TABLETS

KCONWAY83

Forum Ride Along
Our Squad is looking to purchase a tablet for each rig. looking for some feed back, who has them, best places to order from the pro and con you have with your tablet. can it link with EMScharts? thanks in advance

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Think we probably all have them. We just use Panasonic tough books with Zoll PCR software. Some use ipads. All depends what you're looking for. I like the toughbook considering how much it gets abused. Dropped it in a deep puddle the other night and it was good to go!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We use the Panasonic tough tablets. I actually really like them and have not had any issues with them. We are on a company specific ePCR software tho.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
We have the Panasonic Toughbooks right now, but are transitioning to updated software and tablets. I'm very curious how they'll hold up with the abuse they'll get. I do not know what brand tablet IT is getting, I haven't seen one yet.

JDub

Forum Lieutenant
We carry the Panasonic ToughBooks in our ambulances and I think they are fantastic. We also have the Panasonic Tough Tablets in our sprint and specialty response vehicles. I personally can't stand the tablets. Even with a bluetooth keyboard it is just impossible to finish a lengthy report in a reasonable amount of time. Now if you found an EPCR program specifically designed for tablets that might be different, but I still don't want to write a narrative on one.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We carry the Panasonic ToughBooks in our ambulances and I think they are fantastic. We also have the Panasonic Tough Tablets in our sprint and specialty response vehicles. I personally can't stand the tablets. Even with a bluetooth keyboard it is just impossible to finish a lengthy report in a reasonable amount of time. Now if you found an EPCR program specifically designed for tablets that might be different, but I still don't want to write a narrative on one.
It took us a little while to adjust to the Bluetooth keyboards we use but we all have adjusted and they can be completed just as quick as a normal tough book now

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We use iMotion F5 tablets with a plug in USB keyboard. We aren't the busiest service but we're still on the originals three years later. Also cost way less than the toughbooks and run ESO really well.

medicnick83

Forum Lieutenant
In our vehicles, we have tablets (which we call MDT's) in the front of the vehicles which direct us to calls and give our crews call details (this is just a quick basic explanation) as well as provide GPS direction.
Soon, we'll be rolling out tablets in the back of our ambulances which we call PDT's and those will allow crews to electronically capture ePCR (electronic patient care reports)
Very big thing we doing in our service and I'm actually excited.

The tablets in the front are mostly Google Nexus.
The tablets in the rear are Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 tablets.

SpecialK

Forum Captain
MDT and ePRF run on Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1" with 4G and a tough outer case; work really well. I have also used a laptop and I think they're rubbiish.

Obstructions

Forum Crew Member
We just ordered a set of Toughbooks 19s for each of our primary trucks in our fleet....I am so excited haha. Fast computers for everyone!!

Melee

Forum Ride Along
We use Panasonic Toughbooks. They're fairly durable, but not idiot proof. Ours was on the back of the cot along with a D tank the other day, and my partner went to lay the head down all the way.

Me: watch out, the tough book's back there
New partner: it's tough; it can take it
Toughbook: Crack!
Me: *facepalm*

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
You can have extremely fast computers and tablets... but if your ePCR software requires a network connection to do everything and the connection is s.l.o.w... you're hosed. Similarly, even if you have a very fast network and speedy tools for the end user and your server is overloaded or simply not up to the task, same thing. For EMS, as long as the program/system is capable of running in a stand-alone manner and it's reasonably quick and it's at least generally user-friendly, I'm almost all for it.

All I ask of the hardware is that it is generally tough, speedy enough to run the software with room for upgrades, and have enough storage to deal with large upgrades in software as well. The hardware also needs to be able to communicate with the outside world if necessary. That's a whole different set of solutions...