the 100% directionless thread

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Well I’m having an interesting start to the day. First transport is a deceased person going to the morgue. They don’t have any trucks to send out so we’re transporting. The deceased was a ward of the state and even though no one has to sit in the back with them, I’m still going to because it just doesn’t seem right leaving them back there by themselves if that makes any sense.

edit: never mind, AC doesn’t work in the back, I’m sitting up front.

Last edited:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Well I’m having an interesting start to the day. First transport is a deceased person going to the morgue. They don’t have any trucks to send out so we’re transporting. The deceased was a ward of the state and even though no one has to sit in the back with them, I’m still going to because it just doesn’t seem right leaving them back there by themselves if that makes any sense.
What do you think the coroner and funeral home staff do?

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Read my edit.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Thanks. The lack of working AC is no bueno. I just didn’t want to show up to the rest of the calls smelling like sweat.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Waking up to news reports that a 737 crashed off Oahu last night 😳😳😳

Turns out yes a 737-200 (not one of the MAX planes) cargo plane developed engine trouble and was trying to return to the airport when it went down.

Only 2 crewmembers onboard, both successfully rescued, one by Coast Guard helicopter flown straight to the hospital, the other by FD rescue boat, transferred to ground ambulance.

So whew. But still... the news has just been full of WTF?! lately...

I watched a couple reports about that crash. From what I gather, it sounds like the jet lost an engine and lost the other one pretty quickly as it was losing thrust. The airplane never was able to maintain an altitude or airspeed on the remaining engine. That engine was probably running too hot and when that happens, turbines start eating themselves and once that happens, airflow through the engine slows, temps rise, and thrust drops. I suspect had they chosen to stay closer to the field (keep it in sight) they probably could have completed their checklists and probably would have been able to land with that failing engine still producing thrust.

The best call of the night was getting the USCG alerted as early as they did. One of the pilots was actively trying not to drown. The swimmer rescued him and got him hoisted up. The other pilot was floating on some cargo debris and was dragged by the swimmer to a rescue boat. Getting the boat crew going before the crash also was a good call.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, they're talking about how rare it is to lose both engines like that.

And how incredible it was to ditch such a large heavy airplane into the ocean at night, and have both crew rescued, ditching like that is essentially the nightmare scenario, rarely ends anything remotely "well".

But if you gotta ditch, doing so 3 miles away from the USCG air station with HH65 and HC130 right there (plus the Cutters a few more miles away towards town) is pretty much the best place you can do so.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Why is a sternum rub considered assault?

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Why is a sternum rub considered assault?
Need more context.

Is performing a sternal rub on an unconscious person to determine AVPU assault? No.

Is performing a sternal rub on an awake person 5 times while laughing maniacally assault? Yes.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
I was told that even if you use it on an unconscious person, even to determine AVPU, it may be considered assault.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
I just don’t see how doing it for legitimate reasons would be considered assault.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Hence my question.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I was told that even if you use it on an unconscious person, even to determine AVPU, it may be considered assault.
It’s not. There is no intent to commit a battery. Utter BS.

Yes. Trap squeeze is what we teach now too.