Test advice for Mercy Air

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Not that I have noticed. It’s the standard AM paint scheme
There used to be one that had a purple tinge; it was a spare that we all HATED with a passion!

We nicknamed it Herpes because we wanted it gone but it always came back.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Could’ve sworn 224AM had that purple tinge when it was Mojave’s new airship.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
OP
OP
C

CTMD

Forum Crew Member
How did the ride along go?
It went well! Unfortunately, we didn't have any calls but we did have to fly to Big Bear to swap out radios and do some stuff. At least I got some flight time! My crew was a gold mine of information. Based on their suggestions I dropped in my first app with mercy and am signed up to take the critical care test on Sunday! Unfortunately, Mercy emailed me today and said that the base I applied to (El Centro) is no longer hiring so that was disappointing. I dropped two apps into Thermal and Hemet so fingers crossed one of those works out!

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
It went well! Unfortunately, we didn't have any calls but we did have to fly to Big Bear to swap out radios and do some stuff. At least I got some flight time! My crew was a gold mine of information. Based on their suggestions I dropped in my first app with mercy and am signed up to take the critical care test on Sunday! Unfortunately, Mercy emailed me today and said that the base I applied to (El Centro) is no longer hiring so that was disappointing. I dropped two apps into Thermal and Hemet so fingers crossed one of those works out!
If you want to drive I think there is a spot in Pahrump. Not sure where you live.

OP
OP
C

CTMD

Forum Crew Member
If you want to drive I think there is a spot in Pahrump. Not sure where you live.
I live in Rancho Cucamonga. I looked a month ago and saw there was an opening, but now all I see is a Base Supervisor position in Pahrump.. Perhaps they haven't flown the open position yet? Or they already hired a medic...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I live in Rancho Cucamonga. I looked a month ago and saw there was an opening, but now all I see is a Base Supervisor position in Pahrump.. Perhaps they haven't flown the open position yet? Or they already hired a medic...
Just keep applying. It’s competitive. My old flight nurse works in El Centro. And we just lost two of our peeps to SkyLife.

If you’re serious about flying you’ll be open to commuting. I’m guessing you are if you applied for El Centro. Barstow would also be on my radar if I were you. GL.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Just keep applying. It’s competitive. My old flight nurse works in El Centro. And we just lost two of our peeps to SkyLife.

If you’re serious about flying you’ll be open to commuting. I’m guessing you are if you applied for El Centro. Barstow would also be on my radar if I were you. GL.
SkyLife?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
SkyLife has been a similar setup to how Hall ambulance Medivac is ran. Pilot/mechanic/aircraft are Air Methods with clinical crew being American Ambulance employees (ADM). There were some issues up there so Air Methods decided to covert the entire thing to a standard CBS. Air Methods did the same thing with the Riggs airships up north.

OP
OP
C

CTMD

Forum Crew Member

I'm not opposed to commuting, I'm just not sure how far I am willing to drive yet. lol I'm thinking about Havasu but I'm not sure if the pay would make up for the increased travel time. It's 250 miles one way which isn't super ideal but I might just do it.
I would love to work at Barstow but I don't think there are any openings right now. Thanks for the luck, I'll need it!

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I'm not opposed to commuting, I'm just not sure how far I am willing to drive yet. lol I'm thinking about Havasu but I'm not sure if the pay would make up for the increased travel time. It's 250 miles one way which isn't super ideal but I might just do it.
I would love to work at Barstow but I don't think there are any openings right now. Thanks for the luck, I'll need it!
To be honest with you, I know a handful of dudes who took the job commuting hundreds of miles because they wanted it so bad, and almost all of them had issues and didn’t last very long. Eventually, life just gets in the way; commuting for an additional 6 hours round trip on top of your 24 hour shift (which in some cases could become a 25 hour or 30 hour shift with a late call for an “antibiotic drip” that is infused before you even get to the bedside) eventually gets to you when the glamor wears off.

If you have a family or other things going on like school or something... commuting for hours and hours eventually gets everyone a little butt hurty.

Especially when there are openings at closer bases that go to someone else because such spots are “easier to fill” than your spot. Let that happen to you once and you’ll be over it quick.

Those are just my words of caution for taking a job too far away. I would hold out for a closer opening, keep studying, and keep trying to be the best medic you can be. Going on more ride alongs, and networking in the mean time so people can put a face to your name can also help when it comes time to hire.

I was lucky enough to get the base I wanted, but I’ve seen this multiple times.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
To be honest with you, I know a handful of dudes who took the job commuting hundreds of miles because they wanted it so bad, and almost all of them had issues and didn’t last very long. Eventually, life just gets in the way; commuting for an additional 6 hours round trip on top of your 24 hour shift (which in some cases could become a 25 hour or 30 hour shift with a late call for an “antibiotic drip” that is infused before you even get to the bedside) eventually gets to you when the glamor wears off.

If you have a family or other things going on like school or something... commuting for hours and hours eventually gets everyone a little butt hurty.

Especially when there are openings at closer bases that go to someone else because such spots are “easier to fill” than your spot. Let that happen to you once and you’ll be over it quick.

Those are just my words of caution for taking a job too far away. I would hold out for a closer opening, keep studying, and keep trying to be the best medic you can be. Going on more ride alongs, and networking in the mean time so people can put a face to your name can also help when it comes time to hire.

This could not be more true. For my first base I was commuting about 3 hours one way for a 24 hour shift. The only thing that made it bearable was on my day in between shifts I was able to stay at our off duty crew house.

It starts to wear on you fast. Sure it may only be a 3 hour drive but if you start shift at 0600, we’ll now I have to leave at 0300 but because I hate being late I would leave at 0230 at the latest.

It is sometimes better to wait for something closer to open.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief

All of this.... 250 miles is insane, but you do you. Like others have said, your time where that is bearable and enjoyable will be limited. As soon as the newness of flying wears off it's a job like anything else, and a 250 mile commute straight up sucks no matter the schedule or how you slice it. Couple of tough 24's and you have that drive home and you will be regretting your decision. Hell I drove 65 miles and that was tough sometimes after a long shift. Don't have blinder's on just to get a spot.

OP
OP
C

CTMD

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for all of your inputs! I don't think I will be applying there after all. That's just too far for me and making a 4-hour drive one way just does not seem that desirable. Fingers crossed that Thermal or Hemet work out! I take my test in 2 hours so time for some last-minute studying. Those are a little bit far for me, but an hour to hour and a half commute doesn't seem quite so bad compared to driving all the way to Arizona!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Let me know if you would like any information on Hemet or thermal.