September 11, 2001 - September 11, 2009: We Remember

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Eight years ago on this day, September 11th, 2,973 people lost their lives in a series of terrorist attacks. During the collapse of the World Trade Center Towers, 343 FDNY rescue workers died, and during the next 24 hours, an additional 240 FDNY rescue workers sought emergency medical treatment.

Police officers, Firefighters, and Medics were among the first to respond to the disasters. Many gave their lives doing what they loved and believed in.

Whether we're in EMS, Firefighting, or any other public service, we have an awesome responsibility, but also the ability to affect others in the most profound manner. To all those who are in public service, I thank you for your dedication to a truly noble profession.

I hope all of you continue to do what you love, and remain safe wherever you may be.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Eight years ago, today, before the scope of the attacks were known, untold THOUSANDS, if not HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of people from Law Enforcement, Fire Service, and EMS all stood ready to answer that call, which for many, fortunately, never came. We, as a Nation, should NEVER FORGET those that answered their last alarm that day.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I will never forget the 343 Firefighters, Paramedics, EMTs, Law Enforcement Officers, and the 1 PAPD Dog (the SAR Geek in me) that gave it all on that day... doing what they loved and had the mental strength to do, despite the fact they they knew that they were likely to make the ultimate sacrafice on the slim chance that they could save even one innocent soul...

roth.ms.600.jpg

God, when I am called to duty, whenever people fall,
Give me the strength to save one life, whatever be the call.

Whether in the water, on foot, or in flight,
Empower me with a portion of your great might,
Help me embrace that small, lost child
or save the injured soul from the wild.

Whether braving this terrifying rivers edge
or hanging off this towering ledge,
Enable me to be alert and hear the weakest shout
to quickly and efficiently bring my brother out.

With my desire to serve, my ability to perform, and the courage to act,
Dear God, allow me to deliver my neighbor safely back.

There are no bounds to which I'll give,
These things I do so that others may live.
And when according to your will, my earthly tasks must end,
Oh my God, please bless with your protecting hand my family and my friends.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicp94dao

Forum Crew Member
Today I cry and mourn for fallen brothers and sisters of that fateful day... I also rejoice in knowing i will forever carry on in there legacy and always pray for the families of the fallin. Never Forget....

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
And let us not forget the non-FDNY*EMS personnel who lost their lives in the attack or as the result of it.

Keith Fairben, EMT-P and Mario Santoro, EMT-P, of New York Presbyterian Hospital. Fairben and Santoro were on 10-David, one of the very first ambulances to respond to and arrive at the World Trade Center attack. Both lost their lives when the towers collapsed and New York Presbyterian Hospital lost seven EMS vehicles.

David P. Lemagne, John Skala, and Robert Cirri, officers for the Port Authority who were paramedics in the state of New Jersey.

Sister Cynthia Mahoney, who spent six months after the attack serving as both an EMT-B and a chaplain and died as a result of the damage to her lungs.

Jean Peterson, RN, EMT-B, and Linda Gronlund, EMT-B, who were both on Flight 93.

Other non-FDNY EMTs and paramedics killed on September 11th, 2001: Mitch Wallace, Richard Pearlman, Mark Schwartz, Marc Sullins, Jeff Simpson, Je Jung, Zhe Zeng, Thomas Jurgens, Glenn Winuk, Maurice Barry, Rodney Gillis, Michael Keifer, Charles Laurencin, Clive Thompson, Kenneth Swenson, and Stephen Huczko, many of whom volunteered either with services outside of New York City or in their younger days and went to Ground Zero to help.

8jimi8

CFRN
NEVER FORGET. Always grateful

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
It made me a little sad to see yesterday, driving around town. No one I saw really had a concern for the day. Many people lost their lives that day, it didnt matter what level you were or what job. When the bell rang and the time was at hand all that was on the mind was saving one life...even if the cost was 300+ FF/EMS/vollies, whatever it took to save 1 person it balanced out.

That is amazing courage I pray to God that it never happens again..but if it does I pray that God gives me that courage to accept what could be my final call.

God bless those who left us, and pray for a healing hand to those still here, who still suffer the unseen wounds. The families and the friends that have to go on with day to day life, missing a piece of their heart.

Thank you all for doing what you do in your areas and across the globe so that I can do what I have to do for my people.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I remember this day like it was only last week, and that will never change.
I said it in another thread, and I'll say it again here: I remember. I will always remember.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Remember Col Cyril "Rick" Rescorla

He cut the casualties by about 3.000.
"Garry Owen", Col.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
That's supposed to be "3,000".

Port Auhtority told his people to sit tight or return to their desks at Dean,Witter. He emptied 'em and rode the building down himself.

Last edited by a moderator: