to awake to try and go back to sleep cuz i really wanted to sleep in hahaha

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Our family of 2 grew to 3 recently. A decade of busy 24s have groomed me for these times. I’m loving being a dad.
Ditto. We took an almost 10-year hiatus between the girls and our son, but I would definitely agree being an active father and husband has outweighed every other achievement thus far in my life. It's an irreplaceable part of my life.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I didn't think I would be ready for another dog so soon, but I am, and my wife keeps telling me no.