the 100% directionless thread

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Consider my experience

Slowly realizing the advantages of dating someone with a kid.

Like.. All you really have to do is be cool with the kid and you're long term material

When you get involved with a woman with a kid you are in a relationship with mom/kid. It's not just her.

If and when the time comes for you to commit, you're commiting to the Mom to always be there, but of course, when the time comes you can't, you can't. But when you commit to the Mom, you commit to the kid as well. Would it make sense to do anything but that? Just remember, that's a different ball of wax.

When you commit to a kid -- especially a child -- that's way beyond an adult arrangement; it's for real because that's one heart that you will be in more pain about breaking than you ever would be about doing so to Mom.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I went down to pay my deposit on my medic class. They didn't have any of the syllabus ready. I couldn't have found a program that is less compatible with my work schedule.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
When you get involved with a woman with a kid you are in a relationship with mom/kid. It's not just her.

If and when the time comes for you to commit, you're commiting to the Mom to always be there, but of course, when the time comes you can't, you can't. But when you commit to the Mom, you commit to the kid as well. Would it make sense to do anything but that? Just remember, that's a different ball of wax.

When you commit to a kid -- especially a child -- that's way beyond an adult arrangement; it's for real because that's one heart that you will be in more pain about breaking than you ever would be about doing so to Mom.

Not to mention that dumping an adult hurts, but a child who has attached to and broken ties with a series of "dad" people is damaged, sometimes beyond repair.

Tread lightly, and stay away from a woman's child until you are ready to commit to her semi strongly. It is not fair to do it any other way.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Not to mention that dumping an adult hurts, but a child who has attached to and broken ties with a series of "dad" people is damaged, sometimes beyond repair.

Tread lightly, and stay away from a woman's child until you are ready to commit to her semi strongly. It is not fair to do it any other way.

This is good advice considering nearly every girl I meet and talk to nowadays has a kid.

Unfortunately, I'm not a kid person. Wasn't a huge fan before EMS and after my recent-ish run of calls with peds I like them even less. They scare the bajeebers out of me.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Today and tonight are going to be tough. 1 year anniversary of two amazing friends' deaths. Both separate events if you can believe that.

I'm kinda hoping that it's busy at work tonight to keep my mind off it provided we don't run on an DUI MVA. It'll take everything I've got to keep from popping my top on the driver if we do.

RIP Mike and Whitney, I'll always remember you two and what you brought to this world.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
NVRob... anniversaries like that are never easy.

In other news, RIP Andy Griffith.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
+1............

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

Precisely. I'd be wary of dating any girl who wanted to introduce me to her kid early on anyway.

Aidey

I swear if one more FF grabs my bicep when I'm lifting I will drop kick his arse.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Stop being so strong, then! They're all impressed that you're probably stronger than they are :D

8jimi8

CFRN
Y'all help me get my resume down to 2 pages it's posted in employment

Aidey

It is so rude though! Jebus, I'm in the middle of the lift and you're suddenly going to grab my arm. Plus it is an invasion of my personal bubble, and I'm allergic to their latex gloves.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Hmm... Show them how strong you are with a nice right hook, maybe? :)

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
When one of my cousins was dating a woman with a little girl, he asked the little girl's permission before proposing to the mom. At first the kid said no, because she thought that if her mom got married again, her mom would go away like her dad did. He talked to her, told her he'd adopt her and be her dad, and eventually the girl gave her permission. During the wedding ceremony, after my cousin said his vows to the mom, he knelt down, gave a small ring to the girl and said vows to her. It was a very touching moment.

He adopted her formally, had two kids with the mom, and the family is doing very well. He really does treat the girl as his own.

Granted this is only one anecdote, but at least it shows it is possible to include the kid and still have it work out.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hmm. Got a voicemail from my colleges payroll department. Hopefully I don't have to give any money back...

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Get it on the floor. Get it, get it on the floor.

saskgirl

Forum Crew Member
AC not working in my office today = not happy, somewhat unproductive me.

On a brighter note only 17 days til my fishing vacation!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
ad0a0321-4ccd-783e.jpg

I got a bacon sundae. What have YOU got?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Envy... :ph34r: