reversal agents

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Now that you've posted you could probably get away with a quick google since you cant edit your post.

Most of the reading I've done concerning neurotransmitters focues on their function/effects, not the chemistry, if that makes sense. In the context of how they affect psychiatry and psychology...mind/brain connection stuff (random, I know).

Doesn't haldol affect histamine receptors?

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Now that you've posted you could probably get away with a quick google since you cant edit your post.

Most of the reading I've done concerning neurotransmitters focues on their function/effects, not the chemistry, if that makes sense. In the context of how they affect psychiatry and psychology...mind/brain connection stuff (random, I know).

Doesn't haldol affect histamine receptors?

Haloperidol's effects come from its ability to block dopamine receptors (Specifically D2), as well as alpha and serotonin receptors. As far as I am aware, while haloperidol does have blocking effects on cholinergic and histamine receptors, it is actually minimal. However, the blockage of histamine receptors is enough to cause sedation.

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Good work to Jt,

Neuroleptics such as haldol or promethazine inhibit dopamine at the alpha 1 receptor :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
for a bonus, and again w/o google,

Why doesn't dopamine have effects on the dopaminergic receptors in the CNS?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Good work to Jt,

Neuroleptics such as haldol or promethazine inhibit dopamine at the alpha 1 receptor :)

Sweet :) I'll have to thank that medic and also read way more on the subject :)

8jimi8

CFRN
Good work to Jt,

What is the indicated dose for reversal and what is the max?

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Because it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. That's why to treat parkinsons you have to give a precursor like L-Dopa

You are far too esteemed for such a basic explanation :)