Should I take the plunge

danderson900

Forum Ride Along
I'm a 52 year old civil engineer getting ready to retire. I really like the idea of working as an EMT. (I've been sitting in a cubicle the last 30 years). The local comm. college offers an EMT-B contin. ed class. I've got 2 questions:
1. Is 52 too old to get started in this buisness?
2. How difficult is it adjusting to 12 hr night shifts or 24 hr shifts sleep-wise?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm a 52 year old civil engineer getting ready to retire. I really like the idea of working as an EMT. (I've been sitting in a cubicle the last 30 years). The local comm. college offers an EMT-B contin. ed class. I've got 2 questions:
1. Is 52 too old to get started in this buisness?
2. How difficult is it adjusting to 12 hr night shifts or 24 hr shifts sleep-wise?

Sure! Go for it. 12's I hate..24's I love but, that part is a personal choice.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
52 isn't too old... your only as old as you feel, right... if you want it go for it. I prefer 24's over 12's... but 12's aren't too bad either.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Seems I've seen the same question on other sites by you. Welcome to the site. Age doesn't matter if you can physically/mentally do the job you will be ok. As to shifts depends on how busy a service is as to how the hours will affect you.

wvditchdoc

Forum Crew Member
I say go for it, if it's what you want to do then do it!

Good Luck!

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
There's a book you might want to read called 'Ambulance Girl' written by a woman who became an EMT when she was your age. She does it as a volunteer though, but she's been an EMT now for about 10 years. I am not an EMT (yet) but I am 43 and am looking to do it volunteer as well and maybe do it as a job 10 years from now when I will hopefully be retiring from my full-time job. Go for it!

medic417

The Truth Provider
There's a book you might want to read called 'Ambulance Girl' written by a woman who became an EMT when she was your age. She does it as a volunteer though, but she's been an EMT now for about 10 years. I am not an EMT (yet) but I am 43 and am looking to do it volunteer as well and maybe do it as a job 10 years from now when I will hopefully be retiring from my full-time job. Go for it!

IMHO worst book ever. She was the ultimate whacker. Should be required reading for what not to do.

medic417

The Truth Provider
You are just jealous of the way she tricked out her POV with that Star of Life.

I was just disappointed that she didn't get a huge star of life tat on her face. :p

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
One of my last year's MFR students is a 62 year old school adminstrator. In fact, none of the 12 women were under 30 and most over 40. The group teachers/para-professionals took an MFR course with an additional focus on Peds in order to provide better emergency response within their schools. It is by far the most rewarding class I've ever been involved with. It's a pilot program that the creators are hoping will catch on.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
What do you mean? I'm a newbie so I'd like to know what she did wrong so I make sure not to do the same thing.

A whacker is one of those obnoxious people that thinks an EMT (or first responder, or medic, or whatever) cert makes them the anointed savior of all mankind. You can generally spot them by the star of life keychain, bumper sticker, t-shirt, gym bag, coffee mug, and so on. They're the kind of people who will stop to help at accident scenes that are completely under control, tell a responding crew what they should be doing, wear their uniforms off-duty, and the like. Nobody likes them.

For the original questions... I don't think you're too old. I've seen people older than you when they started, and they do fine. As long as you're in sufficient shape, it should be alright.

As for sleep, 12s vs. 24s really depends on the job and person. I personally prefer 12s. I need more sleep than the average person, and find that 12s are easier to work into my crazy patchwork schedule of part-time jobs and classes.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I know plenty of EMT's and Paramedics still on the streets over 50. If you're in shape, go for it. And if you're not, still go for it but start getting into shape :)

Places that do 24's or more generally let you sleep, well they have to. It's usually state law that if you work over X hours you have to have quarters and are allowed to sleep (as long as runs aren't coming in back to back)

SOME places even let you sleep on 12's, it just depends on the company and call volume.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
If it's what you want, go for it. Keep in mind, EMS, particularly high call-volume 911, is a young person's sport. My boss is about your age, been a paramedic for decades, but retired after his second MI (still does the rare 911). If you think you're physically up to it, then godspeed!

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
A whacker is one of those obnoxious people that thinks an EMT (or first responder, or medic, or whatever) cert makes them the anointed savior of all mankind. You can generally spot them by the star of life keychain, bumper sticker, t-shirt, gym bag, coffee mug, and so on.

Hey I got a star of life key chain. The only reason I have it is it was free. As for having Tshirts, gym bag and coffee mugs members of the local RCMP detachment wear them are they wacker being full time LEO's. Then again the members in question just graduated from depot. I've seen the members wear tshirts with all the members of their depot troop.

The only EMS t shirt I have is issued to me.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Hey I got a star of life key chain. The only reason I have it is it was free. As for having Tshirts, gym bag and coffee mugs members of the local RCMP detachment wear them are they wacker being full time LEO's. Then again the members in question just graduated from depot. I've seen the members wear tshirts with all the members of their depot troop.

The only EMS t shirt I have is issued to me.

If they're all doing it for some good reason, not a whacker. If they're all doing it off-duty to show off, then they're whackers.

Just one keychain or whatever isn't a big deal. It's when someone wears the whole kit or something like that constantly, so that every single person they meet can know just how cool they are.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm just happy she didn't get a star of life tattoo'd on her face that was bigger than mine. :p

Knew it, ultimate whacker. You know, because the word "Whack" is in "Whacker" we should be able to Whack them without going to jail for battery. ^_^

:p

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I happen to have several T-shirts... some of which say "EMT" and some of which say "Paramedic"... and they're for use as an undershirt for my uniform... and was also authorized as after normal business hours wear, though the normal uniform was preferred.

Just for the record: I do NOT wear them off-duty, except for going to/from an EMS job.

firedog3700

Forum Probie
You want to leave a civil engineering gig for this?

No, 52 is not too old as long as you get the bug. If you don't get it (think about EMS constantly, reading everything, turning around off-duty to see where that siren's going, etc) you might not find it fulfilling. I don't know what kind of shape you are in, but I'd recommend getting in the gym, if nothing else than to build up a little extra muscle.

Best of luck to you.

BTW, after reading all this about being a "whacker," I think I just might be one myself!:p

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
meh... i frequently wear my uniform off duty... but more so because i work 5 days a week and don't feel like changing into street clothes just to go out to dinner before heading home. and occasionally it gets my 1/2 off my meal...

i don't think anyone's ever too old to be an EMT. my paramedic instructor was a 5' nothing, little old lady w/ cerebral palsy. greatest medic ever. like... the yoda of EMS, she was.... im sure some here know who i mean