the 100% directionless thread

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Random thought of the day. I've been perusing Drodge most of the morning and there are some potentially scary headlines, yes some are just click bait, but the different news sources keep beating the N. Korea drum, including the speculation that the Nork's two satellites might be capable of setting of an EMP over the US. Apparently they are updating their submarine launched missiles also.

Most EMS/FDs have new, or relatively new, equipment/trucks. If there is something like an EMP burst which allegedly will wipe out most of the electronics in the trucks rending them unusable...do you have any standby plans on how your agency will respond at a time like that when we would probably be needed most?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Random thought of the day. I've been perusing Drodge most of the morning and there are some potentially scary headlines, yes some are just click bait, but the different news sources keep beating the N. Korea drum, including the speculation that the Nork's two satellites might be capable of setting of an EMP over the US. Apparently they are updating their submarine launched missiles also.

Most EMS/FDs have new, or relatively new, equipment/trucks. If there is something like an EMP burst which allegedly will wipe out most of the electronics in the trucks rending them unusable...do you have any standby plans on how your agency will respond at a time like that when we would probably be needed most?

By foot.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

ruck it. Fireman carry. Pray it doesn't happen. Be like the rest of the country and be SOL... My signature says the rest :D

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Just doesn't stack up to a good scenario and I don't live anywhere near a potential target. Dispatch will be out too, so how are we even gonna know where to go? Or let's pretend that there is communication, but no transportation, that translates into triage via radio or smoke signals or whatever.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
...the speculation that the Nork's two satellites might be capable of setting of an EMP over the US
I'm not too worried about those satellites. The Norks haven't figured out how to make small, relatively light-weight warheads. Not yet. They are just figuring out how to make their warheads work. They've had a few low-power, low efficiency detonations (including a really low power fizzle). Once they're good enough to reliably detonate nukes that don't fizzle, then that'll be a problem. The worst thing, EMP-wise, would be if they can detonate a nuke above Kansas at about 250 miles up. From what I understand, most of the very populated areas of CONUS would suffer damage in that scenario. All they have to do is actually be able to get their ICBMs (in particular SLBMs) capable of actually surviving launch.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

The moment that happens Im not going to be worried about what theyre doing at work. Ill be heading home to protect family and property. Slap my spare distributor into the old square body and drive there :)

There are varying theories on effects on vehicles after an EMP burst. If they arent running they may be unaffected. If they are running they may be able to be restarted. Nobody knows because, well it hasnt happened.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If your car can survive (aka keep running) after being struck by or being in very close proximity to a lightning strike, you'll probably be OK, though that just means your car would survive the E2 pulse. It's the E1 pulse that apparently causes much of the damage. Interestingly enough during some testing, a PRC-77 radio (all solid state) survived an EMP burst while a PRC-25 radio (has a vacuum tube in the final amp) couldn't be certified to work properly, though I suspect that it did work to some extent. If that's the case, I would imagine that my Ham Radios would likely survive if they're disconnected from their antennas and power leads.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Just doesn't stack up to a good scenario and I don't live anywhere near a potential target. Dispatch will be out too, so how are we even gonna know where to go? Or let's pretend that there is communication, but no transportation, that translates into triage via radio or smoke signals or whatever.
hope you know how to ruck/walk :D, and carry a gun. worst in worst, you can manually say "fk all this electric jazz" and get your car going basic, engine make spinny, make tires go. There was a show called the colony a bunch of years back on discovery.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
hope you know how to ruck/walk :D, and carry a gun. worst in worst, you can manually say "fk all this electric jazz" and get your M35A2 deuce and a half, multi-fuel merican engine make spinny, make tires go. There was a show called the colony a bunch of years back on discovery.

Fixed it for you.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
EMP is shenanigans.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
EMP is shenanigans.
c3772fcf4777b255e4429b8c9fec0279_yolo-pistol-whip-memes-quickmeme-pistol-whip-meme_512-342.jpeg

Yeah, I know what you're going to say....

giphy.gif

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Bombs going off tonight. No sleepy.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Asked a question about how ideas get proposed to the committee that brings new ideas/suggestions to the table and one of the head dudes told me to write something up for Ketamine since that's what I referenced. Sounds like I have some homework to do.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Asked a question about how ideas get proposed to the committee that brings new ideas/suggestions to the table and one of the head dudes told me to write something up for Ketamine since that's what I referenced. Sounds like I have some homework to do.
Lucky son of a!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Currently making chicken caprese lasagna...will report on the results.

What I will say. Homemade lasagna of any type involves a love of freaking work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk