Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
"Dang the trash can keeps falling over every time we make a turn"

"Yeah, that bungee cord doesn't work very well"

"You know there's probably a better way to keep the trash can up"

"Huh? We have the bungee."

"Yeah but the bungee doesn't work."

"Yeah but the bungee is cheap and easy to install."

"Yeah but it doesn't work."

Ladies and Germs. I give to you the "trash can keeper upper" prototype. Materials cost 74 cents and it takes under 2 minutes to install.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Very clever BBG

bigbaldguy

Very clever BBG

I'm very pleased with myself. I'm even more pleased with myself over figuring out how to get the thumbnails to show up.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
92% on my final. Woohoooo.
4.0 in medic school :)

bigbaldguy

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Just saw my schedule for the new shift cycle. Just turned the stress switch off. Since school started I've only been getting 10hrs a week at the ambulance job. Now I've got a minimum of 30hrs a week on top of one shift from my stand by job. Not bad.

jgaddis82

Forum Crew Member
So, I try not to eat in front of certain teammates. It makes me uncomfortable. Then my blabber mouth sidekick tells off that I ate 2 turkey sandwiches and half a dozen cookies.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, two ER calls today. Both receiving facilities *****ed my partner and I out about not diverting to a more appropriate facility.... ie, Doctors being lazy and not wanting to deal with what their being paid to do.

jgaddis82

Forum Crew Member
I never understood the whole "appropriate facility" thing. Except in burns or severe trauma or maybe in need of hyperbaric. Most doctors and facilities labeled E.R. OR E.D. should be equipped to handle the rest, at least to a point of stabilizing.

LifelongEMT

Forum Crew Member
Im An EMT in Tennesse only been licensed for 6 months But 5 years in the fire service. I work for private service. Anybody have any pointers for this business and how to truly succeed?

Anjel

Forum Angel
Im An EMT in Tennesse only been licensed for 6 months But 5 years in the fire service. I work for private service. Anybody have any pointers for this business and how to truly succeed?

Become a medic.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I never understood the whole "appropriate facility" thing. Except in burns or severe trauma or maybe in need of hyperbaric. Most doctors and facilities labeled E.R. OR E.D. should be equipped to handle the rest, at least to a point of stabilizing.

Burns....severe trauma....complicated delivery. Peds...especially peds. Every hospital isn't required to have a pediatrician on board. Some hospitals don't have cath lab capabilities. The pt could never be "stabilized without the proper resources. How is a hospital gonna stabilize a stroke pt if they aren't a stroke center?

LifelongEMT

Forum Crew Member
We just started a whole new thing that advanced Emt-IV No more i 89 or I 99 So Im trying to get into the Class ASAP it suppose to be 20 to 24 hours and introducing IOs Narcan and 12 leads.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief

strokes, AMIs? time is muscles or neurons.

In high quality care is stabilizing really what we are trying to achieve? Getting that STEMI to a cath lab which may be 20 more minutes away is most likely going to be better than stoping off at the community hospital which will load them with plavix and ASA send them on their way.

jgaddis82

Forum Crew Member
There are a couple of hospitals here that have the resources to handle stroke patients, but don't call themselves a stroke center. As for peds-ideally you would want a pediatrician, but I don't think that only pediatricians can handle pediatric emergencies.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
There are a couple of hospitals here that have the resources to handle stroke patients, but don't call themselves a stroke center. As for peds-ideally you would want a pediatrician, but I don't think that only pediatricians can handle pediatric emergencies.

But they'd certainly be better at it, wouldn't they?

Kids aren't just small adults.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

*cough* interventional cath lab *cough*

Adamjh3 your right, they aren't just little adults, they are little adults with big heads ;)

Just kidding

One of our hospitals who accepts strokes has a neurologist on call...in Seattle. Tele-medicine ftw

Last edited by a moderator:

jgaddis82

Forum Crew Member
Of course, thus the word, ideally. Thankfully we only have one or two community hospitals that would scare me to take my dog to. The rest are pretty well equipped and on top of their game. For how long? Who knows?