the 100% directionless thread

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
It looks like it to me too ^ I've been wonderin' for a few days now...
I'm still confused as to why it's not upside down on my phone... That's what threw me off this morning, lol. On my laptop it is.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Go home EMTLife logo. You're Drunk

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
150 hours of ambulance time + 148 hours of hospital time + 96 hours of paramedic class time + 180 hours of community college class time = 574 hours between today and August 11th I need to complete to finish my paramedic class and associates degree. Number of hours between today and August 11th = 3864 subtracting 6 hours a night for sleep leaves 2898 hours. Or to put it another way between now and August 11th I will be spending 1 out of every 5 waking hours either in class, in the hospital, or on the ambulance. I haven't even added in hours for working, commuting or helping my gf plan this stupid wedding. So if I don't seem my usual cheery positive self over the next 5 months I'm sorry but you can just blow it out your :censored::censored::censored:

On the positive side at least I don't have any hair to pull out or go gray.

If anybody needs me I'll be in the corner sobbing silently.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
150 hours of ambulance time + 148 hours of hospital time + 96 hours of paramedic class time + 180 hours of community college class time = 574 hours between today and August 11th I need to complete to finish my paramedic class and associates degree. Number of hours between today and August 11th = 3864 subtracting 6 hours a night for sleep leaves 2898 hours. Or to put it another way between now and August 11th I will be spending 1 out of every 5 waking hours either in class, in the hospital, or on the ambulance. I haven't even added in hours for working, commuting or helping my gf plan this stupid wedding. So if I don't seem my usual cheery positive self over the next 5 months I'm sorry but you can just blow it out your :censored::censored::censored:

Now you know why our logo is upside down....somebody gave BBG access to it.
Go home EMTLife logo. You're Drunk

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Now you know why our logo is upside down....somebody gave BBG access to it.

Ha if I had access to it I would have hung myself from it by now :p

Anjel

Forum Angel

*raises weary head from desk and with hoarse voice says*

"No sympathy whatsoever"

*head thumps back down onto desk*

Mmhmm

Rettsani

Forum Captain

Come out of the corner.
I have the gray hair which you have not. ;)

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm back and I'm married. Great wedding and a great week in St. Thomas. Many beers, much rum, and so much sun and beach. Back to work today though, so blah.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I don't normally get dragged into Facebook anti-vax debates...but today was too much.

My reply:
First...I have a child with autism...so I have EVERY right to judge your misguided and backwards beliefs.

Why do you insist on diverting attention away from legitimate research to cling on to an idea that has been so thoroughly discredited the originator lost his medical license? Andrew Wakefield wanted to get rich off the backs of our kids, not find a legit cause for autism. Further, how dare you risk the lives of my children (because as you're so fond of pointing out, vaccines aren't 100% effective) so that you can have something to blame. Autism is a multi-factorial disorder. There will likely never be a "cure", but there is room for improvement with therapy...however you would rather see limited research dollars wasted on a Quixotesqe tilt at a long dead windmill.

Get over the blame. Bad things occasionally happen to good people. The energy you're expending would be much better spent on your kid.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Dear Paramedic Student,

Everyone knows you're in the OR for tubes. Everyone [that I've talked to] agrees that getting you tubes is important because, frankly, we don't want to be your first tube ever after you get into the field. That said, don't come in to the OR 30 seconds before we intubate, stand in the corner, and then skulk out of the room when you don't get a tube. A quick "Hi, I'm ___, I'm a paramedic student, mind if I intubate?", however, will work well for you. You'll never get a tube if the resident running the case doesn't even know you're in the room.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
OR dynamics do suck when you're not used to them though. I don't know if I've ever felt more out of my element than my first day of OR rotations. Unless you get a nurse or anesthesiologist looking to help, those can be some long days.

My experience ended up being standing in the main hallway and asking for the tube as they wheeled pts by. This was basically the only option as I never had the chance to introduce myself to the staff. As much as I would have loved to stay for parts of the procedure too, I was kicked out most of the time right after intubation.

JPINFV

Gadfly
First every shop is different.

Second, it's probably a much different view looking from the inside out than the outside in.

Granted, the following is N=1.

At my current hospital all the patients gets rolled by anesthesia past the control room and we flash the number to the person who maintains the board. When we get the patient into the OR is the best time to ask because there's plenty of time to chat as we move the patient over to the table and set up the monitors prior to induction. That's probably the best time to ask. Also, it's a county hospital with a residency program and a rotation site for a CRNA program. If you want to stay and talk and ask about meds, management, etc, I haven't met anyone who would say no.

...and they're very open to letting just about anyone try intubating short of extinuating circumstances (anterior/difficult airway, loose incisors, fornicating handle that wouldn't stay the forincation on before the last case). I didn't even have to intubate a manikin for them before my first intubation. The resident/SRNA and attending will be more than happy to walk you through it and provide constructive feedback.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Ah, Orange County EMS... just as I thought you were becoming sane you pull this crud.
RESPIRATORY DISTRESS– ADULT/ADOLESCENT

1. General:
Pulse oximetry, if oxygen saturation less than 95% administer one of following based on tolerance or condition:
High-flow Oxygen by mask if tolerated and no history of COPD
If mask not tolerated; oxygen by nasal cannula 6 liters/minute if tolerated and no history of COPD.
If history of COPD, Oxygen by nasal cannula 2 liters/minute\

http://healthdisasteroc.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=12036

So apparently it's better to not treat hypoxia than, in rare cases, induce apnea. If only paramedics had some way to treat apnea...

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Treat less than 95%? Say what? The majority of my patients live under that on a daily basis.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I would imagine that CPAP or BiPap there dont exist?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

JPINFV

Gadfly
I would imagine that CPAP or BiPap there dont exist?

They just got it a year or so ago, but only for "Wheezes, suspected asthma or otherforms of bronchospasm, including COPD:" in the resp. distress protocol.

Congratulations OC paramedics... you're on "comprehensive standing orders," but the standing orders are bull crud.