the 100% directionless thread

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Strange. I miss being able to see and immediately talk to students. But, I’ll get used to it.

the technology though. That’s pretty amazing. Streaming with OBS, multiple cameras, virtual whiteboard with my iPad, able to insert video and animation. It’s absolutely crazy.

Yeah. But hopefully we're in the home stretch of things and this isn't long term.

OBS?

I bet it's pretty fun to interact with drawings and stuff. How old are your students?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
OBS is broadcast software that lets you aggregate multi cameras, video and graphics into a stream... so I’m not teaching with a webcam, I’m basically making an interactive TV show.

I have 15 students in this class, and they range in age from 18 to 64. Finding ways to keep them all engaged is a challenge.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
OBS is broadcast software that lets you aggregate multi cameras, video and graphics into a stream... so I’m not teaching with a webcam, I’m basically making an interactive TV show.

I have 15 students in this class, and they range in age from 18 to 64. Finding ways to keep them all engaged is a challenge.

Well, I guess check with other teachers and see what works for them?

Edit, not sure how those replies got mixed up.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
October 12 2020 was my last PCR. Haven’t written one yet. Last week, first shift at the new job was all BLS. That’ll probably end this weekend.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Meanwhile I got to (purposefully) smash a car (well Tacoma) pickup truck window today.

Kid inadvertently locked in the car, we spent a few minutes unsuccessfully trying to use our less invasive "Big Easy" tool (a somewhat flexible rod that with a wedge and air bladder to open a gap between door and frame, supposed to be able to reach in and grab the handle/lock and open the door without breaking anything. Successfully used that tool several times in the past, today the door just wasn't opening, so Capt made the call, and I happened to have my window breaker tool on me, so I got to break the back window)

Kid was fine fortunately, but definitely locked in a hot car is a no go.
But yeah, sounded more like an accident, Mom was loading with two kids, had one with her, must've accidentally brushed the lock button because the door inadvertently closed, and wouldn't open back up she said.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Meanwhile I got to (purposefully) smash a car (well Tacoma) pickup truck window today.

Kid inadvertently locked in the car, we spent a few minutes unsuccessfully trying to use our less invasive "Big Easy" tool (a somewhat flexible rod that with a wedge and air bladder to open a gap between door and frame, supposed to be able to reach in and grab the handle/lock and open the door without breaking anything. Successfully used that tool several times in the past, today the door just wasn't opening, so Capt made the call, and I happened to have my window breaker tool on me, so I got to break the back window)

Kid was fine fortunately, but definitely locked in a hot car is a no go.
But yeah, sounded more like an accident, Mom was loading with two kids, had one with her, must've accidentally brushed the lock button because the door inadvertently closed, and wouldn't open back up she said.

I've always wanted to bust a window.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Have to get the windshield of the car replaced. $165. I’ll just drive around with it cracked until I can pay for a new one. I can still see so I should be fine.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Have to get the windshield of the car replaced. $165. I’ll just drive around with it cracked until I can pay for a new one. I can still see so I should be fine.

Ut oh. That's illegal in NJ. New Jersey's finest are on their way to you.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
not this convo again

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
We just moved to Tier 3 (out of 4 tiers, 1 is most restrictive, 4 least) for COVID lockdown restrictions here.

We can now have gatherings of up to 10 people, restaurants can operate max capacity (as long as tables between parties are distanced), retailers no longer have capacity limits, gyms can go to 50% capacity.

Oh and word is our Departments "COVID bubble", where we were only being allowed to work our own stations (so almost no overtime available, etc) are also coming to an end and going back to normal staffing patterns

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Today's story from EMT class, we learned about rebreathing with a brown paper bag

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Please tell me they said not to

He didn't specifically say to do it in the field, they were just talking about how it works with no mention of maybe not doing it