Ride-Alongs

Alan le

Forum Probie
Hello everyone,

I am currently in an EMT program at Cal State Long Beach. I have to complete one shift of ambulance ride-along experience with a total of 10 documented patient contacts. I was wondering if I should do my ride alongs with a fire department instead of where the director will send me to do my ride alongs.

Thank you,

Alan Le

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's going to be up to your director on where you go. The school has to have a contract with any location you do a shift at.

If you do a shift with some company that is not approved or not cleared by your director you will not be covered under the schools insurance and your time there and any patient contacts will not be counted.

OP
OP
Alan le

Alan le

Forum Probie
It's going to be up to your director on where you go. The school has to have a contract with any location you do a shift at.

If you do a shift with some company that is not approved or not cleared by your director you will not be covered under the schools insurance and your time there and any patient contacts will not be counted.
My director said it is okay for me to get my hours done at a fire department. I want to get the best experience and I really think going to a fire department would be my best option to get the experience I am seeking for. Do you agree that it is?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Honestly don't expect much experience from a 12 or 24 hour shift.

If you want to be a firefighter then sure, a fire department would be a good option for a ride out (once again 12 or 24 hours isn't going to help at all).

OP
OP
Alan le

Alan le

Forum Probie
Honestly don't expect much experience from a 12 or 24 hour shift.

If you want to be a firefighter then sure, a fire department would be a good option for a ride out (once again 12 or 24 hours isn't going to help at all).
I do want to be a firefighter. Thank you, I'm now leaning more getting my experience from an ambulance company since I will probably have a lot of patient contacts..

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Depending on where you do fire ride-alongs, you could get quite a few contacts as well. 24 hours isn't a whole lot of time, and you definitely won't learn the intricacies of being an EMT/FF, but it's a great "taste" of what it's like. Be well-prepared, be observant, ask good questions, and you can take a lot from the experience even if it's not a huge chunk of time. Good luck!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Generally speaking if you are on an "assessment" fire engine you have a possibility of getting more patient contacts due to the fact you don't transport. As soon as the patient is on the gurney they clear from the call and are ready for another call.

OP
OP
Alan le

Alan le

Forum Probie
Thank you guys for responding. I am going to LAFD if I decide to do my ride alongs with them.

OP
OP
Alan le

Alan le

Forum Probie
Good luck with LAFD they generally don't take ride outs. Your program I believe uses Care, McCormick and Bowers.
Thank you! I decided to do my ride alongs with what the program will schedule me. I will do a ride along with LAFD another time. My question is now, should I get my hours done in an emergency room or get my hours done on an ambulance ?

Thank you,

Alan Le

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Are you planning on working in the field? If so, I'd suggest doing your ride-alongs on an ambulance.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Thank you! I decided to do my ride alongs with what the program will schedule me. I will do a ride along with LAFD another time. My question is now, should I get my hours done in an emergency room or get my hours done on an ambulance ?

Thank you,

Alan Le
Usually there are a certain number of observational hours required of each. Maybe just wait for your program to schedule you instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

OP
OP
Alan le

Alan le

Forum Probie
Usually there are a certain number of observational hours required of each. Maybe just wait for your program to schedule you instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.
I agree, I will be doing my ride along on an ambulance. I like to make things complicated .. Lol

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
One ride along is a check box for certification. You won't learn much and I don't think it really matters where you do it unless you are fishing for contacts or sccoping a company out.