the 100% directionless thread

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
"You're responding to a 47Yo male complaining of right leg pain secondary to ... pregnancy."

Transgender? It's been known to happen. Good luck with that :)

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
Sexual anomalies? Possibly xxy? Or may it be a delusion from drugs? Or may it be delusions of personality disorder? Possibly some kind of dementia? DSM may have the answer to this. Maybe it's a dilusional druggie looking for morphine? Interesting case....

JPINFV

Gadfly
Transgender? It's been known to happen. Good luck with that :)

Yea... but it's not really impressive when the factory installed equipment still works, regardless of the person's gender.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sexual anomalies? Possibly xxy?

In general chromosomal and genetic abnormalities (Klinfelters, androgen insensitivity, etc) are sterile and have male internal equipment regardless of what's on the outside (i.e. complete androgen insensitivity will have a female appearance with breast development, vulva, 2/3rds of a vagina, female fat distribution, but descended testicles, prostate, no uterus, etc. It's generally diagnosed when a teenage female doesn't go through menarche).

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
That's where it gets tricky you may never know, a lot of men or women rarely go in to check if they have chromosomal ambiguity , most of them find out when they go to a geneticist from reproduction failure, my professor found out that she was a hermaphrodite from that same exact reason. There are many types of sexual anomalies from pseudo hermaphrodite to true hermaphrodite ... interesting stuff, it is possible to "self pollinate"... its depending in the site where the gene crossed over. Genetics is a new and mysterious field... make you think twice about creation...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Just had an awesome priority one save. 70-year-old female, unconscious, not breathing. She was choking on a roast beef sandwich. Abdominal thrusts, chest compressions, bag valve mask ventilations not effective.

I arrived on scene and used McGills and a Mac 4 to remove a gigantic wad of sandwich.

It was really cool.

:)

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Just had an awesome priority one save. 70-year-old female, unconscious, not breathing. She was choking on a roast beef sandwich. Abdominal thrusts, chest compressions, bag valve mask ventilations not effective.

I arrived on scene and used McGills and a Mac 4 to remove a gigantic wad of sandwich.

It was really cool.

Good work, a true save

bigbaldguy

It was really cool.

Nice! Now the important question. Did you save the sandwich and how was it?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Good work, a true save

Right. Most of what we do as paramedics isn't really "mission critical". Removing a complete airway obstruction is really one of those "damn, it's a good thing a paramedic was here" skills.

I don't write this post to brag, although I do feel pretty chuffed… It's more like, this is really cool and I wanted to share with my brothers and sisters.

bigbaldguy

It looked good… Glad it didn't have mayonnaise on it, that would've made it harder to grab with the McGills. :)

Yeah but at least it wouldn't have been so dry, actually come to think of it no wonder she choked on it. No mayonnaise I would have choked too :) Seriously nice work life saver!

Achilles

Forum Moron
Hey I have a quick question, I've been getting mixed answers about it.
So which is better, BVM or mouth to mask?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Mouth to mouth. Without a question.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Depends. Cardiac or respiratory arrest? How many people? Etc. Arguably mouth to mask if one person is managing airway and respiration's because you can use two hands to keep the seal. Additionally, the fancy masks have a port that you can hook up to an oxygen tank. So while it might not be 100% oxygen, it's more than room air.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
It's amazing how the thought of a lawsuit causes EMS providers to lose any goad all good sense...