the 100% directionless thread

JPINFV

Gadfly
Buy one at bestbuy and get the accidental damage plan :p Or take it to an iphone repair place on CL and they will replace the screen for much cheaper.

The problem is that that would void
my warranty.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Got my awesome prize today, plus a bonus. Awesome patch BBG! Thanks!
a693599f-fe8b-2209.jpg

Nice! They look great, BBG!

Thanks guys. Those patches are awesome you just put it on whatever you want it on, run an iron on high over it for 60 seconds or so and that suckers not coming off.

Remember everybody, subscribe to the contests forum for breaking news on new contests and chances to win stickers, patches and other awesome swag.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sigh. Almost got into a fight with one of my residents (cool guy. It's funny because the other students made a comment that we were like different versions of the same person with how we were fighting) because he thinks there's "a law" requiring paramedics to take patients to the closest hospital which trumps specialty needs (we were talking about cardiac caths today). I'm sure some [insert unkind words] paramedic or EMT used the "it's a law" line after not diverting a patient who had a STEMI.

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
There are a few services here in California which don't have 12 lead EKG so chest pain still goes to the nearest facility. They are then transported by CCT or a MICN RN accompanies the ALS crew. Only trauma can bypass other facilities.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
There are a few services here in California which don't have 12 lead EKG so chest pain still goes to the nearest facility. They are then transported by CCT or a MICN RN accompanies the ALS crew. Only trauma can bypass other facilities.

There is a big difference between a generalized law, and a local policy/protocol.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Umm, I'm going to bet that the Chino (ICEMA) area isn't included in that area.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Umm, I'm going to bet that the Chino (ICEMA) area isn't included in that area.

I'm pretty sure you are correct. Did a ride out with the company that covers that area and they all have 12 leads...

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm pretty sure you are correct. Did a ride out with the company that covers that area and they all have 12 leads...

cough AMR cough.

The other "cool story bro" from today was our lunch lecture was from a family practice physician who specializes in pallative care. When she asked if anyone knew what a POLST was, she correctly guessed that I was an EMT. I also got to go on a minirant about DNR forms not being filled out properly (read signed) and the consequences thereof (your patient is now, as far as the ambulance crew is concerned, a full code. Enjoy the bounce when it happens).

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
That is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I found one that was dated 5 years ago that wasn't signed. The staff said I was the first person to ever point out that the MD hadn't signed it. :glare:

JPINFV

Gadfly
That is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I found one that was dated 5 years ago that wasn't signed. The staff said I was the first person to ever point out that the MD hadn't signed it. :glare:

My favorite was the physician line signed, "Mrs. Nurse, RN."

You know, if you hadn't had put that RN I could have at least assumed you were a consultant or something, but the RN kinda of ruins that.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

Or patient request, I would hope.

Or services offered at a given hospital like hyperbaric treatment, neurosurgery, hand ortho, etc. there is so much more to choosing the right hospital than proximity.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
However right or wrong it may be, I have learned through trial and error that its pretty easy to manipulate your patient into agreeing to the correct hospital.

i.e. NH fall that hospital A may or may not trauma activate so just pushing for B from the start.

Or a pregnant woman in a car wreck that uses Womens hospital A, but they only do trauma at C so talking her into D that does all of the above.

Its really screwed up down here

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
However right or wrong it may be, I have learned through trial and error that its pretty easy to manipulate your patient into agreeing to the correct hospital.

i.e. NH fall that hospital A may or may not trauma activate so just pushing for B from the start.

Or a pregnant woman in a car wreck that uses Womens hospital A, but they only do trauma at C so talking her into D that does all of the above.

Its really screwed up down here

For your system the patient has to agree to go to the correct hospital?

If there is a medical reason why the patient needs to go to hospital B but they need hospital A then we get the final call on taking them to hospital A (we have one hospital that will not (unless forced) take OB/pregancy and traumas, so it happens here quite often).

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
For your system the patient has to agree to go to the correct hospital?

If there is a medical reason why the patient needs to go to hospital B but they need hospital A then we get the final call on taking them to hospital A (we have one hospital that will not (unless forced) take OB/pregancy and traumas, so it happens here quite often).

Technically yes, but a firm "NO we cant take you there" usually does the trick. If they are absolutely adamant about going we agree to take them and then quickly call report to a doctor and get diversion orders :D

SSwain

Forum Captain
Still waiting to see if I will get the part time EMT job at a local village.
Had several meetings,did my physical abilities tests, blood work and drug screen. (I have nothing to worry about with them)

Called 2x and left a voice mail to ask what's the next step I need to take.

EMS director has not called me back. It's been a couple weeks now.

It would be nice to know if I still am in it, or out of it completely. You would think a courtesy call back to let me know would be a polite thing to do.
GRRrrrr:angry:

Anjel

Forum Angel
Today is the day I will be marrying my best friend.

Ill be sure to post on here during the ceremony. :p