Ride along disaster

Rdy2bmedic

Forum Ride Along
I am in the last semester of my medic program before summer internship. My ride alongs have all been horrid I was not aggressive enough ,but I feel as if you need to be one of the popular kids to fit in where there is only one company who employ's all meds so either you get along and play nice or you don't have a job when done. My thing is communication the company here employ's some 900+ ppl and so you never have the same crew to ride with or up to 3 different teams during a 15 hour shift , where I am supposed to be turned on the whole time and take every call that runs thru. If the medic communicates with me and a plan is made while in route to a call or before I would be fine an know what role to play. But in between calls medics go to the cottage where students are not allowed to watch tv , or sleep and no communication during the ride to the call partners talk to each other and I am left to guess what the **** they want me to do at the end of the day I was told that I was not on my game and was not aggressive enough, in class we assign our roles and lead directs the team I am awesome real world no one talks to the student medic and you are sol to find your role. How do I handle this any advice? I never worked as an emt got certified and accept all in less than a year I am awesome at school know my **** get good grades but 15 hour shifts and guessing games I am bad at.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Why the poll?

Oh, and thats impressive that you know your **** so well as a student. You come off humble. :cool:

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I know, speaking for my experience, when I was a medic student, I literally never had enough time to study, so, I was never trying to cozy up to the crew, I was always sitting at a table re-reading something or going through flash cards or something. I'd ask an opinion on a book question every few hours, and that would spark some conversation for a while.

Here's how you should come off while you're there: like a student. Not a team mate. Not a colleague. Not a friend. Not a potential future employee.

You have one single job, and that is to be a student. You should constantly ask yourself what you can do to be the best student possible whenever you find yourself in these "moments".

Edited to add:

And now I work with a lot of those people every day. And I've seen new students come and go. I'm not looking to hang out in the future with the coolest one that brews his* own beer or whatever. I'm looking to work with people who took their training seriously, out of respect for the well-being of their patients. There is always more to know.

*Edited again to add: or HER beer. Sorry for the overt sexism.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I've moved the thread to the Education and Training section and removed the poll because it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Have you thought about asking each new crew what they expect of you at the start of each shift? I used to ask at the start, then I knew what was expected of me on scene.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Suppose you went back to your post and divided it into things you said about yourself and statements you made about others? Then delete all of the latter and reconstruct your statement based on how you see yourself. That'll give you things to work on that you have control over -- much less frustrating than worrying about who's doing what to you, and why.

I see from your profile that you're 35, which means you have plenty of life experience to apply to your current situation. Think about what you've done to succeed in the past. What worked? How much of that can you use now?

OP
OP
R

Rdy2bmedic

Forum Ride Along
Thank you for advice, I in no way was saying that my skills are to par with a season medic doing the job is the only way to become one, I know what I have been taught which is enough to get me out there and on a truck at entry level. I **** **** up but, I am ment to at this stage. I had a 15 hr ride along today and the day went well, except when I was told outside in smoking area at base I was not to use my nicotine free e-cig which I got for today to help curve the crave of my 20 year smoking habit , I did not have a cig all day and used that to stay with in my rules , some said to say f you , that they can't let some smoke and others can't , I did not smoke out of respect and used a tool to help curve the cravings which is mostly about image the company wants you to look a certain way tattoos are banned those that are visible. All in all I had a good day, I am new at this and like anything it takes time.

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
20 year smoking habit. I am going to assume your nearer to 40 than to 20. If that is the case, you might also be dealing with medics a bit younger than you are? Not sure if this is something you are experiencing but it is not uncommon.

I would strongly advise to evaluate the type of student vibes you are putting out. Even your posts seem a little, agitated. If this is the tone that carries through the shift then that might be a good place to start. I don't know you so this is mostly generalized advice.

Smile and ask questions but don't be argumentative or presumptive and always remind yourself that you are a student. ( I try to maintain this even in the face of inaccurate information) It allows people to be comfortable talking to you.

Word spreads so mind your reputation at all times. Don't get too comfortable and I would say not to let your ambitions to be employed even be known during your shift. As far as the medics are concerned, you are one exam from not being there next week.

A general tightening up of your "game" seems to be in order but we would need some examples of what you are doing on a call to be able to comment.

Deep (smoke free ) breath and try to remember that for the most part, you are a guest. And you are being evaluated whether you like/know it or not.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I am in the last semester of my medic program before summer internship. My ride alongs have all been horrid I was not aggressive enough ,but I feel as if you need to be one of the popular kids to fit in where there is only one company who employ's all meds so either you get along and play nice or you don't have a job when done. My thing is communication the company here employ's some 900+ ppl and so you never have the same crew to ride with or up to 3 different teams during a 15 hour shift , where I am supposed to be turned on the whole time and take every call that runs thru. If the medic communicates with me and a plan is made while in route to a call or before I would be fine an know what role to play. But in between calls medics go to the cottage where students are not allowed to watch tv , or sleep and no communication during the ride to the call partners talk to each other and I am left to guess what the **** they want me to do at the end of the day I was told that I was not on my game and was not aggressive enough, in class we assign our roles and lead directs the team I am awesome real world no one talks to the student medic and you are sol to find your role. How do I handle this any advice? I never worked as an emt got certified and accept all in less than a year I am awesome at school know my **** get good grades but 15 hour shifts and guessing games I am bad at.

Your problem is your attitude. You're a student. Don't pretend to know crap, because frankly, you know nothing.

You do awesome in class? Awesome! That literally applies to almost nothing in the field, except knowing your basic general topics. Being an ACTUAL GOOD medic takes a lot of field time (years) with a bunch of call volume and variety.

If you have an issue with your preceptors, confront them about it, within reason. If that does not work, talk to someone who is in charge. Ask questions when you have them. But besides that, you really shouldn't be talking much.

Also, why do you need to go over a plan before arriving to a call? Are you lost without one? Maybe you arnt as awesome as you think.

Last edited:

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Thank you for advice, I in no way was saying that my skills are to par with a season medic doing the job is the only way to become one, I know what I have been taught which is enough to get me out there and on a truck at entry level. I **** **** up but, I am ment to at this stage. I had a 15 hr ride along today and the day went well, except when I was told outside in smoking area at base I was not to use my nicotine free e-cig which I got for today to help curve the crave of my 20 year smoking habit , I did not have a cig all day and used that to stay with in my rules , some said to say f you , that they can't let some smoke and others can't , I did not smoke out of respect and used a tool to help curve the cravings which is mostly about image the company wants you to look a certain way tattoos are banned those that are visible. All in all I had a good day, I am new at this and like anything it takes time.

Are you really complaining they told you not to smoke? You want to work in HEALTHcare and want to be an example to the public, but can't go 15 hours without smoking?

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
So OP, on the bright side it sounds like you still have a chance to pull of your ride time if you are just beginning your summer internship?

My advice, do a complete 180.

To an extent I hear your complaints. I had some difficult preceptors as well, some who really had no interest in teaching or having a student. But here is the thing, too bad. For better or worse it's the way EMS is and you are not going to change this over the summer.

I would advise you remove any blame or complaints from your mind. Arrive very day with a good attitude and work your tail off. Start every shift/call with the crew by explaining you are very eager to get some good call experience and to let you know if there is anything extra you can do to help (stocking trucks , cleaning etc). Pay close attention to criticism, even if you don't agree. I was also told I was not being aggressive enough, and so I doubled down and made sure I was the first in, the first one asking questions and directing the call. I would say what I was thinking out loud "Ok it looks like a STEMI, lets get moving and call it in .... or whatever". Don't worry about roles so much. You should be working on leading the call , and being able to perform tasks the same time.

You may not get along with every preceptor but if you keep up the good attitude and hard work I bet things will improve.

Good luck.