Started Class Today

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Well I started my medic today :D We didnt do anything today, but it was fun to catch up with some friends from my Basic class.

Our class has 26 people in it, but only 5 are girls :( comapred to over half being female in the basic class. Nothing wrong with only 5 girls, except my classes are the only time I get to interact with human beings ;)

We start doing IV and Intubation tomorrow :rolleyes: Can't wait. And we start our clinicals in two weeks :rolleyes: Fun :rolleyes:

Well wish me luck. Ill let yall know how class goes, and how the job thingy goes.

Oh yeah, and the textbook the bookstore gave me is the wrong edition !!! Somehow it only happed to a few of us, everyone else went to an off campus bookstore. And they wont get the correct books in until next week !!!! So my reading for tonight.... not gonna get done ;)

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Congrats, Keep us updated on how it's going!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Sounds fun. Keep us updated on how it goes.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Chances are your textbook is very similar, it might benefit you to read it anyway.

And be careful with the 5 girls, medic classes tend to become very soap opera-ey and share romances with all of the students. ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Aug 23 2005, 07:58 AM
Chances are your textbook is very similar, it might benefit you to read it anyway.

And be careful with the 5 girls, medic classes tend to become very soap opera-ey and share romances with all of the students. ;)
uhh... YEP!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Aug 23 2005, 07:58 AM
And be careful with the 5 girls.... share romances with all of the students. ;)
I think that's what he's hoping for. :lol:

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
IVs and intubations off the bat! Dang, thats definitely moving forward. Too bad my state doesnt recognize EMT-Is anymore., otherwise Id do it. For right now Im saving up for ALS courses, and hopefully I'll get enrolled in the spring given that I pass my entrance exam. ;)

-Cap'nPanic

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
Your classs ounds much more organized than mine, been in it for 9 months and JUST started clinicals. Luckily, they are letting us DCEMS folks (there are 4 of us out of 13) do 150 hours worth of time while we are at work as long as we are with an approved preceptor. I cant wait for this class to be over!!!

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
We have to start IVs and Intuabtion right off the bat because they want us to start our clinical about 2 weeks into the program. The program is an intermediate/medic program. After the 1st semester you can test at the EMT-I level, but now many do. You also have to realize that about 3/4 of our class just finished their Basic course over the summer. So there will only actually be about a 1/4 of us that will be able to start clinicals on time since you must be an EMT-B before you can start the EMT-I / EMT-P clinicals.

The class is fast paced in a sense, but that the same time, for EMT-B to EMT-P the whole program is 2 1/2 yrs. and take 1 semester off if you dont want a degree. Seems like a long time, but I really like it. Most programs in this area are 6 weeks for basic, and 6-9 months for medic. So I value the extra time that we get. I think it will make all of us much better medics and EMTs compared to the other programs in this part of the state.

I wasn't actually looking for the soap opera part of the class, but hey.... I take the punches as they come. But with 5 girls, there aren't many punches ;) And for about 3 of the girls, I wouldn't even bother... I would just duck and let the punch pass over me :D

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
The medic class here just started too. The Deputy chief on my squad is the instructor and 2 of our members are taking the glass. He's going to take me to a few classes to be a patient (Which I got suckered into last night for skills review) and to be the second emt. I think its going to be great.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
I always loved being the patients.. well except for this week... we are starting IVs on each other, and giving shot to each other via IM. But its not that bad. I have learned in the past that you can learn so much more by being the patient... u get to see everything that is going on, and your not nervous.

Good luck with your medic class... How long is your class? Ours is 2 yrs, and this semester we meet
M/W 1:30-6:00
T/TH 3:00-8:00

Nikki320

Forum Probie
Hey man good luck! I started my medic program last june 28th and we finish our class room jan 27. We then go into our clinicals at a hospital for 160 hours and then do a field internship on a rig for 480-720 hrs. Lol, our class started with 30 students 6 girls and 24 guys, now we are down to 5 girls and 21 guys. I am loving it! Well have fun! Study hard, i am so happy we only have 5 more drugs to memorize, those things are so hard to memorize especially since i won't even use half of the ones we are learning in the field!

medicstudentchris

Forum Ride Along
Just started my medic class too... We also are learning IV's and Intubation right off the bat so that we can start clinicals. We are also going very very fast paced, 1yr. from basic to medic as my state doesn't even recognize EMT-I's anymore. Hope I can keep up. Good luck to you in your class.

Chris

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks... yeah.. our class is very quick as well.. but I am also going for a degree since I wanna fly someday, so I am looking at 2 yrs from basic to medic.

GOOD LUCK

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
good luck, all

Jon