reversal agents

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Ok,

Without using google, if you wanted to reverse the alpha 1 effects of dopamine, what would you use?

Do you have it on your truck?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have no idea if I'm close to right, but a while back I was talking to a medic about a call and he said something about drugs like Haldol or Phenergan have a blocking effect to the pressor effect of Dopamine. If that's true we do have Promethazine on the trucks

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Adenosine?

Bieber

Forum Crew Member
Ok,

Without using google, if you wanted to reverse the alpha 1 effects of dopamine, what would you use?

Do you have it on your truck?
Well, labetolol is an alpha and beta blocker, and we carry it on our trucks.

22cent

Forum Probie
Wouldn't it be more safe to just shut off the drip till the pressor effect subsides then readjust the titration for beta 1?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Hang on a second. Dopamine, while having similar effects as alpha 1 agonists, isn't actually an alpha 1 agonist right, because it has its own receptors? So an alpha 1 antagonist would likely counter the effects of dopamine, but not directly.

Is this a trick question?

And no, we do not have any alpha 1 antagonists on the truck.

blindsideflank

Forum Lieutenant
N/S @ TKO? w/patience, it has a short half life right?

alpha 1 EFFECTS but on dopamine receptors... dopamine can be broken down or turned into norepi i believe. now something that would REVERSE this not just act oppositely...
dunno, im goin with answer A)

blindsideflank

Forum Lieutenant
Hang on a second. Dopamine, while having similar effects as alpha 1 agonists, isn't actually an alpha 1 agonist right, because it has its own receptors? So an alpha 1 antagonist would likely counter the effects of dopamine, but not directly.

Is this a trick question?

And no, we do not have any alpha 1 antagonists on the truck.

dang beat me too it and said it better

Aidey

N/S @ TKO? w/patience, it has a short half life right?

alpha 1 EFFECTS but on dopamine receptors... dopamine can be broken down or turned into norepi i believe. now something that would REVERSE this not just act oppositely...
dunno, im goin with answer A)

Negative. They are both unique neurotransmitters, each with their own actions and receptors. Think of them like the elements (as in periodic table of).

Edit: I also want to add I did have an advantage because my partner and I were discussing dopamine last night, so the information was fresh in my mind.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Norepinephrine is synthesized from the monoamine neurotransmitter dopamine by way of the enzyme Dopamine β-Hydroxylase (DBH).

It all starts with L-tyrosine.

You can even go on to epinephrine by way of Phenylethanolamine-N-methyltransferase and a few cofactors.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
For some reason I want to say naloxone.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I'm just going to guess nipride, on the off chance that I wouldn't just turn off the dopa if I didn't want it.

Or maybe we're talking about a situation where we want renal-dose dopamine but not hypertension?

blindsideflank

Forum Lieutenant
Negative. They are both unique neurotransmitters, each with their own actions and receptors. Think of them like the elements (as in periodic table of).

As a member of the catecholamine family, dopamine is a precursor to norepinephrine (noradrenaline) and then epinephrine (adrenaline) in the biosynthetic pathways for these neurotransmitters.

from wikipedia unfortunately...:p

http://www.mcmanweb.com/neurotransmitters.html
Norepinephrine (also referred to as noradrenaline) is manufactured in the neuron by enzymes acting on the amino acid tyrosine, which convert it into L-DOPA, then to dopamine (more on dopamine in a minute). Some of the dopamine is then converted to norepinephrine, where it is stored in packages called synaptic vesicles. Just as norepinephrine is created by enzymes, it can also be destroyed by enzymes, such as MAO (which also destroys serotonin and dopamine). Hence the MAO inhibitors that represent the first family of antidepressants.

this is what i was thinking of but i dont really know if it applies

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

As a member of the catecholamine family, dopamine is a precursor to norepinephrine (noradrenaline) and then epinephrine (adrenaline) in the biosynthetic pathways for these neurotransmitters.

from wikipedia unfortunately...:p

http://www.mcmanweb.com/neurotransmitters.html
Norepinephrine (also referred to as noradrenaline) is manufactured in the neuron by enzymes acting on the amino acid tyrosine, which convert it into L-DOPA, then to dopamine (more on dopamine in a minute). Some of the dopamine is then converted to norepinephrine, where it is stored in packages called synaptic vesicles. Just as norepinephrine is created by enzymes, it can also be destroyed by enzymes, such as MAO (which also destroys serotonin and dopamine). Hence the MAO inhibitors that represent the first family of antidepressants.

this is what i was thinking of but i dont really know if it applies[/QUOTE]

See my above post:

Norepinephrine is synthesized from the monoamine neurotransmitter dopamine by way of the enzyme Dopamine β-Hydroxylase (DBH).

It all starts with L-tyrosine.

You can even go on to epinephrine by way of Phenylethanolamine-N-methyltransferase and a few cofactors.

Aidey

This is what I get for posting when I've been awake for 20 minutes.

I apologize, I was going off of a book from the early 80s. There have been a couple of changes since then.

For the record, no, I'm not reading 30 year old anatomy books.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
This is what I get for posting when I've been awake for 20 minutes.

I apologize, I was going off of a book from the early 80s. There have been a couple of changes since then.

For the record, no, I'm not reading 30 year old anatomy books.

It's quite alright. When I was finishing my undergraduate chem degree, I spent a lot of time focusing on dopamine the roles it played in the pleasure/reward system in various areas such as the nuclei accumbens...

As a matter of fact, the only reason I said "Adenosine" in my initial post on this thread is because I remember reading a study from not too long ago that referencing both of the drugs in somewhat of a manner which I assumed to be what Vene meant in his original post. However, I could have entirely misread the study or it could've changed in my mind over time... I was told in the OP I didnt have permission to Google so I went out on a limb and said, "Adenosine" because that study came to mind.. I think it was in the journal of Molecular pharmacology.

We'll find out if any of us are correct when Vene posts. Haldol makes sense as jtpaintball said, I just have never known a truck to carry it.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
It's quite alright. When I was finishing my undergraduate chem degree, I spent a lot of time focusing on dopamine the roles it played in the pleasure/reward system in various areas such as the nuclei accumbens...

As a matter of fact, the only reason I said "Adenosine" in my initial post on this thread is because I remember reading a study from not too long ago that referencing both of the drugs in somewhat of a manner which I assumed to be what Vene meant in his original post. However, I could have entirely misread the study or it could've changed in my mind over time... I was told in the OP I didnt have permission to Google so I went out on a limb and said, "Adenosine" because that study came to mind.. I think it was in the journal of Molecular pharmacology.

We'll find out if any of us are correct when Vene posts. Haldol makes sense as jtpaintball said, I just have never known a truck to carry it.

You guys and your chit chat have succeeded in making me feel completely uneducated tonight.

We carry haldol, and so do several other systems I know of around VA.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
You guys and your chit chat have succeeded in making me feel completely uneducated tonight.

We carry haldol, and so do several other systems I know of around VA.

Judging from the quality of your posts and our chit chat via PM regarding anatomy & your students, I can certainly guarantee that you are far from uneducated. :)

Tis all good, for all I know my thoughts on "Adenosine" could have been totally wrong.. I wasn't afforded the luxury of a search, he he. As I said before, we'll find out when Vene posts.