Silent Intercom?

jwilbz03

Forum Probie
Instructor asking us for extra credit if we can find out what the silent intercom is used for in the ambulance. I can't locate much via internet, anyone?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
My sense is that in larger ambulances it's a way for the driver to hear what's going on in the back of the truck.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
http://tinyurl.com/4d26tbr

first hit...

SILENT INTERCOM
A silent intercom is a system of 3 lights and a beeper used by an EMT/Paramedic to
advise the driver about the patient’s condition without altering or scaring the patient or their
friend or family member, who may be riding along. The display includes a beeper for the EMT
to advise the driver of a change in status. Historically the code is as follows:
Green---proceed normally
Amber--slow down because the ride is too bumpy
Red------pull over to the right and stop as soon as safe to do so

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

first hit...

SILENT INTERCOM
A silent intercom is a system of 3 lights and a beeper used by an EMT/Paramedic to
advise the driver about the patient’s condition without altering or scaring the patient or their
friend or family member, who may be riding along. The display includes a beeper for the EMT
to advise the driver of a change in status. Historically the code is as follows:
Green---proceed normally

We have that in our Horton panel rig... It sucks. It's an obnoxiously loud beeping.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Heh, so that's what those are called... I've never actually used one in my three years working a bus.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Heh, so that's what those are called... I've never actually used one in my three years working a bus.

I haven't either, but a patient has! She was a walker, sat in the airway chair, and discovered the buttons... the buzzer scared the crap out of our driver!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Had them in our oldest units...in Bedrock (1977)

.............;)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I once worked in a 1983 Stoner ambulance... it had the silent intercom installed. I think it had also been installed in a couple of 1987 Wheeled Coach units we'd had on hand too. The Stoner was the only gasoline powered ambulance in our fleet. Thank GOD nobody thought to put a turbo on it... the darned thing was fast enough as it was!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

first hit...

SILENT INTERCOM
Green---proceed normally

Thank you for clarifying! I've always wondered about those...

feldy

Forum Captain
we have them in our old truck and the buzzer...never used them before.

We have a real intercom from the front to the back in the newer trucks since the cab is a little bigger..we do use those to shout the milage or just random stuff at each other...or play music in the back when we have a third rider.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I've never worked in a truck that has the lights and buzzer. Doubt I would even use it if I had it.

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
All of the rigs I have worked on until this most recent round of purchases had those I always wondered what they were for however I never bothered to ask and I never new...cool beans.

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
We use them as an indicator to alert to a change in immediacy.

Green- no code, nice and easy.

Yellow- No code, but a diesel bolus is indicated.

Red- Add some lights make some music, get me there right now.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
they are by far the biggest waste of electricity in the entire ambulance never used one in 10 years, have no plans to

dmc2007

Forum Captain
We have them in our Lifeline (our PL might have it as well). I've never seen it used, nor has anyone I've ever discussed them with.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I've worked in a few that have had the silent intercom. Like others, I've never legitimately used them (however working with newbies who are unfamiliar with the system...).

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
I actually just posted about this feature in the thread a few weeks ago about re-designed ambulances. It's a good idea in theory, I guess, but in our Horton boxes the "Silent Intercom" is ANYTHING but silent. A horrendously loud klaxon goes off which inevitably draws more attention from the Pt/SigOth than a more discrete verbal cue would.