Start school in Jan 2008

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
Hi everyone

I start EMT school in January and excited and scared to death. Any words of wisdom....i can use all the help I can get.

thanks

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If it is Basic EMT, don't sweat it too much. Take notes, read the assignments, and practice as much as possible.

Good luck!

R/r 911

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
thanks so much. Yes, its EMT-B I want this so bad. I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
Thanks!! I just don't know what to expected....what's a main thing I should focus on. Anything I can start reading in advance to be a little ahead of myself.

I'll keep ya posted

Thanks

Donna

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
If you want to start reading in advance, then I recommend that you start studying medical terminology. Also, if you have the time and inclination, I would recommend that you also study Anatomy and Physiology (A&P). This will give you a good background for your classes, whether or not you continue on past the basic level.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Have you taken any First Aid or CPR classes before?

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
Thanks I'll do that....

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
Yes, I'm BLS CPR/AED certifed through AHA....and I getting certified BLS by The Red Cross through work too...not sure if there's difference, but I do it for a refresher.... its free LOL

Why do you ask???

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
It's a requirement for EMT-B classes. They don't really teach you CPR, they just expect you to know it already. One of the practical exam stations is CPR and AED, so they'll review it and correct your technique, but if you don't know it coming in then you're already behind.

I would reccomend learning A&P, like ffemt said. Especially positions and some of the terminology, such as distal/proximal, anterior/posterior, superior/inferior, and the lines the separate the body- midline, midclavicular, midaxillary, transverse, etc.

That'll all just give you a leg up and hopefully cut stress a little.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'd find out what book the course is using and start doing some of the basic memorization.

Parts of the body (A&P), baseline vitals, medical terminology, and anything else that will help give you that "I remember this" feeling when you actually learn it in class. Even if you only read ten minutes a night, it will do wonders.

Keep us updated!

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
I asked around...one of the guys going for his emt-b that's on the firehouse said that they are changing books in January....would it matter that much what text i looked at. Thanks

Everyone is great here...I appreciated all the support I def will keep everyone posted.

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
LOL...funny you said that about the anatomic terms and body reference planes, I'm already confusing myself...yes I'm blonde, but a smart one...just stuck in stupid at the moment---

thanks again

siefersl

Forum Probie
In my experience the books all say the same thing just have a different way of saying it. Like everyone said terminology helps. I took the class as a senior in HS so what helped me was i had taken HS A&P the previous year. IT HELPED A LOT!!!!! Good luck with the class. Don't sweat but be prepared to get to know your class mates REAL WELL. As they will get to know you quite well too. LOL.

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
thanks...everyone here is making me feel so much better and I will keep everyone update. I'm glad I can have such a great support system with ppl all over the place......I'm getting more and more excited to start

TheDoll

Forum Captain
for me, the hardest part about taking the course wasn't reading and taking the tests. it was the hands on portion. it seemed to take me awhile to get into the swing of being around patients and touching and dealing with them. that also happens to be...THE JOB OF AN EMT:D! so, if you can, i would arm yourself with a bp cuff and stethiscope and start taking blood pressures and listening to breath sounds on people (preferably people you know--you'll have plenty of time to do this to strangers:p). also, if you can volunteer in an er or on a floor in a hospital, i would do that. good luck! i'm sure you'll do great. it's not that hard, but you have to keep up. oh, and for crying out loud, show up to class! :)

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
I found a A&P book yesterday that completely awesome...I read a few chapters already...thanks ago. I having a hard time finding a medical term. book and suggestions!!

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
thanks. I have a bP cuff and stethoscope and just have to remind myself how do it again. I'm having trouble with the bottom number. My husband is the worst pt. LOL Breath sounds how am I going to do that? I dont know all the different sounds.

I like hands on I always like that part...reading is okay, but that's why I want to start reading earlier so I'm two steps ahead, but not to much ahead.

thanks for the support

firecoins

IFT Puppet
bp? Put the cuff around the bicep. Put the scope on CORRECTLY . pump up the scope. When you hear the pulse, thats your top number. When the pulse stops, thats you bottom number.

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
thanks I got it...need practice

to everyone that knows about my cpr ordeal.....I got a 90 on the test, I forgot to answer a question....whoo hoo!!