Testicle Pain

Yurong

Forum Probie
Dispatched for a 78 year old male with abdominal pain. On arrival the 78 year old walks to your ambulance and states that his left testicle feels like "its on fire and is trying to tear itself in two). Pt states he has never been ill, and hasnt seen a doctor since 1972. No medications, prior medical Hx, allergies. Pt denies doing anything that he doesn't do every day - walk one mile, milk the cow (seriously) and listen to the radio on the couch. Pain began thirty minutes prior. denies any other pain except for the testicle. Abdomen is soft, non-tender.

First vitals:

HR: 84 reg, Respirations: 24 increased clear bilat, Skin: WPD, BP: 146/76, ECG: Sinus

Begin transport, patient cannot hold still and is obvious severe pain. 7 minutes later, pt stops yelling, become diaphoretic and pale and becomes unresponsive. one minute left to the hospital vitals:

ECG: Sinus Brady, Respirations 8 Shallow, Skin: pale, clammy, HR: 30, BP: 60/palp.

So what happened? Answer will be in the next post - just highlight it to read. This actually happened to me about 2 months after I first got my medic.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Y

Yurong

Forum Probie
Patient is offloaded at the hospital and moved into the first trauma bay. New ER doc (first job out of residency, three weeks post boards) is dumbfounded and begins to treat the hypotension and bradycardia when our agency OMD walks in. He asks what is going on and then grabs the portable ultrasound machine. He promptly curses and calls to have an OR table prepped for the AAA that this guy just had. This hospital is only a level 4 and they don't usually handle this kind of thing, but the guy wouldn't have made it the 25 minutes ground or 15 air to the local level 2. They rolled him upstairs, literally kicked someone out of an OR room who was being prepped for some elective surgery and they opened him up right there. Best thing is, I was able to watch the whole thing.

Now someone please find my a paramedic book anywhere that has referred testicle pain as a possible sign for a ruptured AAA, especially lacking the other signs. Best the read up on http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...21&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=8c
f9e54e871991f9e47555ed68b8f841 just in case it ever happens to you.[/COLOR]

JPINFV

Gadfly
Now someone please find my a paramedic book anywhere that has referred testicle pain as a possible sign for a ruptured AAA, especially lacking the other signs.

Actually, if you know where the gonads originate from and where their blood supply and nerves originate from, it makes complete sense. Although to be fair, I probably wouldn't have thought of AAA. Testicular torsion? Sure. STDs? Maybe. AAA? Most likely not.

OP
OP
Y

Yurong

Forum Probie
Sure it makes sense now, but tell me thats what you were thinking when you first read it :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
See edited post... I was adding things as you replied.

OP
OP
Y

Yurong

Forum Probie
Yeah, torsion was my first thought (actually, my first thought was he pissed his wife off).

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Torsion was my first thought too, then a cyst/infection and then cancer (he hasn't seen a doctor in 30 years, who knows what undiagnosed problems he may be having). But neither of those really correlate to his rapid deterioration. At that point I did think AAA, mostly because any severe abdominal area pain followed by an onset of very bad vital signs is a AAA until proven otherwise.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Dispatched for a 78 year old male with abdominal pain. On arrival the 78 year old walks to your ambulance and states that his left testicle feels like "its on fire and is trying to tear itself in two). Pt states he has never been ill, and hasnt seen a doctor since 1972. No medications, prior medical Hx, allergies. Pt denies doing anything that he doesn't do every day - walk one mile, milk the cow (seriously) and listen to the radio on the couch. Pain began thirty minutes prior. denies any other pain except for the testicle. Abdomen is soft, non-tender.

First vitals:

HR: 84 reg, Respirations: 24 increased clear bilat, Skin: WPD, BP: 146/76, ECG: Sinus

Begin transport, patient cannot hold still and is obvious severe pain. 7 minutes later, pt stops yelling, become diaphoretic and pale and becomes unresponsive. one minute left to the hospital vitals:

ECG: Sinus Brady, Respirations 8 Shallow, Skin: pale, clammy, HR: 30, BP: 60/palp.

So what happened? Answer will be in the next post - just highlight it to read. This actually happened to me about 2 months after I first got my medic.

Had a cardiac patient like this once. Everything about him looked like every cardiac patient I had ever seen so, I went with cardiac. Tortion or epididimitis look like pain. My guy looked like approaching death. Yep, testicular pain vs. cardiac. Triple bypass that night.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Before I read your post, my first thought was testicular torsion or epididymitis. Then I got to the part where he started going south. Once I finished reading your scenario I thought about it for a moment and thought about his primary complaint: "it feels like my testicles are being torn in two". Now I was always taught and have had this backed up but 99% of the time when a patient complains of a tearing sensation in the abdomen, think AAA.

My intial reaction was AAA with deferred pain from the area. Just because the patient says their pain is in one area, doesn't always mean that the injury is in that area. Think about what they are saying and do a differential on what that could be. When someone says tearing, my first thought is always AAA. This applied here, as I read I kept thinking testicle issue, till I read the 'tearing' part.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
ive had epididimytis.... it sucks... period. but the pain isnt what the op described...

i would have asked his if both testicles were "in the sack" to make sure that maybe it wasn't actually up in the pelvic region.

had that been ok... i would have been with everyone and gone with the torsion. but i would also have liked to have seen is there was any swelling or bleeding to the scrotal area.

If that had been negative... i woulda been scratching my head! :p

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Cool scenario. My thinking was torsion.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I've had torsion oh wow did that hurt, they gave me two tylenol (cheap buggers) and said wait to see the surgical registrar (who was, guess where, in surgery!)

My A&P book (Marieb) says the inferior hypogastric plexus serves the testes and that it is intercepted by the the inferior portion of the aortic plexus and runs back to L2.

See, now that makes sense.

Kind of like referred pain eh?

.... Anatomy Brown away :ph34r:

Simusid

Forum Captain
This may be as close as I ever get to an AAA. I know we were told "tearing pain" is a sign of AAA in class but I must admit I missed it here on my first read through.

We were also told that a sign of AAA is a pulsating mass. I was amazed to read that the artery can expand to 5 cm diameter. That is pretty big and I'm not surprised that it would be pulsating. My question is, when it ruptures and the patient begins to crash, would it still be pulsating? It seems to me that it would deflate like a balloon. So if you missed it in the focused physical you might not have a second chance to catch it.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
This may be as close as I ever get to an AAA. I know we were told "tearing pain" is a sign of AAA in class but I must admit I missed it here on my first read through.

We were also told that a sign of AAA is a pulsating mass. I was amazed to read that the artery can expand to 5 cm diameter. That is pretty big and I'm not surprised that it would be pulsating. My question is, when it ruptures and the patient begins to crash, would it still be pulsating? It seems to me that it would deflate like a balloon. So if you missed it in the focused physical you might not have a second chance to catch it.

The of the patient's blood would dump rapidly so, expect an arrest.

Jeffrey_169

Forum Lieutenant
Interesting post. I must admit you stumped me. You learn something new every day.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Why has no one palpated the testicles?

Why has no one palpated the testicles? Do your job and do it right. You have to be willing to look, listen, and feel in EMS. Guess what that means touching peoples genitals as well. It is time to realize you are in a medical field not diesel bolus tech.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why has no one palpated the testicles? Do your job and do it right. You have to be willing to look, listen, and feel in EMS. Guess what that means touching peoples genitals as well. It is time to realize you are in a medical field not diesel bolus tech.

So... you give all of your multisystem trauma patients a digital rectal exam to test for sphincter tone, correct?

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief

Explain to me how this will benefit either one of us?