the 100% directionless thread

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Industrial-organizational psychologists tend to deliberately skew tests for employment in a high-stress medical field towards minimizing false positives (where you accept someone who won't be a good fit), but that comes at the expense of getting a lot of false negatives. You're likely to be one of those, since it seems like you've been doing fine in EMS so far. It sucks, but don't worry that you're crazy. Besides, poor fit doesn't mean anything about craziness anyways... just that your responses didn't match up with those of most EMS workers they tested these items on.

It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't tests.

I mean, I never "Strongly Agree" or "Strongly Disagree" on most things, yet me answering near the middle probably made the test think I was trying to work my way around it by answering what they wanted to hear.

What sucks is MedStar, the 911 I applied to, had a very similar test, and I answered it pretty much the same... I will be po'd beyond all reason if I get denied from that position because of the same damn test too.

I want to do 911, but I don't want to move to do 911. Gah.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I now have one scheduled with an IFT company on Thurs. IFT is really not what I want to do as a medic, but fresh out of school, take what you can get, right? They said if hired, I'd start as an EMT until the state updates my license from EMT to Paramedic.

19342_311096051261_311058351261_4018171_1914779_n.jpg

I love it!

Well, DNR is hiring 2 people out of well over 60 applicants......so probably not. And they are not hiring strait up firefighters. Just forestry techs who are on fire standby. Blah.......

EmmaSlim09

Forum Lieutenant
Watch for blister beetles in that hay!

I don't feed alfalfa so not much of a concern for the blister beetles. :) I'm pretty possitive the reason he started to colic was cause someone fed him a buttload of the nasty hay that was brought in. Which I promptly pulled out of his stall and trashed it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
And we have snow on the ground again...

Sasha

Forum Chief
Hello lovelies.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

medic417

The Truth Provider

medic417

The Truth Provider

8jimi8

CFRN
T - minus 20 minutes. Incoming to Canyon lands Utah. Epic climbing trip in the making!

me and the dogs are 12 hours out from a rendezvous with my buddy and then 6 more to Utah.

excellent!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
T - minus 20 minutes. Incoming to Canyon lands Utah. Epic climbing trip in the making!

me and the dogs are 12 hours out from a rendezvous with my buddy and then 6 more to Utah.

excellent!

Thanks for inviting me jerk!

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't tests.

In layman's terms, yep.

I mean, I never "Strongly Agree" or "Strongly Disagree" on most things, yet me answering near the middle probably made the test think I was trying to work my way around it by answering what they wanted to hear.

Depends on the test. A lot (I want to say most, but don't know for sure) don't even bother creating a lie scale. I'd more imagine that most of the sample EMS people they used to create the test answered questions strongly. Don't take my word for it, though... it seriously could be anything.

Never think too much about answers on those things. They're typically not designed well for that.

lightsandsirens5 said:
Well, DNR is hiring 2 people out of well over 60 applicants......so probably not. And they are not hiring strait up firefighters. Just forestry techs who are on fire standby. Blah.......

I wanna work for a place called DNR.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ugh... Gotta call two services tomorrow to check on my application status for one and to make sure the other actually got my application in the mail.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Ugh... Gotta call two services tomorrow to check on my application status for one and to make sure the other actually got my application in the mail.

I called the lady in charge of hiring at MedStar yesterday and left a message, and I applied last week... still haven't heard anything back.

mct601

RN/NRP
I called the lady in charge of hiring at MedStar yesterday and left a message, and I applied last week... still haven't heard anything back.

Sucks man, I've been really frustrated not being able to find a job as a basic. If I took the time to be a medic and couldn't find employment, I'd be fuming. My problem is everyone wants full-timers, not part time/PRN. I'm reapplying this week since it will make one month since I applied at all the major places. Good luck on your continued search.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Sucks man, I've been really frustrated not being able to find a job as a basic. If I took the time to be a medic and couldn't find employment, I'd be fuming. My problem is everyone wants full-timers, not part time/PRN. I'm reapplying this week since it will make one month since I applied at all the major places. Good luck on your continued search.

I'm fine working full time, it's just most of the places that are trying to snatch medics up are IFTs while I want to work 911... just like every other new medic that is also applying for these jobs.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I wanna work for a place called DNR.

I know, right? I tell everyone at the ambulance service I applied with DNR and they look at me kind of sideways.

It really means Department of Natural Resources. Not so exciting as Do Not Resuscitate..................