the 100% directionless thread

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Id like a raise. I can give you the phone number to call for me :D

Anything for you, bud ;)

Don't be mad if I accidentally mix up phone calls, though... The kid may end up with a raise while you're applying for a new iPad :lol:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
It's no different than any other job. There's nothing crazy or special or unique to working as an EMT.

EMT x 626

Forum Probie
It's no different than any other job. There's nothing crazy or special or unique to working as an EMT.

That has nothing to do to my question. As I never had a real
job before so I was just wondering do I call or go to their office and talk to who if I want to quit?

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
Hey guys so I have a question...
I applied at different places for an EMT position and I was wondering how do I turn down a job offered that I accepted a few days ago?
I don't want to be rude so what's the polite way to say you don't want to work for them anymore?

So, I know this isn't going to be a popular answer, (Having been bitten by it myself, <i>I</i> don't even particularly like it) but if you already accepted the offer, it would be dishonorable to back out now.

But then, I have a more than usually messed up notion of the proper way to conduct oneself.

Anjel

Forum Angel
This will be my first time working as an EMT so that's why I'm asking. Seesh.

You are ruining the directionless thread. Start your own thread if you want a serious discussion.

ety3e9ut.jpg

Anjel

Forum Angel
^^^^ sorry I was really cranky when I posted that

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
You know, I really am flattered that BLS thought I could fix the elderly, seizing Stage IV brain cancer patient during a 60 second transport, but for future reference, please don't bother waiting on scene for 6 minutes as we respond from the next town over in cases such as this.

Pro tip: If you can clearly read the "Emergency" sign of the ED and you know ALS isn't here yet, probably best to just load and go. We promise we'll understand.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Eight hour community paramedic class on a Saturday (Netflixday). Great. I'm all about furthering myself but mandating I go to a class on shift the day before it happens when you're not a supervisor is not going to make me happy.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
You know, I really am flattered that BLS thought I could fix the elderly, seizing Stage IV brain cancer patient during a 60 second transport, but for future reference, please don't bother waiting on scene for 6 minutes as we respond from the next town over in cases such as this.

Pro tip: If you can clearly read the "Emergency" sign of the ED and you know ALS isn't here yet, probably best to just load and go. We promise we'll understand.

"But, but....it said right on my skill sheet to call for ALS!"

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
It's not everyday living in the LA area you get a 3:50am text from the NWS saying "Tornado Warning. Take shelter now"

2azezypy.jpg

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My ex texted me yesterday with a picture of a flash flood warning on the TV in RivCo asking me what she was supposed to do. I told her grab a snorkel soldier you're going to war!

She wasn't amused.

I like being friends with my exes hahaha

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Fire Chiefs are God's gift to mankind. When they deem a helicopter is necessary (IE, their department needs some snazzy PR pics; It's been a long boring winter; They like the sounds whirly birds make; That wreck sure sounds scary on the radio), the helicopter will be landing and will be transporting. Advice of the paramedic caring for the patient is often nothing more than an asterisk to be ignored.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Fire Chiefs are God's gift to mankind. When they deem a helicopter is necessary (IE, their department needs some snazzy PR pics; It's been a long boring winter; They like the sounds whirly birds make; That wreck sure sounds scary on the radio), the helicopter will be landing and will be transporting. Advice of the paramedic caring for the patient is often nothing more than an asterisk to be ignored.

Wait I thought you guys were the top of the food chain there?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Wait I thought you guys were the top of the food chain there?

We are, except when it comes to helicopters. Patient care is completely our responsibility, but scene command falls under the domain of fire chiefs. We really only see them on MVAs, fire scenes, and cardiac arrests if we're unlucky. The current debate going on is whether helicopters fall under scene command or patient care. We (or at least I) argue that it is basically a choice of medical intervention whether or not a patient needs to be flown and that it should be the medic's call. We really aren't in a position to "need" to fly patients by logistics due to lack of ambulances. There will always be more rigs coming or available if needed. Some fire chiefs argue that it's logistics and if they want the patient flown, they had better get flown.

Our only argument we can make to overrule the chief is if we tell him it's medically unsafe to fly the patient for some reason and they have to go by ground.

This isn't even taking into account the current debate on helicopter destinations assuming they transport...

Last edited by a moderator: