SWAT medic questions.

chriso

Forum Crew Member
Howdy everyone, I have a few questions regarding becoming a SWAT Medic. I've been working on a rig for about a year now (EMT) and I've always wanted to be in LE. Right now I'm on the verge of going to POST Academy or Paramedic school. Eventually I want to become a SWAT Medic. Now I'm not quite sure what the best course of action for this would be. Become a Medic first? Or do POST maintain my EMT and eventually see if I can get through Medic school through a Dept? I'm two semesters away from my AS in Criminal Justice as well. Thanks!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
hey man,

It's friday night. There are a few SWAT medics here, give them some time.

nemedic

Forum Captain
Howdy everyone, I have a few questions regarding becoming a SWAT Medic. I've been working on a rig for about a year now (EMT) and I've always wanted to be in LE. Right now I'm on the verge of going to POST Academy or Paramedic school. Eventually I want to become a SWAT Medic. Now I'm not quite sure what the best course of action for this would be. Become a Medic first? Or do POST maintain my EMT and eventually see if I can get through Medic school through a Dept? I'm two semesters away from my AS in Criminal Justice as well. Thanks!

Neither a paramedic nor a SWAT/LEO, but if memory serves, when this subject comes up, it depends on the area. Some have their department members go through medic school, some have a tactical add on cert and "borrow" a few bodies from the local 911 or other EMS provider. IMHO and YMMV, I'd ask around your local PDs as to what they require, then you'll know the process and certs you'll need

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Our TEMS medics are street medics first then TEMS medics second. They are employed by the EMS agency, not the PD or SO and work a regular shift on the street and are on call for TEMS.

Like nemedic said, it's going to vary by department.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
ya it was the same in Portland, there where medics on the Fire Department who got called in for TEMS and also got to do some OT training with SWAT but fire department was there primary mission.

Maybe try looking into some bigger city's departments like LA, NYC, Boston, Chicago, ect

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Maybe try looking into some bigger city's departments like LA, NYC, Boston, Chicago, ect

Tactical medics around here seem to be paramedics first. The people I've spoken to recommend CONTOMS for aspiring medics.

Most of Metro Boston uses regional SWAT resources handled through local law enforcement councils. The people on the LEC SWAT and tactical medic teams have real jobs too, usually with a member department or local EMS. At least one LEC does "borrow bodies", but it's not for direct tactical use. It all seems a little ad hoc.

There isn't much info online about BPD SWAT (even though I see them and their badass black Suburbans out all the time); it doesn't fit with the Operation Hoodsie Cup PR focus Mumbles prefers. I suspect Boston EMS has little or nothing to do with them, but I have no solid info. BEMS Special Ops is focused on incidents anticipated and unanticipated, hazmat, and maybe urban SAR.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have several friends who are involved in the regional lepcs... and the prevailing training to get in the door seems to be TCCCC.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I know a few people that are on (or were on) SWAT teams as medics. One up in Wisconsin was part of the local ambulance service, the SWAT team just pulled medics from there and train them in the tactical aspect of SWAT and TCCC. Another guy in Texas is on the fire department as a shift supe and also works as a SWAT medic while on duty. The PD just has a pool of guys, always on duty with the FD they pull from if the need a SWAT team.

HN8404

Forum Probie
wondering

I know a few people that are on (or were on) SWAT teams as medics. One up in Wisconsin was part of the local ambulance service, the SWAT team just pulled medics from there and train them in the tactical aspect of SWAT and TCCC. Another guy in Texas is on the fire department as a shift supe and also works as a SWAT medic while on duty. The PD just has a pool of guys, always on duty with the FD they pull from if the need a SWAT team.

I was wondering, do they do the same thing around the Colorado state? Or do they just pull in Police to train as EMT's?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For our local PD SWAT team the medics are fire department EMTs/Medics and or Doctors.

I'm not familiar with any PD being Medics in my area (ex medics but not currently). We do have an international school of tactical medicine in my city tho.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Tactical Medics inside the USA seem to be sort of a "Ghost Brigade". Every time I contact someone who was trained, they rarely did anything, and when they did, a civilian could have done it with an officer minding them.
Now, full-on military is another matter...
PJ's, hoo-ah!

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
When I went through tactical medic school at ISTM there were 2 MD's from Colorado that were going to work on teams

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Thats for the touchy Feely tactical medic types

mycrofft

Palpation and percussion are valuable diagnostic procedures, but I think they can be dispensed with since you will be tying on battle dressings with your teeth while furnishing suppressive fire.:glare:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I was wondering, do they do the same thing around the Colorado state? Or do they just pull in Police to train as EMT's?

I know of several area in Colorado where an ambulance service provides medics to the local SWAT teams. They give these medics additional training in tactical medicine and movements and they are on call for SWAT assignments but are otherwise working a regular truck. They are trained to operate in "warm" zone, though I am aware of some that do carry weapons on deployments.

In Colorado Springs one engine company is designated as a TEMS company, and all assigned there when through CONTOMS. They respond with the police and sheriff's office when requested in a big white van set up as a rudimentary ambulance and equipment hauler.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
FWIW our TEMS medics operate in the warm and hot zone however are unarmed, maybe a sidearm, if they're lucky, under direct cover from SWAT operators.

We have a team of 8 TEMS medics. All have TCCC and a STORM class as a base then do monthly trainings with the SWAT Teams as well as TEMS Team trainings.

mycrofft

Translation please:huh:

mycrofft