SBCFD introduces ambulance operator program

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
I realize that, but if I'm going to keep making crap wages and work in some of the most ghetto areas of California, I might as well live in a better area while going to school. It really wears you out after a while. I'd be living with roommates anyway so rent isn't really a big issue.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
I guess. But living with roommates sucks when your used to living on your own and having privacy. Fortunately you probably don't have kids. You know anything about Santa Barbara pay?

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
I don't mind. It's easier while going to school to have less rent to worry about. SB is between $18-22 with night differential from what I hear.

Angel

Paramedic
just curious are there no unions in socal? i know up here, with union pay medics are starting at $24 i believe. which is decent.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
just curious are there no unions in socal? i know up here, with union pay medics are starting at $24 i believe. which is decent.

We are union.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Wait you make 10.xx as a medic Addrobo?

I'll stop complaining now.
I make 8 lol. But then again esch check has at least 128 hours of overtime on it.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We're hiring. Start at 17.xx I'm somewhere in 19.xx now with two years as a medic.
I make 8 lol. But then again esch check has at least 128 hours of overtime on it.

Totally different lol That comes out to right about what I make base salary.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Even if it were 24 hours it wouldn't matter. OT is anything over 40 hours in a week here. We work 4x12s or 3x16s, pay rate doesn't change between shifts unless you get an intern or FTO differential.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Even if it were 24 hours it wouldn't matter. OT is anything over 40 hours in a week here. We work 4x12s or 3x16s, pay rate doesn't change between shifts unless you get an intern or FTO differential.
At my part time AMR place, OT is still anything over 40 but your base rate goes way down if you work 24s or 48s because of the guaranteed OT and presumed less "time on task." Which is crap to me considering that those cars run as many calls as the 12 hour crews yet they work more hours per week. Basically you have to take a pay cut (substantial too) for a better schedule. Awesome.

Angel

Paramedic
At my part time AMR place, OT is still anything over 40 but your base rate goes way down if you work 24s or 48s because of the guaranteed OT and presumed less "time on task." Which is crap to me considering that those cars run as many calls as the 12 hour crews yet they work more hours per week. Basically you have to take a pay cut (substantial too) for a better schedule. Awesome.

thats how it is at my job too. we work more, but make less than the 12 hour crews. some weeks its not terrible because some days (in a 24) well run 0-3 calls. but when were running all day and night doing 5 hour transports it sucks.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
AMR Ventura or SB still pay better, than other places. Except, Gold Coast. They are union now and their union isn't doing much for them, from what I've heard from people I know out there. 911 and plenty of IFTs, don't expect less than.

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
FTO time has started for the AO program and we're running with the new san bernardino county EMS folks!

Angel

Paramedic
FTO time has started for the AO program and we're running with the new san bernardino county EMS folks!

so...whats the difference of how calls are dispatched for you guys (amr right?) vs the AO people? im assuming they have their own ambulances?
not sure if its where theyll jump on your rig and run critical calls are not. SoCal EMS is so confusing to me

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
so...whats the difference of how calls are dispatched for you guys (amr right?) vs the AO people? im assuming they have their own ambulances?
not sure if its where theyll jump on your rig and run critical calls are not. SoCal EMS is so confusing to me

San Bernardino County Fire only has ambulances in certain unincorporated parts of the county as well as the city of Hesperia. The AOs will be replacing limited term FFs and full timers on ambulances in all their service areas aside from Hesperia. Hesperia will retain limited term/full time staffing on their ambulances due to the SAFER grant.

This is how the high desert ambulance services areas are assigned:

AMR highs desert runs primary 911 ambulance responses in: Adelanto, Apple Valley, El Mirage, Helendale/Silver Lakes, unincorporated parts of Hesperia, Oak Hills, Oro Grande, certain parts of North Phelan, Summit Valley, and Victorville.

San Bernardino County Fire runs primary 911 ambulance responses in: Crestline and certain surrounding communites, Hesperia, Lake Arrowhead, Lucerne Valley, Phelan, Wrightwood, and Yucca Valley. Again, the AOs will replace existing personnel in all those areas aside from Hesperia.

These cities/communites are in close vicinity of each other with both AMR/SBCFD providing mutual aid almost on a daily basis due to severe bed delays (it's not uncommon for ambulances in this county to wait 6-12 hours for a bed!!!!! There's even a protocol allowing one crew to watch multiple patients due to all the strain the bed delays have put on the 911 system.

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
As to dispatching where I'm at, we have a our own dispatch (non PSAP, i.e. not a call intake center!) Commcenter does the dispatching for the county units and we all get the same pages, yes we still use pagers. How it's done is kinda nonsensical to me as with the new setup (they also have a box running out of Joshua Tree,) they send a county ambulance as the 'fire' side of things and we go to our transport areas with them to transport in our own ambulances. Waste of resources if you ask me, but no one asked me so that's how it's done!

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
As to dispatching where I'm at, we have a our own dispatch (non PSAP, i.e. not a call intake center!) Commcenter does the dispatching for the county units and we all get the same pages, yes we still use pagers. How it's done is kinda nonsensical to me as with the new setup (they also have a box running out of Joshua Tree,) they send a county ambulance as the 'fire' side of things and we go to our transport areas with them to transport in our own ambulances. Waste of resources if you ask me, but no one asked me so that's how it's done!
Ahhhh I see that you might possibly be employed with MBA.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Speaking about waisted resources the area I am doing my medic internship at has an area where they will send out 1 BLS Fire engine, 3 ALS Fire engines, and 1 ALS ambulance for any 911 call that comes in.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
Speaking about waisted resources the area I am doing my medic internship at has an area where they will send out 1 BLS Fire engine, 3 ALS Fire engines, and 1 ALS ambulance for any 911 call that comes in.
Dude, where? I know Redlands city seems like overkill sometimes but that just might take the take.