TCCC (Tactical Combat Casualty Care)

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Thanks. I was just wondering if those certs were accepted on the same level as NAEMT.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
It's all relative. Where do you want to work, and for who? Because if you want a tac medic cert to work for AMR, they don't care- they likely have no idea what that is. A police dept likely trains their own. If you want to get into contracting or "mercinary" type of work than it may be advantageous to have. Truthfully, otherwise it just isn't something a fire dept or whatever is going to be impressed with. That isn't the arena of standard EMS.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's all relative. Where do you want to work, and for who? Because if you want a tac medic cert to work for AMR, they don't care- they likely have no idea what that is. A police dept likely trains their own. If you want to get into contracting or "mercinary" type of work than it may be advantageous to have. Truthfully, otherwise it just isn't something a fire dept or whatever is going to be impressed with. That isn't the arena of standard EMS.

An AMR operation in my area just started a tactical medic team. All team members had to pass the ISTM classes. They are issues body armor, gas masks, helmets, and their ambulance is a flat black painted type III (it looks pretty badass).

We have some fire departments in the area that supply tactical medics to the police department for SWAT operations.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Sandpit, thanks for the continuing input. I've have gone through three TCCC Provider courses, one private and two Navy and was a TCCC Instructor for ATSCC in VA. Not looking to do anything right now. Just enjoy TCCC and like keeping informed. What do you know about TP-C?

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
An AMR operation in my area just started a TACTICOOL medic team.

Fixed it for you. ;)

Rural right? Sounds fun, and I am quite shocked that a private like AMR would do that. Good training to have though.

Not looking to do anything right now. Just enjoy TCCC and like keeping informed. What do you know about TP-C?

Good knowledge to have; no doubt about that.

Honestly, I don't know a lot about the NAEMT TP-C. I didn't even know it existed until I began pursuing the FP-C.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Fixed it for you. ;)

Rural right? Sounds fun, and I am quite shocked that a private like AMR would do that. Good training to have though.

Good knowledge to have; no doubt about that.

Honestly, I don't know a lot about the NAEMT TP-C. I didn't even know it existed until I began pursuing the FP-C.
Tccc is an naemt course. TP-C is done by the BCCTPC ans is completely separate.
I'm doing TCCC eventually because my company pays for it, and I've got an application in with the university of NM for the state police tactical team that gets its medics through a contract from UNMH

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Fixed it for you. ;)

Urban. It's for the biggest city that that division covers, over 300K population.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Oh really? I thought it was NAEMT because the test is administered through their website... It's an option in their web page, that referres you to a testing center. I stand corrected. I haven't really looked into it. I've never seen a vacancy announcement that had it as a desired qualification. (Obviously it wouldn't hurt, and the more qualified the more marketable you become.) I stand corrected.

As for the local/regional TEMS guys in the private ambo realm. Well, that sounds like fun. I'd do that. I've heard of FD's having TEMS folk that are regular FF/PMs that get tasked to SWAT call outs, and of dual role sworn LEOs. Although, this is the first I've heard of an AMR division training up and deploying for such actions. (Or any private for that matter.)

As far as full on breach&clear and medical care under fire though, I haven't heard of any single role medics in the US. Perhaps the perceived escalation of mass shootings is expediting the curve on that though.

My current agency does police situation stand-bys. We are always in the cold zone. If there is a CASEVAC the SWAT guys bring them to us. We don't get any tacticool gear though.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
ma7u3asa.jpg

du8apa6e.jpg

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
ISTM modules A B C is the only way to become certified through ACEP to sit for the exam and get board certified.

Everything else is secondary to ISTM

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Re: those pictures:

Cool :censored::censored::censored::censored:! Makes for a big target too. Strap that helmet on tight and get off the X.

I want to see this pop up in my city.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Re: those pictures:

Cool :censored::censored::censored::censored:! Makes for a big target too. Strap that helmet on tight and get off the X.

I want to see this pop up in my city.

I want to get on the team because right now they only have 4 members I think. For the unit you have to be a medic, at least 2 years full time, and pass all the ISTM classes. It's at a different division than where I am, so that's going to be the issue.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Sandpit we've had a TEMS team who operate in the stack with the local and federal teams in the area for like 15+ years now. The active shooters we've had recently they've been the first to enter and make grabs with patrol far before SWAT is on scene or at least organized to enter. They are TEMS second and a street medic first though so they're out on the street running calls.

Private under a Public Utility Model.

Hoping I can get a cool guy job when I go back since I meet the requirements now, just waiting for the shoulder and then to test.

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I put in for our MSOU (TEMS) team later this week. Crossing my fingers. Along with TEMS, we get an expanded scope for everyday use, and a lot more training. We're still medic first, MSOU second though.

Last edited by a moderator: