Screen Printing?

Backblast

Forum Crew Member
I'm looking to get "PARAMEDIC" screen printed in 4" or 5" letters on the back of a job shirt, but can't find anywhere locally to get it done without a minimum order or a dozen or so. Does anyone know of anywhere that will do this for a single job shirt or maybe two of them without charging a small fortune?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Might want to try some of the online EMS stores.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I'm looking to get "PARAMEDIC" screen printed in 4" or 5" letters on the back of a job shirt, but can't find anywhere locally to get it done without a minimum order or a dozen or so. Does anyone know of anywhere that will do this for a single job shirt or maybe two of them without charging a small fortune?
As someone who has ordered screen printed items in the past, I know a little bit about this.

To start, the more items you order, the cheaper each item is. similarly, the fewer items you order, the more expensive. Hence the dozen minimum order. This has to do with creating the screen (which can be pricey for one item), as well as setup expenses. So unless you find a company that has a stockpile of jobshirts with PARAMEDIC screened, or an order about to be placed, it will be expensive. Ditto with embroidery, but your more likely to find a place to do a single item (but they are generally more expensive anyway, so it doesn't appear to have that much of a markup).

good luck finding it, but I don't think you will have much luck for a custom single item for cheap.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
We have a place locally (Bay Area, CA) that has the screen ready. I think it is about $10-12.

They use reflective ink. Good deal. PM me if you want the details.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
For one or two items you'll want heat pressed vinyl or a direct to garment (DTG) printer.

Screen printing rarely makes financial sense under a few dozen pieces.

agah

Forum Crew Member
As someone who has ordered screen printed items in the past, I know a little bit about this.

To start, the more items you order, the cheaper each item is. similarly, the fewer items you order, the more expensive. Hence the dozen minimum order. This has to do with creating the screen (which can be pricey for one item), as well as setup expenses. So unless you find a company that has a stockpile of jobshirts with PARAMEDIC screened, or an order about to be placed, it will be expensive. Ditto with embroidery, but your more likely to find a place to do a single item (but they are generally more expensive anyway, so it doesn't appear to have that much of a markup).

good luck finding it, but I don't think you will have much luck for a custom single item for cheap.

Agreed. I sell silk screen printed shirts as a side gig (on ebay starting at 11.99 incl medic and EMT). It's not worth prepping the screen for just one shirt. You may want to check out ebay and see if you find something you like there. Not recommending heat press.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
The other things I forgot to mention is typically screen printing will break down over time (days/months/years) depending on the quality of the work and how often you wash it. typically when it starts to look crappy, you throw it out, and buy a new one. works great for T-shirts, and OK for polo shirts, because these are relatively cheap to replace.

for a job shirt, it might be better to get it embroider it or have a patch sewn on the back, which will last MUCH longer. I know guys that have jobshirts that are 5-10 years old, and still usable (albeit the cuffs start to fray but that's another topic).

agah

Forum Crew Member
I had to get shirts for EMT school as part of the uniform. Very bad quality silk screen printing. It started breaking apart after first wash. Had a conversation with the seller who claimed I didn't know how to do laundry instead of admitting that his work was cheap.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I had to get shirts for EMT school as part of the uniform. Very bad quality silk screen printing. It started breaking apart after first wash. Had a conversation with the seller who claimed I didn't know how to do laundry instead of admitting that his work was cheap.
We have had a lot of issues with our seller. Everything from price to quality to only being able to buy the shirts one time per semester. The list goes on and on and on. However since he does shirts for the fire academy, medic program, and the EMT program we are very unlikely to change :(

agah

Forum Crew Member
We have had a lot of issues with our seller. Everything from price to quality to only being able to buy the shirts one time per semester. The list goes on and on and on. However since he does shirts for the fire academy, medic program, and the EMT program we are very unlikely to change :(

i guess we are talking about the same guy.