Scare Tactics?

buenafortuna

Forum Ride Along
I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced something similar. One of my EMT instructors doesn't have much teaching experience at all and has only been a medic for 5-7 years. Many hours of the class are spent with her using classroom time as a kind of "therapy" for herself, in that she only fills us in on the horrors she has experienced, how little sleep she gets, the trauma and counseling which she has sought, and how much she dislikes medic students because they "think they know everything" and "have no desire to learn" as a result.

She has gone into grand detail about her on-duty injuries and fellow crewmates illnesses, how unsafe a job it is and how hard she is to work with because she is controlling and OCD (self proclaimed), and how she thinks EMT's should do EVERYTHING because the medic has more important things to do.

My classmates are literally on the edge of their seats with eyes bugging out because of the explicit gory details she feels the need to share.

My other two instructors are nothing but encouraging, telling us what to prepare for but also helping us to overcome any apprehensions and assist in accepting the realities that people get hurt and sick. Most importantly, they stay on topic and address what we're actually going to be tested on.

Is this... unusual?

I don't understand why one would want to instruct EMT's if they are going to end up trying to scare the pants off them before they've even hit clinicals.

As a girl myself I am concerned. I get a vibe that her over-confidence and dominance is just compensation for really just being weak.

I haven't met many female medics before so I am just hoping that this one is a little off kilter and it's not just my misinterpretation. :)

Thanks guys!

nemedic

Forum Captain
I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced something similar. One of my EMT instructors doesn't have much teaching experience at all and has only been a medic for 5-7 years. Many hours of the class are spent with her using classroom time as a kind of "therapy" for herself, in that she only fills us in on the horrors she has experienced, how little sleep she gets, the trauma and counseling which she has sought, and how much she dislikes medic students because they "think they know everything" and "have no desire to learn" as a result.

She has gone into grand detail about her on-duty injuries and fellow crewmates illnesses, how unsafe a job it is and how hard she is to work with because she is controlling and OCD (self proclaimed), and how she thinks EMT's should do EVERYTHING because the medic has more important things to do.

My classmates are literally on the edge of their seats with eyes bugging out because of the explicit gory details she feels the need to share.

My other two instructors are nothing but encouraging, telling us what to prepare for but also helping us to overcome any apprehensions and assist in accepting the realities that people get hurt and sick. Most importantly, they stay on topic and address what we're actually going to be tested on.

Is this... unusual?

I don't understand why one would want to instruct EMT's if they are going to end up trying to scare the pants off them before they've even hit clinicals.

As a girl myself I am concerned. I get a vibe that her over-confidence and dominance is just compensation for really just being weak.

I haven't met many female medics before so I am just hoping that this one is a little off kilter and it's not just my misinterpretation. :)

Thanks guys!

It definitely seems that the lady I'd due for an early retirement, voluntary or otherwise

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Sounds like she has some sort of disconnect between what it actually means to be an instructor, and what she thinks it means to be an instructor. If she's spending all of her time telling about her past exploits rather than actually teaching, it's very unusual as well as inappropriate.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
I know several women that are medics, and good sensible ones. That don't ramble on about there "crazy" adventures.
Are the other instructors present when she goes on a story ramble? If not, perhaps talk to one of the other teachers about it. If you feel comfortable talking to them.
Class time is learning time not yarn spinning time. Some stories to get a point across is fine but to waste a session is not. You are paying g for the education.
Some students do have a attitude and preceptors hate that with a passion. Some just flat out don't want to have a student at there heels. Others love having students along and take moments to teach a pearl moment. Each preceptor will be different.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
The female medics I've met have all been awesome. I have noticed one thing about female EMS providers though. Established female EMS providers always seem to be much harder on female new providers than male new providers. As a newer EMT myself I have noticed that I get a pass on things that I know my female counterparts got hammered on. I know this tends to happen in other male dominated fields as well like aviation and law enforcement. I've seen female captains just tearing up a new female first officer for something that the week before a male first officer did with the same captain and didn't get called on.

I have two theories on why this happens.

1. Female providers feel as though they have to hold other females to a higher standard so as to prevent loss of respect in the field for women in general.

2. Jealousy

I would be interested to know if your class is mostly male or female?

OP
OP
B

buenafortuna

Forum Ride Along
The female medics I've met have all been awesome. I have noticed one thing about female EMS providers though. Established female EMS providers always seem to be much harder on female new providers than male new providers. As a newer EMT myself I have noticed that I get a pass on things that I know my female counterparts got hammered on. I know this tends to happen in other male dominated fields as well like aviation and law enforcement. I've seen female captains just tearing up a new female first officer for something that the week before a male first officer did with the same captain and didn't get called on.

I have two theories on why this happens.

1. Female providers feel as though they have to hold other females to a higher standard so as to prevent loss of respect in the field for women in general.

2. Jealousy

I would be interested to know if your class is mostly male or female?

That's really interesting. I am one of 4 or 5 girls in a class of 20.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
As a female Paramedic, (19 years now) I have seen that happen numerous times. And it has happened to me. Both during clinicals and after being hired as a medic. Once out in the field, use your expertise and confidence, let things roll off your shoulders. Know that you are going to meet all sorts of this type of person. What ever you do, do your best and keep your head up, literally. That person will either soon move on, or know you know your business.
Now, about your instructor in your class, if all or the majority of the class feel the same, you ALL need to speak with someone, the sooner the better. You should have an advisor (hopefully not her), go to them. If she is your advisor, go to a different advisor. This is not productive and a waste of your time and money. I wish you and your classmates the best and hope to hear from you that things have improved.

EMS49393

Forum Captain
I'm a female paramedic that teaches and precepts pretty often. This behavior is not acceptable nor should it be tolerated. I don't go into depth about any calls I've run unless they have teachable moments that can help a new provider avoid the same mistakes I have made in my past. Even then, the detail is around that teachable moment, not the "trauma" of the call itself.

I spend much more time teaching people how to use equipment, how to interpret findings, how to properly assess a patient and process unique findings to create an over-all picture of what is happening. I also do a lot of teaching about pharmacology and physiology. I've never been a war stories kind of gal.

I have to agree with some of the others, this chick is headed for an early retirement.

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
My two emt instructors did the whole bad cop good cop thing.. it was classic!! Ems is like any other job out there.... you do how ever have risk of being shot, getting the funk or getting hit by a car...

Archymomma

Forum Crew Member
I've had two female Medic instructors - both were excellent and did not do what yours is doing. They would tell stories but only if there was a point that emphasized what was going on in the class room. Neither one was harder or softer on the female students.
They both also had many more years of experience than yours does and had taught for a long period of time.

You and the class need to talk with the director of the program or whoever the lead instructor is for your course.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
This is the bottom line:

You are only responsible for YOU.

She is probably 'there' for a number of reasons and one is to supliment the defficient salary or an EMS provider.

Keep up with the coursework on your own. No matter what she does, you benefit. She either tells you some good tidbits on how to act or serves as an example of how NOT to act.

I have noticed that too often that in EMS, and any job for that matter, one a female moves up the pole, they tend to belittle people lower down the 'pole.' Especially other women.

Don't be THAT female.

They are very tough on other women. If a guy lets it roll of his shoulders, they will either keep going until the guy cracks or at some point give up and then consider that guy part of her inner circle.

Don't be THAT guy that cracks. Be THAT OTHER guy who deals.

Being a female in any public safety job is a challenge. I have encountered some that handle it and some who don't and the latter tend to take it out on other people; especially other females.

It is what it is but for what it is worth, (and I expect the usual beat down/flameing from all the weenies), but avoid a steady female partner when you ride.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Sounds like you already have an opinion. Thanks for sharing.

You are paying good money or that class, tell them you will demand a refund if you do not pass the final with that level of instruction.
The instructor obviously has issues, and may be making a heartfelt effort to share with you what it's really like; however, you will form that perception on your own, (plus with us here!);) Maybe asking questions to help direct her back on track will help?