the 100% directionless thread

SnaKiZe

Forum Crew Member
Saw a case of Serotonin Syndrome last night, that was pretty interesting.

Whassthat?
I remember touching base on it in class but that's about it...
Is it when someone's antidepressants are off/too much? cuz most are SSRIs..?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Whassthat?
I remember touching base on it in class but that's about it...
Is it when someone's antidepressants are off/too much? cuz most are SSRIs..?

From what I understand, and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong; but it's basically an overdose of serotonin in the brain. I guess it occurs when someone is on two or more medications that affect serotonin levels and it causes a release of too much serotonin in the brain. The doc was telling me that he's only seen one other case in 20+ years and the common combination used to be SSRI's combined with Demerol.

It was unusual, the patient was really diaphoretic, their mental status would change from lethargic to agitated and back again, they had really bad tremors and they were hypotensive, at least from what I remember.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I think our dispatcher today is drunk. None of the crews can understand what she is saying because she is slurring her words really bad :unsure:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
From what I understand, and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong; but it's basically an overdose of serotonin in the brain. I guess it occurs when someone is on two or more medications that affect serotonin levels and it causes a release of too much serotonin in the brain. The doc was telling me that he's only seen one other case in 20+ years and the common combination used to be SSRI's combined with Demerol.

It was unusual, the patient was really diaphoretic, their mental status would change from lethargic to agitated and back again, they had really bad tremors and they were hypotensive, at least from what I remember.

Usually not too much serotonin being released, usually there's just to much available in the synapse due to reuptake being impaired/inhibited (minor difference, but worth knowing about). Mental status effects are what you described, with hyperthermia, tachypnea, tachycardia and generally HYPERtension. Myoclonus is another hallmark symptom. Watch for high output shock (inability to meet metabolic demands). EMS treatment consist of airway control PRN, benzos and fluid as needed. The hospital has serotonin antagonist, but I'm not familiar enough to speak about those.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Usually not too much serotonin being released, usually there's just to much available in the synapse due to reuptake being impaired/inhibited (minor difference, but worth knowing about). Mental status effects are what you described, with hyperthermia, tachypnea, tachycardia and generally HYPERtension. Myoclonus is another hallmark symptom. Watch for high output shock (inability to meet metabolic demands). EMS treatment consist of airway control PRN, benzos and fluid as needed. The hospital has serotonin antagonist, but I'm not familiar enough to speak about those.

Interesting. Thanks for the elucidation!

crazycajun

Forum Captain
I think our dispatcher today is drunk. None of the crews can understand what she is saying because she is slurring her words really bad :unsure:

My sister in law was the dispatcher for the sheriff's office and had the same problem. Turned out to be a brain tumor. Some one may want to check on your dispatcher.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
My sister in law was the dispatcher for the sheriff's office and had the same problem. Turned out to be a brain tumor. Some one may want to check on your dispatcher.

They haven't been cleared by dispatch to check on the dispatcher though. :wacko:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
doesn't matter. with or without jelly and that amount of voltage, the pt is bound to get vicious hair singeing? (or is it singing?)

You must have never used a set of paddles?

Or did y'all yes the little goofy slimy pad thingys?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

Cool, thanks for the correction, I appreciate it! :)

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief

Not a bad idea at all... we talk to the folks at our contracted tow company several times a day. One day one of them sounded funny and sort of drunk. They sent them over there to check on him and he turned out to be having a stroke.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Two days in a row and I haven't bumped into anyone in chat. What's wrong with you people?!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
aefcf2c4-1335-f225.jpg

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
What can cause sudden hair loss starting at a random spot on the head which then slowly spreads outward?

If my doctor tells me it's "just because" I'm going to be pissed. My grandpa's 83 years old and he's still got a full head of hair.

Tommerag

What day is it?
Two days in a row and I haven't bumped into anyone in chat. What's wrong with you people?!

You have yet to bring me chicken thats why!!!!!

Edit: Ohhhhhhhh this was post 300 I'm such a big boy lulz

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Citizens, thanks for making sure my partner and I are still alive but please let us get a little sleep we have been getting hammered with calls.

We had 3 people at different times come up to the window and make sure we are alive lol

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
What can cause sudden hair loss starting at a random spot on the head which then slowly spreads outward?

If my doctor tells me it's "just because" I'm going to be pissed. My grandpa's 83 years old and he's still got a full head of hair.

Must of skipped generation man. Welcome to the club, I started losing mine at 12. Embrace it, don't fight shave it.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Islip long island on a wed night. Wow! I'm so bored I can hear the paint on the wals fading.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Citizens, thanks for making sure my partner and I are still alive but please let us get a little sleep we have been getting hammered with calls.

We had 3 people at different times come up to the window and make sure we are alive lol

Dark sunglasses, open book on the lap :ph34r:

Must of skipped generation man. Welcome to the club, I started losing mine at 12. Embrace it, don't fight shave it.

I'm toying around with it being radiation, I've been sitting in a quite a few g-tube placements lately without a sweet lead vest on. :wacko:

Since I've got you here, what do you use to keep your head shaved and shiny? Y'know, just in case I am just going bald...