Student interested in EMS/ trauma kit help

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
that bag is crap, it doesn't come with a fluoroscope OR a generator!

OP
OP
N

nickguitar800

Forum Ride Along
Okay, thank you for all the advice; I didn't know that my bag is so overkill. I didn't buy everything to be cool or something like that, I just enjoy helping people and I really want to be prepared. I really hope that I never have to use any of my stuff but if I do then I want to be prepared. I also forgot to mention that I do lots of scouting and camping where EMS is at least 40+ minutes away (my back-country kit is much smaller, this kit is more for like summer-camp use), so that is mainly the purpose of my kit, it's probably still overkill but I really had no idea. I am planning on taking more training to learn how to use my stuff and I am already signed up for a red cross wilderness and remote first aid class this spring. My "emergency airway kit," is oropharyngeal airways. I am actually trained to use those. I wouldn't waist money on a laryngoscope or Magill forceps because I would cause more harm than good. I'm sorry that I came off the way I did, I was just looking for advice.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Okay, thank you for all the advice; I didn't know that my bag is so overkill. I didn't buy everything to be cool or something like that, I just enjoy helping people and I really want to be prepared. I really hope that I never have to use any of my stuff but if I do then I want to be prepared. I also forgot to mention that I do lots of scouting and camping where EMS is at least 40+ minutes away (my back-country kit is much smaller, this kit is more for like summer-camp use), so that is mainly the purpose of my kit, it's probably still overkill but I really had no idea. I am planning on taking more training to learn how to use my stuff and I am already signed up for a red cross wilderness and remote first aid class this spring. My "emergency airway kit," is oropharyngeal airways. I am actually trained to use those. I wouldn't waist money on a laryngoscope or Magill forceps because I would cause more harm than good. I'm sorry that I came off the way I did, I was just looking for advice.
We're not trying to put you down Nick. Hopefully we don't come across as too critical, but I think most people are just trying to point out the reality of pre-hospital care as a bystander. The more you learn and work the more you'll back off this POV/private citizen response stuff. Helping someone you see in need is all well and good, but in truth the most you should ever need is the ability to do CPR, control bleeding, and call 911. Wilderness areas can be slightly different, but everyday life probably just requires gloves and a cell phone.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain

It is just a bit of fun and it is cool you have responded the way you have. There is nothing wrong with being prepared and somewhat keen. How about using that money for an actual EMT course or paramedic?

Ewok Jerky

PA-C

Dont let this rub you the wrong way, we are just having fun. What chaz said is true. Stick around and dont be afraid to ask questions, we are actually a nice bunch.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
We didn't mean to make fun of you or your mindset. The main thing is, the 300 kinds of bandages in your kit will be useless in a real emergency. I totally understand the preparedness mindset, however. This is a small trauma kit that i take to the gun range. I keep it in my range bag in the event of a negligent discharge injury, as it contains the very bare necessities necessary to stop bleeding until ems shows up. http://emtlife.com/threads/another-look-at-my-crap-thread.39420/#post-545316 Anything more than this would be overkill.

JosephDurham

Forum Crew Member
I wouldn't waist money on a laryngoscope or Magill forceps because I would cause more harm than good. I'm sorry that I came off the way I did, I was just looking for advice.

Nick, I have great tool you may want to look into buying. I carry it daily, it's like the American Express card, never ever ever leave home without it. Look into buying the LEATHERMAN RAPTOR. You wanna talk about a necessity, there it is buddy.

Keep your chin up, and don't give up your passion!!

Joseph

samiam

Amazing Member
Nick, I have great tool you may want to look into buying. I carry it daily, it's like the American Express card, never ever ever leave home without it. Look into buying the LEATHERMAN RAPTOR. You wanna talk about a necessity, there it is buddy.

Keep your chin up, and don't give up your passion!!

Joseph

What Joseph said!

In addition to being a handy tool you can use it to remove a piece of steak from a guys throat and if that does not work you can cric him with it*

*I do not recommend either of these and it may void the warrenty

Sunburn

Forum Crew Member
What they said. Your enthusiasm is commendable. Don't take any of them, or even me seriously. We are all a tad jaded by what we've seen and we have all seen bystanders do stupid stuff by trying to help. But with your will and desire to be an EMT you will do more than okay if you get some training and commit to it, just go for it.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Any and all specific advice from me about how you should stock a bag like that should be instantly discarded... because my advice comes from years of customizing first aid kits/bags to the needs that I have at the time that I build the bag and the general purpose that the bag is to be used for. I come from a Lifeguard/sports med/EMT/Paramedic/RN (in that order by the way) background. Sometimes a bag that's "overkill" stocked is quite appropriate. Sometimes all you need is a very small kit with a couple rolls of tape, gauze pads, and some gloves. My sports med bags are packed very differently than a kit for my car, or camping, or how I'd set up a "go bag" for an ambulance.

In general terms, you should consider the likely injuries and illnesses you'll likely see and look at your supplies and see what supplies you can use for multiple things. This way you can pare things down to relatively simple things that are very reliable that you know very well.

My own first aid kits aren't all that well stocked from a "tools" perspective, but they're very well set up to allow me to deal with some very common issues and injuries. The rule is pretty true: the more experience you have, the less "stuff" you carry. What you carry are those items that have a purpose and don't clutter your kit.

The most important thing you can bring with you is your brain. Seriously.

EMTIsee

Forum Crew Member
You forgot the bonensaw, blow torch ,and suture kit. No i'm only playing you seem good to go!

cjclrkk

Forum Ride Along
without proper training you wont be able to properly use most of the stuff you have espc. if you pull up on an MVA. I personally have a large jump bag in my truck but it doesnt come out unless someone is dying, if theyre not dying ill just call 911 and wait for the bus because im not wasteing my stuff on someone i dont know. the only time my equipment gets used is if a friend of mine gets injured and im transporting to the ED.