the 100% directionless thread

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So you CAN'T ski all year long?! Even in CO? When is ski season?

I'm okay with going elsewhere. I just have no idea. About any of this.
Surely you were aware that skiing is a winter sport and thus happens in the winter? You are also aware that it does not snow in the summer of a state that would border Texas if it were not for a 50 mile wide stretch of Oklahoma?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Last day at the the three letter IFT operations.
Surely you were aware that skiing is a winter sport and thus happens in the winter? You are also aware that it does not snow in the summer of a state that would border Texas if it were not for a 50 mile wide stretch of Oklahoma?

Ummm. I mean I thought with a high enough mountain you could surely ski whenever.

Umm it definitely doesn't border Texas, Colorado doesn't.

Edit: I see the caveat.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
I haven’t. My PCP offered to refer me, but then told me it’s usually just a matter of time, NSAIDs, and stretching. And while it’s gotten a lot better... I’m still not back to my normal.

I highly recommend going if you have the option. I've pulled my back four times. After the latest time I went to physical therapy and got a lot out of it, despite being too fatigued to complete the exercises regularly.

Seirende

The physical therapist gave me a set of exercises that I can use to speed recovery if I were to pull my back again along with a set of strengthening exercises and some education. For me going was about preventing another injury.

Last edited:

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
My ankle still isn't at 100%. But it's pretty close. Jogging/running no longer hurts, but I can still feel it pulling and stretching. PT says as long as I don't overdo it or if it doesn't feel hurt it's okay

Seirende

So this is partly what my year has looked like so far. Inpatient end of March. Inpatient early June. Two crisis contacts with law enforcement mid-June, second one led to inpatient. Crisis contact with law enforcement early July. This despite medication, psychotherapy, and strong social and familial support. At least so far no SA or emergency detention.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I feel like I'm getting all that I wanted but... it's not quite it?

Last Februaryish I started EMS school. With all my stress and life stuff I worked hard to finished. I nailed the registry.

I got a job and I'm my mind I had it planned that if I didn't get 911 right off the bat I'd crank out my time in IFT and do the best I can and learn all I can.

I also said if I didn't start medic school in 6-12 months I'd have a definite plan to do so before 2021.

I'm starting a 911 job and medic school. Have my own place. I'm pretty happy but I guess my caveats are family issues and losing the best partner ever.

Confession. I've been dating my permanent partner for 2.5 weeks. But it's like we'd been unofficially dating for longer. I lost my permanent partner and since April I'd been picking up on his truck off and on and as time progressed we'd be pick up on each other's trucks because neither of us had a permanent partner. TMI but we're both celibate so nothing funky is going on in that department.

I know you shouldn't date your partner or at your work but I guess it works out because now we're neither on the same truck nor same company.

But we work so well together. I can trust him, we have these games where we try and spill water on each other when the other is drinking. We yell NO at each other when the other yawns.

He's not too macho to not double lift when the pt is past his limit. He's kind and respectful. We joke around a lot. He's definitely a pt advocate.

We even have good walking speeds with each other. Like we just get along in almost every way.

He got the job too but had to turn it down due to school not working with the company and vice versa.

With AMR it feels like I'm leaving all I know in EMS and my friends. Bosses. Coworkers. What I'm good at. I'd been getting cold feet but everyone's pushing to me to go and make the most out of it.

Never been written up. Never been on camera (set off the vehicle camera due to hard brakes, turns, speed), Never had a report kicked back.

And now it feels like I'm going alone and losing it all. What if our schedules don't work well and we never see each other? What if the new job is a house of horror?

But I guess what if it does work and it's not? What if the job is what I need to become a great 911 medic?

It's just so... unknown. And I'm a little apprehensive. I start tomorrow...

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief

Last Februaryish I started EMS school. With all my stress and life stuff I worked hard to finished. I nailed the registry.

I got a job and I'm my mind I had it planned that if I didn't get 911 right off the bat I'd crank out my time in IFT and do the best I can and learn all I can.

I also said if I didn't start medic school in 6-12 months I'd have a definite plan to do so before 2021.

I'm starting a 911 job and medic school. Have my own place. I'm pretty happy but I guess my caveats are family issues and losing the best partner ever.

Confession. I've been dating my permanent partner for 2.5 weeks. But it's like we'd been unofficially dating for longer. I lost my permanent partner and since April I'd been picking up on his truck off and on and as time progressed we'd be pick up on each other's trucks because neither of us had a permanent partner. TMI but we're both celibate so nothing funky is going on in that department.

I know you shouldn't date your partner or at your work but I guess it works out because now we're neither on the same truck nor same company.

But we work so well together. I can trust him, we have these games where we try and spill water on each other when the other is drinking. We yell NO at each other when the other yawns.

He's not too macho to not double lift when the pt is past his limit. He's kind and respectful. We joke around a lot. He's definitely a pt advocate.

We even have good walking speeds with each other. Like we just get along in almost every way.

He got the job too but had to turn it down due to school not working with the company and vice versa.

With AMR it feels like I'm leaving all I know in EMS and my friends. Bosses. Coworkers. What I'm good at. I'd been getting cold feet but everyone's pushing to me to go and make the most out of it.

Never been written up. Never been on camera (set off the vehicle camera due to hard brakes, turns, speed), Never had a report kicked back.

And now it feels like I'm going alone and losing it all. What if our schedules don't work well and we never see each other? What if the new job is a house of horror?

But I guess what if it does work and it's not? What if the job is what I need to become a great 911 medic?

Welcome to the next stage in life. Change is uncertain but do your best to work with it and if things are meant to be then it works out. Good luck.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I need to move onto some place new. I love my job, but this place is burning me the **** out. I'm not enough of a yes man to get repeatedly *****ed at and get vague threats implying corrective action for trying to take a few minutes to eat and just roll with it. Not with our call volume. If all goes well, next summer I'll have my ducks in a row and my 2 week notice submitted.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I need to move onto some place new. I love my job, but this place is burning me the **** out. I'm not enough of a yes man to get repeatedly *****ed at and get vague threats implying corrective action for trying to take a few minutes to eat and just roll with it. Not with our call volume. If all goes well, next summer I'll have my ducks in a row and my 2 week notice submitted.

Good luck, ducks. 🦆🦆🦆

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
(A few nights ago)

Last shift with partner. Go downtown and go to a cupcake ATM and sit on a bench talking.

That moment when you (and your bf) see a drunk dude try to fight (and miserably fail) to get possession of his keys and then the restaurant staff leaves. He got yeeted. He refused an under profusely. He gets into the driver's seat without keys. Staff throw his keys on the ground out of the car window and leave. You go check on him and he's trying to call someone. He hands you the phone. They're not coming to get him but beg you not to let him have the keys and he gets crazy, goes out to have fun but gets plasteted instead.

You drive him home in his truck and make sure he's belted in and everything. There's an open beer in the cup holder. We dump it. He can't tell you the name of his apartment but knows the address but then can't get in through the gates. He is attempting to hop the gate but home boy can barely walk and almost eats pavement over every curb, step and getting into and out of the vehicle.

He wants to go home with you (we live seperately)and your bf and drink with y'all. (I don't drink at all, bf is stopping period. We weren't drinking.)

You park his truck about a block away or less. Within 1-2 minutes at a casual walk and walk him to his back door. His 16 year old brother answers, we explain his brother is hammered and got very lucky he didn't go to jail. Give the brother the keys and he promises to keep them from him and agrees they won't go anywhere.

Good deed accomplished. We're walking back and happen to pass by the truck. Beep beep. It's unlocking.

Oh no.

Both of them appear making a beeline for the truck. We call out to them, they turn and run. We tell them we're going to call the police if they don't talk to us.

The kids was going to stop, 23 year old drunk dude gets him to turn and briskly walk away.

We make the police report. Cops said they'd make contact with him.

I dunno. Maybe we should have went straight to cops. When we were driving him home he was apologetic and saying he knew he shouldn't have driven and stuff. He said he was going to just go to bed when we got home.

I know it's not a crime to be drunk in your home. I dunno. Maybe I shouldn't have called the cops then because it's a waste? Or maybe they made him realize he can't touch that truck and it's all ending as well as it can be for him (amazing he's home and safe and had his truck and isn't in jail)

Or maybe they arrested him and now he's angry at us.

I dunno. But I'm glad he didn't find the keys and drive home. I can't see that crap and do nothing. We did the best we could.

Hindsight? Take him home in my vehicle and leave his truck with keys somewhere in it. Tell him when we get there. No way he's going to walk the 10 minute ride by vehicle to go get it, right? Had to pass the highway to get there. He wouldn't make it.

Or call the cops when he's sitting plastered in the driver's seat. Let them sort him out.

I dunno...

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

Your dating scenario is almost exactly how I ended up with my oldest child (now together for 8 years, married 5, and 2 kids).

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Your dating scenario is almost exactly how I ended up with my oldest child (now together for 8 years, married 5, and 2 kids).

Doesn't sound bad to me. Haha. I'm looking for marriage, never thought a fling or casual dating was a productive or physically and emotionally successful ingredients to a relationship.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Been around long enough to know the only thing you really regret in life is the chances you didn't take.