Student interested in EMS/ trauma kit help

nickguitar800

Forum Ride Along
Hello, I am a student interested in the EMS field; I don't have any EMT/ EMS certifications but I do have several entry level certifications such as life-guarding, professional rescuer CPR, emergency O2 ect.

I recently acquired a trauma kit that was "fully stocked," with the following items:

Tools/ stock gear:
1 bandage scissors
1 Kelly forceps
x2 Mylar rescue blanket
1 CPR shield
1 pen light
1 Emergency airway kit (assorted sizes)
1 wire splint (I added a SAM splint to replace this)
1 cold compress
1 Bite stick
1 instant glucose (diabetic emergencies)
1 burn dressing 2" X 2"
Burn dressing 4" x"4

Bandages: '
Sterile:
16 4" x 4" gauze
2 gauze roll 2"
2 gauze roll 3"
2 gauze roll 6"
(I added extra sterile dressings too)

Other dressings:
2 bag assorted flex bandages
4 triangular bandages 40"x40"
4 oval eye pad
6 surgipad dressing 5" x 9"
4 bee sing pads
2 non stick cloth tape 1" x 10 Yds.
ABD pads

Other: Ammonia inhalant
10 alcohol prep pads
10 povodinne Iodine prep pads
assorted band aids
sterile vinyl gloves (I think they're sterile, I probably won't use them because I prefer nitrite gloves)

I added the following:
extra rolled gauze and medical tape
BP cuff and stethoscope ( I taught myself how to measure BP)
Black diamond spot headlamp and spare batteries
Nitrate gloves (4 pair plus a whole box in my trunk)
adult and infant one way resuscitation masks (I have two adult masks total in my kit; the spare is for another rescuer)
Assorted ace bandages
1 sam splint (I want to buy 1-2 more of these)
hydrogen peroxide spray
finger splints
1 litire of water
cotton balls
extra cold compress
Sterile closure strips

There are some other items but that is most of what I have. I know that you can never get a "perfect," first aid kit but I would like some suggestions for what else I should add. I want a trauma kit that's focused on injuries that I might encounter while driving or just "everyday," type things as well as other things that would be good to have and maybe some major trauma that I *might* encounter I would also like some suggestions on the best way to organize everything (like baggies, rubber bands?) and other suggestions related to trauma/ emergency kits. Thanks in advance! I would love your insights!

VinBin

Forum Captain
I admire your enthusiasm and don't want to sound cynical or jaded but what you have is probably more than enough for anything you could even remotely "encounter" as a civilian in everyday life.

Also, there is an old saying that I've heard several times that the amount of items you carry (on your belt/body or otherwise) as an EMS provider is inversely related to your experience.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Now all you need is a light bar for the truck!
kidding.

I agree with @VinBin . All I got is my CPR mask and a pair or two of nitrILE gloves in the glove box in case things are gooey. Anything short of CPR I limit my involvement to calling 911.

Commercial first aid kit is in my pack for when I go backpacking. But thats for me and my wife.

Your enthusiasm is noted, but would you know in what situation you would want to use oral glucose in? Whats the iodine for? And what about that bite stick?

Lugging all that gear around without appropriate training is 1)asking for trouble (if you have it you're going to want to use it and insert yourself into situations) and 2)make you look like a whacker in the eyes of future employers and bystanders. If I were you I would volunteer with the county SAR where you can learn to use that stuff, have an avenue to focus your energy, and meet like-minded individuals who can help you learn how to be an efficient rescuer.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
You should pick up an auto external defibrillator for only a few thousand dollars, a welch allen laryngscope set for about a thousand...from there I'd start looking at light aircraft and radio systems to purchase

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
He has a better trauma bag than I did when I was working BLS IFT.

PeacefulIce

Forum Probie
Wow. You're prepared!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If you haven't figured it out, most of us feel that a BLS "boo-boo bag" for private vehicle use is overkill. A few Band-Aids, maybe a pair of gloves and a cell phone is really all you'll need.

samiam

Amazing Member
Steak knife for a field cric. But seriously I say you are looking pretty good for personal use. Throw in some otc meds for personal use. Asa benadryl motrin etc.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief

Sunburn

Forum Crew Member
I'm assuming it's oropharyngeal airways. Highly doubt he packs a laryngoscope with assorted trach tubes :p
OP you are overprepared :) Compliments on enthusiasm but you will never ever need 80% of that stuff. Unless you are right behind a bus that drives into a tree. Then by all means be proud :p

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't have any advice regarding what else you could possibly want in your bag.. The only advice I can give you is Do not tell anyone in EMS or medicine in general that you even own all that stuff, none the less have it in your car. It's not something they will ever let go of.

A guy I knew bought a bunch of OPAs on Google and misc things for his car and co-workers were looking into buying him EKG style pin stripes to put down the side of his jeep. and they did get him with a big EMS rear windshield decal and a star of life antennae topper.

JosephDurham

Forum Crew Member
That is quite an assortment you have there. I would suggest you be careful with what you carry around an spend your money on. You need to remember that there is a lot of equipment/ supplies that has expiration dates. Gloves will dry rot, medicine will expire, alcohol pads will dry out, et cetera. So if you're not really using the supplies then you'll be left with a pile of out of date supplies.

Just my opinion,

Joseph