Resume for First Job

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I just got certified and got my license a couple of weeks ago. I'm starting to fill out applications online and, of course, they want my resume. I can't use my old one because it only has music education/jobs on it.
I know that I can list my education, but as this is my first job, I have nothing else to put on it. How formal and substantial does a resume have to be?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My advise would be to just list the jobs you have had. It shows that you have some sort of work experience. I would try to make it formal. I just used a templet from Microsoft word for mine haha

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Like everyone else said, a resume for an EMT job should look the same as any other resume. Don't omit work experience just because it isn't EMS related.
I have pizza delivery and business English teacher listed on mine.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Even when jobs are not necessarily related, you can highlight related attributes. When you have sales jobs, put a focus on customer service experience. Managerial jobs have increased your critical thinking, and ability to work under pressure. Self-employment shows dedication and strong motivation. Educational experience helps with critical thinking and shows motivation and good work ethic.

Any work or experience can be use to your benefit on your resume, it's just about how you place it.

MrJones

Iconoclast
The key is to list what you accomplished, not what your duties were. After all, hiring managers know the basic duties of most entry level jobs, so tell them what you did that makes you stand out. For instance, did you receive recognition for outstanding customer service? Achieve an advanced training certification? Select three or four bullets that highlight your achievements. It would look something like:

Pizza Delivery, Joe's Pizza -
  • Received District Manager's Commendation for Outstanding Customer Service
  • Selected over more senior employees to attend advanced driver training course
  • Consistently exceeded standards for speed and accuracy
  • Completed 9 semester hours of college while also working full time

Rick Tresnak

Forum Crew Member
List what you have as experience. Also any CPR certifications. Discuss in a couple sentences or less why you switched from your pizza position to become an EMT. Realize that people want to see work ethic, personality, and basic job requirements for hire. I applied at a job with a resume outside of my career path and I added my Briggs Meyer test results. (Personality test) It added just enough to land the position over some other applicants. The exact words when she saw the test results were "WOW you come prepared." I would also see about taking some NIMS courses Such as the IS-100,200,300,700 which you can do online. They don't say wow pick me pick me, but they show that you took some additional training and it may flip you in front of your classmates that may have applied as well.

Reactions: J B

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
I would also see about taking some NIMS courses Such as the IS-100,200,300,700 which you can do online. They don't say wow pick me pick me, but they show that you took some additional training and it may flip you in front of your classmates that may have applied as well.

Just an an FYI, only 100, 200, 700, & 800 are online and free. They are also the only ones you'd need off the bat, 300 & 400 are multi-day courses aimed mostly at top brass. A lot of places like some sort of hazardous materials awareness course as well, you may be able to find an online version through your state fire academy.

Rick Tresnak

Forum Crew Member
Just an an FYI, only 100, 200, 700, & 800 are online and free. They are also the only ones you'd need off the bat, 300 & 400 are multi-day courses aimed mostly at top brass. A lot of places like some sort of hazardous materials awareness course as well, you may be able to find an online version through your state fire academy.
I stand corrected. The idea is sound however.

OP
OP
ViolynEMT

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Well, I have a Master's degree. That should help. All of you are helping me to form correlations between my musical experience (ie how I handle stress and pressure) and I realize that the leadership position I hold at the present time should be an asset. I have more confidence in getting a job in ems. I really appreciate the advice.

Rick Tresnak

Forum Crew Member
Well, I have a Master's degree. That should help. All of you are helping me to form correlations between my musical experience (ie how I handle stress and pressure) and I realize that the leadership position I hold at the present time should be an asset. I have more confidence in getting a job in ems. I really appreciate the advice.

I actually had to remove my MBA from my resume because after four interviews I found I was being passed over. Partly due to my age (probably) But they thought I was using the position as a stepping stone. I basically minimized the education until the interview. That way I could discuss the position and my education directly.

Reactions: J B

MrJones

Iconoclast
I actually had to remove my MBA from my resume because after four interviews I found I was being passed over. Partly due to my age (probably) But they thought I was using the position as a stepping stone. I basically minimized the education until the interview. That way I could discuss the position and my education directly.
On the other hand, I list my Masters (Management), as well as the Masters I'm currently pursuing (Emergency Management) on my resume and have yet to have issues with getting passed over for a medic position. And I'm well north of 50 years old....

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Just the fact that you have a masters will help a lot. The majority of people applying for positions have no degree at all. Heck I got hired with really no job experience at all and just an EMT cert.

Rick Tresnak

Forum Crew Member
On the other hand, I list my Masters (Management), as well as the Masters I'm currently pursuing (Emergency Management) on my resume and have yet to have issues with getting passed over for a medic position. And I'm well north of 50 years old....

Wish I had the same experience. I took it off the resume and the next interview landed the position.

Guess it's the difference where we applied.

I have been in EMS since 1987. So it is cheaper to higher young bucks with little to no experience.

MrJones

Iconoclast
...I have been in EMS since 1987. So it is cheaper to higher young bucks with little to no experience.

That may well explain our differing experiences - I am relatively new to the field (it's my post-military-retirement 2nd career), so I guess you could call me an old buck with little to no experience. ;)

TheBuffOP

Forum Crew Member
I'm trying to go for a patient care tech job, should I list my clinical hours (patient contact hours)? I plan on working for a hospital (only job that could work with my school schedule) and volunteer for a 911 service every weekend (24hr).

J B

Forum Lieutenant
I'm trying to go for a patient care tech job, should I list my clinical hours (patient contact hours)? I plan on working for a hospital (only job that could work with my school schedule) and volunteer for a 911 service every weekend (24hr).

Hello SDN guy!