the 100% directionless thread

Anjel

Forum Angel
HAD AN AMAZING FIRST DAY AT WORK! lol

And P.S. Why is Rob's name green?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Just failed my student on her ride time.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Just failed my student on her ride time.

EMS students can fail ride time?

How?

That has to be the first time I ever heard that.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Give her unacceptable ratings in her review book.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Anjel

Forum Angel

Sasha

Forum Chief
She refused to sit in back with a patient who can best be described best as the burnt baby in HP7 at kings ctoss station with dumbledore. Writhing and screaming. I know its tough but its part of the job.

Asimurk

Forum Captain
She refused to sit in back with a patient who can best be described best as the burnt baby in HP7 at kings ctoss station with dumbledore. Writhing and screaming. I know its tough but its part of the job.

Sounds like something that could scar a person for a long time. But I understand the demerit.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

ruthless

Sasha

Forum Chief
No. I dont get the option of turning down calls that upset me. You want to be an emt, be an emt. You dont get to choose your patients.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
No. I dont get the option of turning down calls that upset me. You want to be an emt, be an emt. You dont get to choose your patients.

I volunteer for the harder duties nobody seems to want, I figure some people are better able to cope with delivering bad news to people.

Sasha

Forum Chief
What news? You honestly think im being too hard? She basically refused a call. What would she have done if i hadnt of been here?

Anjel

Forum Angel
What news? You honestly think im being too hard? She basically refused a call. What would she have done if i hadnt of been here?

Was she a basic student?

I wouldn't of necessarily failed her. But I would of wrote to her instructor what she did and your concerns.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

You know, the "you have cancer," or "HIV," or "we don't expect him to wake up would you like to pull the plug or should we?"

I don't think you are being too hard, but i try to encourage the students. Had it been a fully licensed and paid person, I'd say "give her the chair!"

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus

Considering her first call was a gut-wrencher -- no matter how she reacted and how you graded her -- I would hope you took at least a few moments afterward to ask her what it was like for her and to help her get through the initial shock.

If she left the experience traumatized, my hope is you didn't add to it. You could find in her someone who needs help getting out of the biz, or someone who, with a little encouragement might be able to work herself in.

She's still an unknown, unless that one experience is all you think you need to know about her.

Just curious what you do when you take your Preceptor hat off.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Brown needs to take Browns Cat in the Hat hat off ... it scares patients

Here's an alternative for Mr. Brown...

12+stereotypes+panel+06.jpg

YCALR

Forum Crew Member

I don't have much experience as an EMT but from the experience I have, I know that this is what i want to do. Not everyone is naturally prepared to handle traumatic situations but it doesn't necessarily mean they aren't fit for the job. As firetender has a good point, "someone who, with a little encouragement might be able to work herself in."

Perhaps she did not feel prepared to handle a call of that nature, and she did more good to fall back. I would have liked to receive some encouragement if I ever responded to a trauma during a ride along. Just my opinion.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If I had a partner refuse to help on a call, I'd be sending an angry letter to my supervisor and to my medical director.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If I had a partner refuse to help on a call, I'd be sending an angry letter to my supervisor and to my medical director.

1. I don't consider an EMT student a partner.

2. Students are allowed to be squimish. I'd rather have, say, a medical student in the OR step out if they start feeling woosie than do a face plant into the patient's open abdomen.

2.5. Similarly, I'd rather have an EMT student step back or ride front if they seriously can't handle it. Better them up there than, say, vomiting in the back.

3. If my partner was so distracted by the nature of a call (either unable to handle it due to a first experience or bad memories from a past experience) that they could be a danger, I'd rather have them do the responsible thing and step back then try to soldier on and run a higher risk of making a mistake.

4. I think there's a difference between something like this happening once and a pattern of such behavior developing.