RFI. Anyone know what's up with AMR in NorCal.?

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
For a dollar or two an hour paycut...

Edit: And the union did by threatening to put in the intent to strike letter.

Strike doesn't mean a full walk off. It also allows other tactics like slow downs. That letter was a way of telling the company that there would be repercussions if they continued to refuse to negotiate.

As of now, I believe AMR has still not come to the table like they were supposed to this week...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Strike doesn't mean a full walk off. It also allows other tactics like slow downs. That letter was a way of telling the company that there would be repercussions if they continued to refuse to negotiate.

As of now, I believe AMR has still not come to the table like they were supposed to this week...

One of the many problems with striking in EMS in CA is there are 1,000 other EMTs/medics who will gladly take the job. This was made clearly evident during our coverage of the Gold Cross ambulance strike. 32 of their employees striking were fired. They hired 16 of them back and easily filled the other open positions. The employees who were striking either gained nothing at all or lost their jobs.

Not saying AMR will or even could do this. Just stating what could happen.

One of the many problems with striking in EMS in CA is there are 1,000 other EMTs/medics who will gladly take the job. This was made clearly evident during our coverage of the Gold Cross ambulance strike. 32 of their employees striking were fired. They hired 16 of them back and easily filled the other open positions. The employees who were striking either gained nothing at all or lost their jobs.

Not saying AMR will or even could do this. Just stating what could happen.

Whatever happened with that Gold Cross strike anyway?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Whatever happened with that Gold Cross strike anyway?

Fired all the employees striking, 32 of them. Hired 16 of those back with none of the things they were asking for. Filled the other open positions with other EMTs and Medics that turned in applications.

So in reality all they were successful in doing was losing pay (not working when they were striking) and getting some employees fired. So not successful at all.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
So are we going or what... Man
I hate not knowing.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
LOLz

Weaksauce
Hopefully I hear something by Friday.

I can't believe no one from there is on this board.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
LOLz

Weaksauce
Hopefully I hear something by Friday.

I can't believe no one from there is on this board.

I was told we should get more info by tomorrow so we will see. I'll either post or send you a PM if I get anymore info.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Just post
I'm sure there are more who want to know.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
My manager today said it doesn't look like we are deploying.

Stl

Forum Ride Along
A handful of us from St. Louis is signed up

We were supposed to go to Cali yesterday and was put on hold. There were a 10 or more ready and packed to go. no info was given at all about why. I just now stumbled across this....

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We were supposed to go to Cali yesterday and was put on hold. There were a 10 or more ready and packed to go. no info was given at all about why. I just now stumbled across this....

They are in talks right now which is causing the delay. From what I've been hearing they are far from making an agreement.

We have been placed on a "stand by for more info".

Stl

Forum Ride Along
We are constantly deploying everywhere. We are overrun with medics and are always sent to other states, and usually 2 out of the 10-20 that go end up loving it and staying.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Here's a question: How do people from out of state/county get quickly certified? My experience with CA is that it can take weeks for the state to process paperwork, and counties also take time. Some counties also require that an evaluator examine the transfer/new medic perform a number of ALS calls prior to them being allowed to work in the county.

So how can AMR take a group of people and put them to work in another area where they are unfamiliar with the protocols and also get them state/county certified?

gtucker

Forum Probie
I would imagine it works like are disaster response team. Different people grab from all over the country. I know you just follow your own county protocols. Just a guess though.

Stl

Forum Ride Along
Here's a question: How do people from out of state/county get quickly certified? My experience with CA is that it can take weeks for the state to process paperwork, and counties also take time. Some counties also require that an evaluator examine the transfer/new medic perform a number of ALS calls prior to them being allowed to work in the county.

So how can AMR take a group of people and put them to work in another area where they are unfamiliar with the protocols and also get them state/county certified?

We take a protocol test for the area We will be serving. And everyone has to be nr, and it took a week max to get the state licenses. Is it right? Ehhh, who knows... We are all a dime a dozen...

Stl

Forum Ride Along
We were in mass whenever the bombings took place and their protocol test was hard. 13 of our coworkers couldn't go because they failed the protocol test... It was different than our protocols here