the 100% directionless thread

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Wait...what? How does that constitute the need to fly the kids? If I recall correctly Tyler has a trauma center (ETMC).

Level I and Level II trauma centers...but no pediatric service from Shreveport to Dallas. Both kids had bruising, tenderness, and were tachycardic (one more so than the other)one had a palpable mass in the LLQ. The closest pediatric service was Shreveport, 90+minutes away by ground from where we were at. We were probably close to an hour or so from Tyler as it was. I don't fly much (this was the first aircraft I've requested in about 12 moinths) but kids are one of the couple of cases where air transport is usually needed around here.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I ran over a chicken on my way to work.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
It's been pretty quiet in the chat the past week. Wondering what's up? :(

Sasha

Forum Chief
its keep away from aprz week

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Tonight is my first shift back since LA. Unfortunately, being a new APN on the floor has its drawbacks, one of them being that you end up on the bottom of the scheduling totem pole. As such, I am saddened to say that my trip to Sweden to see Roger Waters perform "The Wall Live" has been cancelled.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
It was an ES dementia patient. She literally was completely unaware of anything around her, just layed in bed rolling around and twitching and screaming. They wouldn't sedate her. I couldn't tell if she was just a screamer or in pain.

It was a tough thing to watch, but you can't run from it.

Gahhhhhhhh. You ruined it for me. I had no idea what happened at the end of 7 yet. :( :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
But we are talking about a student aren't we? For a student everything is new to them. A surgeon has had experience with surgery. You can't take someone off the street and make them a compident surgeon in 18 weeks. A paramedic has to do ride outs to get used to what they will be doing and they are with an experienced medic. When taking someone off the street with no medical experience and expect them to not react to things is asking way too much.

So once someone gets their cert, they are instantly able to deal with bad calls, even the gruesome ones?

what is the difference between an emt student in their ride time, and a brand new emt first day on the job?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Level I and Level II trauma centers...but no pediatric service from Shreveport to Dallas. Both kids had bruising, tenderness, and were tachycardic (one more so than the other)one had a palpable mass in the LLQ. The closest pediatric service was Shreveport, 90+minutes away by ground from where we were at. We were probably close to an hour or so from Tyler as it was. I don't fly much (this was the first aircraft I've requested in about 12 moinths) but kids are one of the couple of cases where air transport is usually needed around here.

Ah....I've never had a problem with taking pediatric cases to a "regular" trauma center. They have all the skill and gear to diagnose the patients and then they can ship them out in the unlikely event that the need to do so arises.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Ah....I've never had a problem with taking pediatric cases to a "regular" trauma center. They have all the skill and gear to diagnose the patients and then they can ship them out in the unlikely event that the need to do so arises.

Got ya, and in the DC area it was the same. Both of them around here have made it quite clear they really want them to go somewhere else.

When your "Level I and II tertiary facilities" are shipping out relatively simple ortho stuff because the docs won't do the procedures, I've pretty much decided bypass is the best option. I just hope my kids never get seriously ill/injured.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Flying up country tomorrow to say goodbye to my brother, he has developed pneumonia now and in not expected to last the month.
It will be nice to give him a cuddle and tell him what a wonderful big brother he has been!

pullnshoot25

Forum Crew Member
Flying up country tomorrow to say goodbye to my brother, he has developed pneumonia now and in not expected to last the month.
It will be nice to give him a cuddle and tell him what a wonderful big brother he has been!

Sorry to hear about that :(

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
At the dentist. :-( Yaaaaaaaaaae me.........not.

Try undergoing 13 dental surgeries over a period of one year. If you aren't crying during the recovery time, you will be crying when you get the bill!

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Btw they never elaborate on what the heck the weird burned baby is.

just something that can't be helped, screaming under a seat.

Totally random.

It's Voldemort! Supposedly, that's what he's reduced to because of what he did to his soul with the horcruxes.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
So, umm, yeah.... Thinking about going back to college to get a degree in Emergency Management. Completion of Fire Sciences or Criminal Justice is a prerequisite... only about $4,300. Not bad I guess.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So once someone gets their cert, they are instantly able to deal with bad calls, even the gruesome ones?

what is the difference between an emt student in their ride time, and a brand new emt first day on the job?

Where did I say that? Lol. It's all about experience. A EMT student has very little experience and is brand new to seeing the call. Where as a medic or surgeon has had experience. I have seen medics freeze in the field. They are not student they are certified medics. It takes time to adjust to what you see and what you can see.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Where did I say that? Lol. It's all about experience. A EMT student has very little experience and is brand new to seeing the call. Where as a medic or surgeon has had experience. I have seen medics freeze in the field. They are not student they are certified medics. It takes time to adjust to what you see and what you can see.

Any licensed EMT/paramedic that freezes in the field shouldn't be allowed to be on an ambulance, unless they're 3rd riding. If I needed help, what good would a provider that freezes do me? None...