Self protection question

TropicalJosiah

Forum Probie
Might have been asked before but I couldn't find anything specific. How many of you carry protection (ASP, Baton, etc) and/or wear protection (BP Vests, etc)?

Would be location specific for sure, but non the less for those in higher crime areas.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Our treatment protocols call for 200cc of clipboard administration to combative patients. I've never seen a medic in my area carry or wear any protection but I think it could depend on what type of area you work in.

RailFan77

Forum Crew Member
For those who still carry radios....don't forget a good dose of Motorola Therapy.

:p

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member
I work in the crime capital of the country (it's official!) and I don't carry anything beyond my radio and scissors.

Scout

Para-Noid
Maglite, o ya.

My favorite is this big grey thing that weights about an kilo and a half, bestr weapon for self defence

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
I have a stab resistant vest, but I've never worn it on an ambulance. Only on rides with LEO.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
pm a member here by the name of dt4ems(or read any of his posts reagrding self defens in ems). we arent afforded the same level of authority to defend ourselves from harm as even the average citizen. you go and do something stupid like hit a patient with your clipboard or a sap/baton and your going to find yourself in hot water.

if your concerned about your safety, you need to learn how to properly manage the situation(read a defensive tactics course/martial arts training). blunt object discipline is funny to joke about, but when they're garshing your paychecks for the rest of your life to pay a multi million dollar judgement against you/your company/dept it becomes significantly less funny.

i have a vest that i bought when i transferred to an overnight truck. at that time, the service i was working for was doing a lot of city 911 calls(read: a lot for a private with a semi formal mutaul aid agreement with the municiapl 911 provider). i bought it after a really ugly call me and my partner found ourselves in the middle of in the projects. i think i've worn it twice sine then(over two years ago). if i was working full time urban 911 doing real, right in the middle of it calls, i might wear it every day.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I have a stab resistant vest, but I've never worn it on an ambulance. Only on rides with LEO.

you worried the LEO will stab you? :rolleyes:

I carry Trojans for protection.

SpudCrushr

Forum Crew Member
I think a vest is overkill. I mean, that's going to be super hot in the summer when you're working.. But it really depends on where you run.

OP
OP
T

TropicalJosiah

Forum Probie
Cops wear vest 100% of the time without issue.

Was just curious to see what people on here are doing. Working in south LA vs a "normal" town of course is different.

You got a shoot out in Toys R Us today with 2 people dead. Toys R Us... who packs heat to go toy shopping? Figure you can expand on those two to include a larger mount % wise.

Hard for people to have weapons in water situation. But in the EMT training it's been multiple times re-iterated that safety is first for the crew AND entering dangerous situations is common. Not counting PT's that may be high on PCP, enraged, etc
As a lifegaurd we were trained in how to knock a person out, struggling people in the water will take someone down with them. On the street it's new to me, so just throwing the feelers out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

crayzeeemt

Forum Probie
response

I have a level IIa threat vest, knife, and a big flashlight. I will use those two if I feel I need to. Forget my job, we wanna go home at the end of the night.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Best protection is common sense. Making sure scene safe is really scene safe. To paraphrase the old catholic baltimore catichism... to avoid the near occasion of danger

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
You got a shoot out in Toys R Us today with 2 people dead. Toys R Us... who packs heat to go toy shopping? Figure you can expand on those two to include a larger mount % wise.

I carry a Glock G38 .45GAP for this exact reason. You give me a chance to defend myself and I will, It's my Constitutional right to, but that's not what the OP is posting about.

imurphy

Forum Captain
The guys in my station make fun of me, but at least I'm protected. I don't think it's overkill.....

emsExo.jpg

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
As a lifegaurd we were trained in how to knock a person out, struggling people in the water will take someone down with them. On the street it's new to me, so just throwing the feelers out there.

As a former lifeguard there's no need to knock a struggling swimmer out. Their only goal is to keep their head above water even if it means putting you under. When that happens you intentionally swim underwater and get away, they won't willingly follow you under water. Work on your blocks and escapes and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
T

TropicalJosiah

Forum Probie
As a former lifeguard there's no need to knock a struggling swimmer out. Their only goal is to keep their head above water even if it means putting you under. When that happens you intentionally swim underwater and get away, they won't willingly follow you under water. Work on your blocks and escapes and you'll be fine.

While what you say is a useful tactic, there are numerous training with video of lifeguards being taken down by struggling persons. As well as quite a few documented lifeguard deaths resulting from such situations. Rendering a person unconscious is a very viable alternative, particularly if they are refusing to cooperate in dangerous situations. A quick well placed strike can be very useful.

Grady_emt - I am the OP. And it's exactly what I was asking about. I carry a Ruger LCP myself on occasion, but don't believe my CC covers carrying at work.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Me, I bring my wooden club and Fred's kid BamBam along.

If a cop sees your weapon you may be subject to arrest. In the state of California you certainly are if in a motor vehicle, and that can include a baton, tire knocker, or other potential weapon kept in a place of readiness.

If an assailant takes your weapon away you're jacked, and if he gets within the radius of your gun muzzle and your head, he has you. I seriously, seriously doubt anyone here except law officers and military have the judgement, reflexes, training and "warrior spirit" to do anything but brandish and maybe shoot some loudmouth who poses no serious threat.

Anyone can get a weapon or improvise one. Unless you are some Jedi master or something, and we are talking real life here kids, not a video game, the flat truth is that the person you can neutralize probably doesn't pose you a danger, and the guy who does is going to get you unless you have armed backup...law enforcement.

PS: as a former lifesaver, I would pay you a quarter, paypal, right now, if you show me the American Red Cross materials instructing you how to knock out a victim.

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
PS: as a former lifesaver, I would pay you a quarter, paypal, right now, if you show me the American Red Cross materials instructing you how to knock out a victim.

would you except American heart?