Strobe Emergency Lights on off duty car?

shadowstewie

Forum Probie
I became a Nationally Registered EMT a couple months ago and I was wondering if it's illegal or not to have strobe lights for your own personal off duty car/truck/suv for emergency situations that you come across off duty. Please take my question serious, I have a strong feeling that it's not legal but I've seen a lot of people on videos who are EMT's and Paramedics who install it in their personal off duty car and say they can because they are Registered EMT's/Paramedics. Is it illegal to do this? Just strobe lights, no sirens or anything and it would be used only in emergency situations. Thank you.

MrRevesz

Forum Crew Member
Depending on your state and department guidelines, it can be legal to install an emergency warning light, and in some places, a siren.

As for being recommended or needed? Not at all. Half the time it isn't needed on the ambulance. This will probably be the nicest response to the question.

OP
OP
S

shadowstewie

Forum Probie
Okay, and it wouldn't be used as a transporting vehicle. It would be used like your main standard Hazard Lights, but them being more viewable for the public so people around you know there was an accident or critical situation.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Isn't that what the emergency lights on police cruisers, ambulances, medic units, and fire apparatus are for?

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Check with your local EMS agency. We cannot answer your question unless we know what state you are located in, and even then, there are interesting rules in the states that allow this as to who and why, what color and how many, etc. Even if you are allowed to, many here including myself will recommend against it for a variety of reasons which may be found using the search function. Leave the lights and sirens to the real emergency vehicles, and when off of work, try to be yourself instead of always on the job.

I have a feeling this might also be a troll post. Proceed with caution.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Another hat tip to Mr. Conspiracy.

I'm shopping for a lightbar for my POV. Any recommendations?

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=833 The definition of "whacker".
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=11443 Differing opinions on lights for POVs, and why you shouldn't start another thread.
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=11420 This thread deals more generally with the use of sirens and code 3 driving.
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=3035 Rid shares his opinion on POV lights
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=5240 Fatalities related to speeding in a POV.
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=6905 15 additional pages of this argument.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
In Suffolk County New York it has nothing to with your status as an EMT but more your membership as an rescue services volunteer be it firefighter, EMT, whatever you are allowed to put a light on your car. You have to get to the scene station somehow.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You have to get to the scene station somehow.

Walk, pedal or drive as normal citizens has been working for a centuries now. Lights & sirens does not increase your response time, better yet have pople at the station all the time.

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
In Suffolk County New York it has nothing to with your status as an EMT but more your membership as an rescue services volunteer be it firefighter, EMT, whatever you are allowed to put a light on your car. You have to get to the scene station somehow.
How does your green light get you to ther scene?

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Absolutely illegal in California to have lights or sirens in your vehicle. This applies to volunteers as well.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
firecoins,
Out on my end of the island we use blues as most departments are fire/rescue. I'm sure department and district policies vary but in my dept. you can respond to the scene if going to the station would require you to bypass scene. Emt's are also issued their own portables so you can communicate from scene.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Walk, pedal or drive as normal citizens has been working for a centuries now. Lights & sirens does not increase your response time, better yet have pople at the station all the time.

R/r 911

That would be optimal but as we are a small volunteer dept. with an even smaller amount of EMT's 24 hr staffing is not really feasible. The blue light thing seems to be working pretty well as some people actually yield the right of way and our response time is better then average for Suffolk County New York.

medic417

The Truth Provider
That would be optimal but as we are a small volunteer dept. with an even smaller amount of EMT's 24 hr staffing is not really feasible. The blue light thing seems to be working pretty well as some people actually yield the right of way and our response time is better then average for Suffolk County New York.

Sounds like time to go paid so your ambulance can be staffed properly 24/7.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Great idea but volunteer fire and rescue is a Long Island , New York tradition. And you'd have to work about 80 hours a week to make ends meet as the county pays EMT-P's about $44,000 a year to start which isn't much when you look at the average rent, car insurance prices, etc. . The PD out here starts at $75,000 , so that might give you an idea about the cost of living in one of the costliest counties in the U.S. , besides for the size of the area we cover the system works.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Great idea but volunteer fire and rescue is a Long Island , New York tradition. And you'd have to work about 80 hours a week to make ends meet as the county pays EMT-P's about $44,000 a year to start which isn't much when you look at the average rent, car insurance prices, etc. . The PD out here starts at $75,000 , so that might give you an idea about the cost of living in one of the costliest counties in the U.S. , besides for the size of the area we cover the system works.

And that is the problem with EMS we base everything on tradition.

As to pay thats what negotiating is for.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
That rate is through civil service, so it has already been negotiated. I worked as a Nurse for the county great retirement, good benefits, I'd still be there but couldn't wait to go through all the steps until I got to a good pay rate.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Depending on your state and department guidelines, it can be legal to install an emergency warning light, and in some places, a siren.

As for being recommended or needed? Not at all. Half the time it isn't needed on the ambulance. This will probably be the nicest response to the question.

What he said. Even in the most rural of areas, there is little reason to go L&S in a personal vehicle.

Hockey

Quackers
Heres a clue for OP and any other future posters regarding vehicle laws in Cali

If you aren't sure if its legal, most likely it isn't. Especially in Cali, everything is illegal

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Absolutely Not

I became a Nationally Registered EMT a couple months ago and I was wondering if it's illegal or not to have strobe lights for your own personal off duty car/truck/suv for emergency situations that you come across off duty.

1. You still need a state license to provide care at an EMT level. National Registry does not give you authoriti to practice as an EMT.
  2. Unless you are ambulance chasing, you rarely come across such situations to justify a light
  3. By having a light, you may risk your status as a good Samaritan in those situations
  4. If you want to see strobe lights, get a job as an EMT with an ambulance service