the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Giant stance is my current bike. Bought it for new $1,200 and have probably put about $500 in mods on it.

My next bike is gonna be a YT Industries Capra. I dream of the day when I can get that bike.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Mountain biking is a sport that I think I could get into. Maybe I'll ask Santa for one.

Any suggestions on a good beginners bike for all-around use? I don't want to spend a ton since I don't know how much I'll really get into it, but I also don't want to worry about wanting a more advanced bike in 6 months if I do ending up using it a lot. I'm a big heavy, strong (but badly out of shape) guy, FWTW.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Mountain biking is a sport that I think I could get into. Maybe I'll ask Santa for one.

Any suggestions on a good beginners bike for all-around use? I don't want to spend a ton since I don't know how much I'll really get into it, but I also don't want to worry about wanting a more advanced bike in 6 months if I do ending up using it a lot. I'm a big heavy, strong (but badly out of shape) guy, FWTW.

Trek makes some fairly affordable frames. They're a good reliable brand, TMK.

CALEMT

Depends on why type of mountain bike you want. Hardtail? Or full suspension?

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I still have my old Specialized Stump Jumper. (Mountain bike)

I've got an older Klein hard tail I bought used when it was about 3 years old and I was riding nearly everyday. It has a Mix of 8 speed XT and LX components. The frame doesn't fit me anymore but to get a new/newer bike of comparable quality will be $$$$$.

I'd love to start riding again so I've considering buying a cheaper bike just to get back into it.

CALEMT

I don't even know enough about the bikes or how I'd use it to even be able to answer that. I'm gonna talk to some guys who ride around here and get their opinion.

Depends on what riding discipline you're getting into. For instance, if all you're going to do is ride the mountain bike parks and do no trail riding whatsoever then I'd say pay the money and get a Santa Cruz V10. Or if you're like me and ride the bike park in the summer but in the winter you ride up the trails you ride down then I would suggest an all mountain type of bike. It all depends on what and how you're riding. If you like going mach 2 down a mountain then you're gonna need full suspension with a good amount of travel. Or like for the trails with little to no insanity a decent hard tail (front suspension only) will do the job just right. Go to a local bike shop and describe what type of riding you have in mind and test ride some bikes. Granted you won't be able to test ride them on trails, but different bikes have different setups, ergonomics, etc.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Full on flu today. Today of all days is the worst. Have a paper and speech that is due tonight and I was supposed to go to the funeral for the fallen officers tomorrow.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Full on flu today. Today of all days is the worst. Have a paper and speech that is due tonight and I was supposed to go to the funeral for the fallen officers tomorrow.
That's rough, man. If it's any consolation I had my first taste of what it feels like to fly with a head cold. Two words: not fun.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I ride Roadmaster. $110 at WalMart, 21 speed with brakes that stop it. 29'' tires, and it's top-of-the-line in 1965. #OldSkool #Cheap #10ish miles a week some weeks.

#BikeDork

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
That's rough, man. If it's any consolation I had my first taste of what it feels like to fly with a head cold. Two words: not fun.
I haven't had the flu in so many years, I don't even remember the last time I had it. A resting heart rate of 126 is normal right? Haha

CALEMT

I haven't had the flu in so many years, I don't even remember the last time I had it. A resting heart rate of 126 is normal right? Haha

You sound like Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_2192.GIF

CALEMT

When Desertmedic was in Egypt land. Let my Desertmedic go.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
When Desertmedic was in Egypt land. Let my Desertmedic go.
Hey, man two things:

1. The Man Cold--->that ****'s real.

2. I live in a dust bowl, it sucks this time of year. It is purrtty once the dust settles, though.

CALEMT

I live in a dust bowl, it sucks this time of year. It is purrtty once the dust settles, though.

Dust bowl? Ha. I live in the desert, the dust never settles here. Check and mate ;)