the 100% directionless thread

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
Ugh, I'm pretty sure I have the norovirus. I hate my life . This is not going to be fun.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
It's terrible to say but I get things from fire a lot easier with the last two partners I've had. Just have them ask hahaha.

As for postictal patients, sorry to hear that. I always sit in the CPR chair and pin their right arm with my left knee under their forearm and right knee over their wrist. Not leveraging on the joint and it holds their arm steady.

With that said, I usually just let them wake up and AMA them or at least until they aren't fighting anymore.

If it was my call I would have just gone with some IM or IN midazolam - because she was combative - and a nice quiet environment with her mom to reassure her. But fire knows best and they wanted to hold her down get a line on her :rolleyes:

My limb was stabilized and I was getting ready to drop the line in when someone on the leg lost their grip and I took the knee to the back of the head.

God, I can't wait to have my own rig.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Ugh, I'm pretty sure I have the norovirus. I hate my life . This is not going to be fun.

Not the one you want...let me know if you get paranoid.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
150 clinical hours scheduled in April. 16 clinicals in the hospital and I am done.

Then from May to the Middle of June I have 21 12 hour ALS rides to do. So roughly 3.5ish a week. Plus full time Pre nursing reqs, and a full time job.

Good bye EMT LIFE. I will have no life.

I see the light! And it's bright! And I'm gonna become a damn paramedic even if it kills me.

*raises weary head from desk and with hoarse voice says*

"No sympathy whatsoever"

*head thumps back down onto desk*

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Boo on subpoenas.

Really couldn't give me more notice than 6 days?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
No matter where I go the VA follows me everywhere. 200 mile roundtrip transfer to Denver for my second call.

On the upside I hit my first IV in a moving ambulance (on dirt roads no less) on my first call! And for saying this I'll probably miss my next 4747382 attempts.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
One of your calls?

Yea. Pulled the chart today, I remember this call pretty vividly. Good chart too so I'm not worried about it. From what I'm told by a couple guys that have had similar calls they never even went to court, all been plea bargains.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Yea. Pulled the chart today, I remember this call pretty vividly. Good chart too so I'm not worried about it. From what I'm told by a couple guys that have had similar calls they never even went to court, all been plea bargains.

I've only been called to court once, and it was pled out. Interesting thing was, I would have been going as a victim, because the guy kicked me on scene in front of a bunch of cops.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Not impressed with .38 Special.
GCS 15 CAOx4, 1 gsw left posterior shoulder, bullet ended up outside of rib cage over 5th rib. no other injury. complained of pain, swollen left pectoral, pain on breathing. vs slightly tachy and hypertensive. slow bleed, maybe 250mls total. lungs clear and equal in all fields bilaterally, sinus tach and good capno, normal tidal volume and workvof breathing.

Trauma dressing per smart, right IV access per smart, cspine per protocol, emergent per protocol. The fire basic recruit I took was pretty receptive, understood why no O2, chest dart or panic. Contained all blood in the halo seal. good call.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Had a very interesting patient today

Hurt his leg, OK, nothing major right? Next minute, like literally, had a cardiac arrest and died. Let me check my H's and T's ... hypoxia, hypo/hyperkalaemia, hypovolaemia, nope, hurt leg ain't there?

Guess it wasn't Good Friday for him huh? :D

I know, I know, I am so going to hell for taking the piss out of a dead guy but still.

SSwain

Forum Captain
Still not able to function properly. My back is getting better, but still hurts like a mother....
I was off all last week from my full time job, and this will be the 2nd weekend without working my EMS job.

I did get to drive on Wednesday afternoon. We had an EMS meeting and in the middle of it, a call came in for a MVA...5 people injured.

We had enough personell on to cover both our ambulances and had assistance from a neighboring department.

All 5 got transported... one by flight.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Had a very interesting patient today

Hurt his leg, OK, nothing major right? Next minute, like literally, had a cardiac arrest and died. Let me check my H's and T's ... hypoxia, hypo/hyperkalaemia, hypovolaemia, nope, hurt leg ain't there?

Guess it wasn't Good Friday for him huh? :D

I know, I know, I am so going to hell for taking the piss out of a dead guy but still.

Had he recently hurt his leg, or had it been a while? I don't know, maybe a big saddle PE. Sure sounds weird though. That kind of patient suddenly coding in front of me would definitely give me pause for a moment.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Had he recently hurt his leg, or had it been a while? I don't know, maybe a big saddle PE. Sure sounds weird though. That kind of patient suddenly coding in front of me would definitely give me pause for a moment.

I think the two are perhaps a coincidence; that the hurting his leg is not related but rather just happens to have preceded the cardiac arrest; a confounding red herring of sorts.

I thought perhaps DVT > PE scenario but I do not recall him having a history of anything that would predispose him such, well he had HTN, but everybody and their damn dog has HTN now-a-days so .... who knows.

He was DNR though so he wasn't resuscitated.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I don't know of a hand gun round I'd go into a fight I knew about before hand I'd choose. Unfortunately the attire required to conceal an M4 is usually not acceptable outside the S&M subculture.....:ph34r:

Somehow ended up reading some anti-vax stuff today. Makes me want to scream.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've only been called to court once, and it was pled out. Interesting thing was, I would have been going as a victim, because the guy kicked me on scene in front of a bunch of cops.

Same story here. DA called and said he pled guilty and I didn't have to appear.

Similar circumstance, homeboy faked a seizure after being removed from a public business then decided to haul off and hit me in the face in front of PD.

Have fun in prison señor! The DA's office here doesn't fool around with it, there's been a fair amount of violent crimes committed against EMS personnel here.

SSwain

Forum Captain

The .38 Special was introduced in 1898 as an improvement over the .38 Long Colt which, as a military service cartridge, was found to have inadequate stopping power against the frenzied charges of Moro warriors during the Philippine-American War.

The .45 ACP cartridge was designed by John Browning of Colt, but the most influential person in selecting the cartridge was Army Ordnance member Gen. John T. Thompson. Thompson insisted on a real "man stopper" pistol, following the poor showing of the Army's .38 Long Colt pistols during the Philippine-American War (1899–1902).

Thus the .45 ACP round was adopted by the US Military in 1911 to be used in the M1911 pistol.

I am a 1911 man myself, however, I do carry a titanium framed .38 revolver as my lightweight concealed carry choice.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
GCS 15 CAOx4, 1 gsw left posterior shoulder, bullet ended up outside of rib cage over 5th rib. no other injury. complained of pain, swollen left pectoral, pain on breathing. vs slightly tachy and hypertensive. slow bleed, maybe 250mls total. lungs clear and equal in all fields bilaterally, sinus tach and good capno, normal tidal volume and workvof breathing.

Trauma dressing per smart, right IV access per smart, cspine per protocol, emergent per protocol. The fire basic recruit I took was pretty receptive, understood why no O2, chest dart or panic. Contained all blood in the halo seal. good call.

Shot placement, man.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Shot placement, man.

Yep. I prefer a gun with less of a kick (insert joke here). It's much easier to keep on your target which means more rounds in your target.