Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Also, I would like to reply about the idea that Saudi Arabia is a foreign country that does not like Americans. There are many expats working in KSA both at hospitals and for contractors. I have not worked there so I can not judge. All I can do is keep an open mind and do my research on Saudi Arabia. So far my findings have been positive.

I am not sure if you have worked in KSA, but I hope that you do your research also, and do not automatically jump to the conclusion that just because it is the Middle East, they do not like Americans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
Hi I just received, via E-mail my offer of employment on Dec 15th. I am currently waiting for my packet to come. Does anyone know, will this be sent via FedEx, or UPS? Also WTEngle did you have to send them your actual Passport? I read in one of your other post's that one of your envelopes contained your Passport. But I wasn't sure if this was a copy or what. This really seems like a great opportunity. I look forward to seeing everyone over there, and by the way, I'm known for some serious Xbox party's. So HALO or GEARS at my place.

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Your offer will come via FedEx package. You can actually track it by calling FedEx international and providing your address and the name of the sender (Saudi Red Crescent.) They may ask you for a tracking number, just tell them you did not receive one, and they should ask you for the other info.

Yeah, your actual passport needs to be sent to the visa handler. They actually affix your work visa to one of the visa pages in your passport. I know it feels weird to send such a personal and important document to a stranger, but it will be ok. They mail it back along with your other original documents.

Congrats...and you better watch out! I am a pretty good shot on Halo...

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I worked in Egypt for close to a year... I had an easy time in 2002-2003, although women could drive, people could drink, and it was easy going unlike saudi rules. I am sure you can expect some Saudis to not like Americans but if its anything like Egypt that wont be the majority. however DO EXPECT SOME A-HOLES just like any place. Be smart, stay safe, and show respect

McLenin

Forum Probie
remotemedic - thank you sir for your post, it is very realistic. We wrote about all the benefits and good things to expect. Now lets talk about hidden stuff from us. First thing i want to know, is WHAT is the living conditions. SRCA are sending invitations, but are giving excuses when it comes to a direct question about apartments. People who worked overseas, please teach us on common mistakes we make while working., like the deal with vacation time and taxes. As far as the pay they offered me, I dont really care to say much i will make. i understand people will think of it as personal info, but come on we are in the same boat. They offered me total monthly salary of 17,500 SAR. (ground EMT-P). I have traveled in Europe many times, and i found lots of people hating Americans. I can only imagine what is middle east think of us, so we have to stick together at all times. Good luck to you all ))

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
McLein, do you have a degree? How many years have you been a Medic? I think their basing wages on educational, and street experience? Still you have to add in free rent (So you can send most of your Salary home), and no taxes. It still seems like a sweet deal. I think most people have to remember that this isn't a DOD contract. It's a great experience to venture to another country and experience first hand a culture many westerners know nothing about.

Sweety

Forum Crew Member
Hi'yall

There are people in Saudi Arabia that do not like Americans. This is fact! However, when you get here do not make the mistake of thinking cause you are American you are better than Saudi's or that you should be treated any better than others. I have been here on and off for 5 years. Our accents stand out, we look western and we act western. I am lucky as a gal many Saudi men do not dare to talk to me in public ( except pre-pubescent boys in malls). I wear an abbaya when out, cover my hair when needed. I can't drive and I am careful who I am seen with in public - especially male friends.

There is a feeling by some that we shouldn't be here, but this goes for all westerners. Without western or foreign workers this nation would not last long, y'll see what I mean when you get here.

Is it safe? Yes. Your not likely to get your bag or cell ripped from your arm, you will get wolf whistles and being a female the attitude by saudi's is we are cheap and want Saudi men ( how wrong). Some male friends have been abused verbally in public. Some have been told "go home Amereki". Just watch which area you visit. Most Americans do not go out in public much. Some tell people they are Canadian. The embassy website gives good advice. Read it.

The hospital system and the Red Crescent is not like home. Things are different. We cant change the system but we work here by choice, no one is forcing us to be here. The "we don't do that like this at home" attitude doesn't work here.

You make what you want of life here. You can drink, yu can dance, you can party (like adults boys-forget Xbox), you can travel, you can have a life albeit different to how we do it back home.

I work in a hospital these days not EMS. We have heavy security all around. The RC guys don't. They work all over the city, they visit undesirable neighborhoods, they don't have security or Police with them. How many have been attacked? None that I know. Do they wear stab vests like London? No. Do they feel threatened? No more than where they came from. People, relatives get emotional especially when there is a death involved, just like anywhere in the world. Hopefully maturity and experience will guide you.

Hey you will feel like home there are more Yukons, Caddie's, and Crown Vics here than stateside!

Think of it like a holiday resort that wasn't like the brouchure depicted. Not all is glossy believe me, but you make it what you want. If you have doubts dont make the trip. If you want a challenge you'll get it.

The helicopter looks great. It has landed at my hospital a few times for training by the look of it.

Time to go pack bags for Chrissy in Dubai.

Look up the word insh'alla.... you'll here it heaps

Its sort of the Saudi way of saying "whateva" although means god willing

falcon-18

Forum Crew Member
Hello ,every body

I will back with some replay of post . I am busy a little but I will back with some american from ksa, I will try with him to joind to this fourm .

falcon-18

skysix

Forum Ride Along
They offered me total monthly salary of 17,500 SAR. (ground EMT-P)

Obviously what they offer depends on your experience - but it also seems that the offer is also based on where you come from (ie what the 90th percentile medic wage in the country you are trained in is)

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I have been speaking with the German Paramedic who worked the SRCA that we found on flickr. He has lots of good information, including names and numbers of taxi drivers that can be trusted ect. He said don't trust just any random taxi driver it can result in trouble.

He also brought some negative points up. He claims he had to sign a new contract IN ARABIC (no English)when you arrive there and it resulted in less pay than previously discussed for him.
He also said if your EMT partner speaks much English your lucky.

He also said to make sure get liability and health insurance.

ALSO he has pictures of his compound in Riyadh
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kschnacki/sets/72157605972507629/

and as discussed prior his SRCA photos can be found here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kschnacki/sets/72157605126874689/
WHich also include a video of him responding in the chase car.

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
I have read on the FAQ's at the emssaudirarabia.com website that there is a brand new compound that has been completed, and it is not open to the public, only SRCA personnel. There are no pics however. I think the German medic was living in old housing.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I have read on the FAQ's at the emssaudirarabia.com website that there is a brand new compound that has been completed, and it is not open to the public, only SRCA personnel. There are no pics however. I think the German medic was living in old housing.

That could be, I guess you will be the first to find out and let us know! Even if his photos are old it still gives you an idea I think.

In terms of the other stuff, all good information to think about. I am still tracking down the last of my papers Nakity has requested before I can be made an offer. Hope it all works out

falcon-18

Forum Crew Member
Inaugurated by His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Abdulaziz, ambulance service of the Red Crescent Authority

Saudi presence of His Royal Highness Prince Faisal bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz, Chief of SRCA.

HH and heard a detailed explanation of this service and services to be provided for people with the speed of resuscitated

And shorten the time to get them to hospitals, with the consequent increase in the opportunity to save people's lives, God willing.

He saw the governor of Riyadh, is one of three aircraft will enter service in the Riyadh region, expressing

Thanks to His Highness Prince Faisal bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz on the efforts undertaken in order to develop the SRCA.

12613297821.jpg

prince salman lsitent to DR/ omfaq albaiouk.

12613297822.jpg

12613297823.jpg

12613297824.jpg

prince faisal ( in the right of pic )withe prince salman (in the middle )and DR/ mofaq albaiouk (in the left of pic ).

10ad663b8c40cd866617ee97bf01a279_w424_h200.jpg

140bbf7f3c1e9216388f36c1db47ddf7_w424_h200.jpg

590d9cfcdc17efcf6b5d16552dad8b81_w424_h200.jpg

4f3afd3e1a6ab26d570d232cdfda0084_w424_h200.jpg

eaec14a25c7af94a092044720cc84517_w424_h200.jpg

ln03.jpg

Sweety

Forum Crew Member
Wow great photos. Is the German guy still with the Red Crescent? Why did he leave with so much going on?

Have a great Chrissie and New Year guys

KSchnacki

Forum Ride Along
German Paramedic

Hello folks,

this is the German Paramedic speaking. You want to know why I am back? One reason is that we made to much trouble. And that ends up in fireing one of us. The rumor was going on long. And at the end it was me. But I had no problem with that. The passport question was only one thing that went wrong. The vacation question is the other. You can take two times vacation. Not more. It is not the same then in our countrys take it if you want it. And travelling is only possible with multiple Entry-Exit Visa. Valid a half year and you have to pay it with 500SR. The other thing was the contract. Arabic is not my No. 1 language. But it is needed because it is Saudi Arabia!!! So be careful!! The pics of the new helicopter are nice. But there is no brain behind the money. And that is the biggest problem.

You can get in contact with Scott Sessions on Facebook. He is US and still down there with his family! Or ask Rhonda, his wife also on Facebook.

If you have any further questions please contact me.

Have a great Christmas time at home!! Down there is no Christmas allowed.

KSchnacki

Forum Ride Along

The compounds are never open to public! In some are only living US or Australian etc. in others are living Pakistan, Iran, Irak etc. We have been in a small one with only 25 appartments. And yes it was a bit older. All compounds are owned by Saudis!! There is no business without them!!

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Thanks for the info KSchnaki, very good to know.

You and your family have a good Christmas also!

Cheers

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Falcon,
Sweet pics of the chopper!

KSchnacki,
Hey thanks for stopping by! As stated KSchnacki is the German Paramedic we found on flickr I got my pictures from and have been communicating with who worked for SRCA last year.

Sweety

Forum Crew Member
Your the German that got fired. I met two of the German guys at a compond but I don't think it was you. Great guys having fun maybe with a different attitude to yours.

Saudi arabia is not the easiest country to work in. You need the right mentality and attitude as things are done different to where we come from.

I hope you enjoyed your time here. Are you working in EMS again in Germany. Do they hire US female Paramedics? I would be interested in working in Germany. What part of Germany do you work in?

Are you the German that loaned money from the bank and left or is that someone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.