sport for fitness

randy56

Forum Ride Along
Let me ask a question from all of you what do you think which sport is best for gaining body health and fitness..??
I think swimming and football are best. Please share your experience.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I've always been told that swimming was good for building up your lung capacity and endurance. As a kid with asthma, swimming was recommended.

Why do you feel that football is the best?

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
I've always been told that swimming was good for building up your lung capacity and endurance. As a kid with asthma, swimming was recommended.

Why do you feel that football is the best?
I always liked football because I see it as an extended session of interval training.
You go as hard as you can for 7 seconds then take a break for 30 for an hour if you with both sides of the line.

I also think soccer (futbol) is a amazing fitness sport.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
For overall fitness, it's hard to beat swimming. It really is. The thing is that you have to be in the pool doing actual laps... Here's something that must be considered any time you're looking for a fitness program: what do you consider "fit"?? That's the real question that needs to be asked. Swimming is great, but it doesn't develop really explosive power. Determine what kind of fitness you desire and then you can more easily find a sport or activity that meets that need.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Indoor rower is the best bang for your buck: full body, low impact, is as intense as you make it, can be done solo and equipment takes up a small footprint.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
boxing covers pretty much everything to an exceptional degree other than putting on mass, and you don't need to trade punches to train in it

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
Gym, Cycling (including to work) and Tennis; Soccer was great until I moved, just need to get back in a club/league.

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with swimming
10 min of swimming goes a lot further than 10 min of running. Plus I like having big strong looking shoulders and chest from swimming.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Rock climbing. Takes a ton of upper body strength.

It's also fun.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
I barrel race and trail ride with my horse. A lot of people think riding a horse you just sit there but that's not the case at all. You are working your core, legs and arms the whole time. If you are wanting to do something different besides the typical(nothing wrong with those) sports take some riding lessons. It's great for the soul and great for your body.

Summit

Critical Crazy
XC skiing (particularly skate) pretty much takes the cake... there is little that compares for a full body extended aerobic and anerobic workout... core and arms get worked as hard as the legs.

For extra fun, biathalon!

Football is extraordinarily hard on the joints and brain.

I barrel race and trail ride with my horse. A lot of people think riding a horse you just sit there but that's not the case at all. You are working your core, legs and arms the whole time. If you are wanting to do something different besides the typical(nothing wrong with those) sports take some riding lessons. It's great for the soul and great for your body.
Similar arguments for dirt biking and downhill biking for people who dont have the money and land to own a horse.

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
I don't think there's a silver bullet 'sport' that can cover all bases. I enjoy doing Taekwondo, but I think you could get the same benefit from most martial arts. The focus on flexibility and core strength in many martial arts can be applied to many other areas. And by no means are martial arts unique in that aspect, it's just something I enjoy.

I like running for my cardio, but I've started to mix cycling in too.