the 100% directionless thread

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Listening to Santana, drinking Red Stripes, enjoying my day off. Life is good, that is all.
all i think of whenever i hear Santana is that song they did with the nickelback dude that just groans wherever he goes. I know Santana has other songs**

VentMonkey

Family Guy
all i think of whenever i hear Santana is that song they did with the nickelback dude that just groans wherever he goes. I know Santana has other songs**
IMG_0322.GIF

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
The upcoming class (89)? Or the spring class (90)?
Spring. I don't wan to try and take the entrance test without a good college level A&P

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Well the local HEMS company just opened up for a full time position. Even though I don't have the 3 years paramedic experience they want the base manager told me to go ahead and apply.

So now the wait begins..

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Don't take this the wrong way, but that sets off a few warning bells.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Generally asking people to apply before they meet minimumrequirements shows that there might be a lacking of local candidates or higher turn over. Similar to ground agencies offering bonuses.
Granted, I could be way off base, but that's been my general observations.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Or they're just plain desperate. There are a few places up here in the north east that are just simply flat out desperate. Northern NYS, and Rhode Island come to mind.

However generally i agree fully transport!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Generally asking people to apply before they meet minimumrequirements shows that there might be a lacking of local candidates or higher turn over. Similar to ground agencies offering bonuses.
Granted, I could be way off base, but that's been my general observations.

Ahhh. I asked the manager if I should even try to apply due to the 3 year mark and they responded along the lines of "it's not gonna hurt". This base doesn't seem to have a lot of turn over. In my area everyone is hurting for medics (fire and EMS).

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@DesertMedic66 if it's the base I am seeing on their corporate website, the turnover is relatively high (at least an annual/ bi-annual opening). My dream base with this respective service would be number 4.

Pick ups to, and from Catalina, and water-ditching drills. Uh, yes and yes. That's just my crazy self though.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Holy hell. Today is five years as a nationally registered medic. Had it really been that long?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Really? Lol, I thought you'd been a medic at least 7-8 years. Me? This will be my tenth:(.
Ten years as a whole in EMS. Five as a medic. Two and a half, almost three, years as an intermediate running a 911 truck. The remainder as a basic doing ift and hospital work.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Ten years as a whole in EMS. Five as a medic. Two and a half, almost three, years as an intermediate running a 911 truck. The remainder as a basic doing ift and hospital work.
I remember thinking to myself and my wife: "when our daughter is 10, I will have been a paramedic 10 years." Lo, and behold...time flies.

Also, Desert there's never any harm in dropping an app.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I'm 9 months of an EMT today. Uhm 9 months as a basic on a CC rig.. lol!
You folks be too smart for me.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
@DesertMedic66 if it's the base I am seeing on their corporate website, the turnover is relatively high (at least an annual/ bi-annual opening). My dream base with this respective service would be number 4.

Pick ups to, and from Catalina, and water-ditching drills. Uh, yes and yes. That's just my crazy self though.
Hesperia and Victorville have relatively high turn over rates. The majority of medics and RNs at this base have been there for 8+ years

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hesperia and Victorville have relatively high turn over rates. The majority of medics and RNs at this base have been there for 8+ years
Yeah they do. Victimville, and Hesperia are busy bases plain and simple.

I still think pick ups on Catalina and flyovers around Disneyland are pretty cherry. I see Fullerton flying over Disneyland (TFR) quite a bit.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I was asked to apply for my employing hospitals HEMS at a year and a half as a medic (same 3 year requirement). BUT we share a director and ive been building that relationship since day 1 at my service. I never did apply though, Im not sure im ready to give up 911 or my spot yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I was asked to apply for my employing hospitals HEMS at a year and a half as a medic (same 3 year requirement). BUT we share a director and ive been building that relationship since day 1 at my service. I never did apply though, Im not sure im ready to give up 911 or my spot yet.
For a 30 mile flight to, and from Catalina Island off of the coast of Long Beach, and frequent flyovers within some of SoCals premier hot spots I would be over "911" pretty damn quickly.